“Evening Meal”

Biggin Hall Country House Hotel
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Enjoyed an evening meal here after, being non-residents, pre-booking earlier in the day. Now there is no set time for arriving. We started with a complimentary Mulled Wine in the lounge whilst perusing the menus. Decided on the four course menu for £22.50/head. This had several choices for each course. We cannot fault any of the courses for quality and quantity, apart from the garlic mushroom starter which was not very tasty. The fourth course being a help yourself cheese board of six or seven cheeses and various biscuits etc. Coffee was taken in the lounge at our leisure. The whole meal was enjoyed in a very relaxed atmosphere with no pressure on the time taken. The total bill being less than £60 for two, it is a must for visitors to the area.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed here together with my parents for two nights- my parents liked it well enough to stay a third night. The rooms combine modern amenities with period charm and there are loads of little touches like mulled wine before dinner and free packed lunches to take walking. I would definitely go again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Emily A
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Recently stayed at Biggin Hall for a couple of days. I was accompanied by my 2 dogs and and my Dad, and we both had double rooms. I was very pleased with my room - number 14. One window looked out onto the front area of the hotel, and the rear window had a nice view of the fields. The bed was big and comfy and I found the room to be very functional. I managed to position the telly so that I could watch it from the comfort of the bath, which was most welcome after a day walking in the peaks! One - extremely minor - gripe about the room was that I wished the mugs were a bit bigger for my cup of tea or hot chocolate! The hotel provide lovely hot chocolate sachets, but the cups provided weren't quite big enough. As I say though, very minor gripe indeed. The room overall was lovely. I wasn't too keen on the set up of being sent to wait in a living room area to wait to order food. I think everyone was talking in hushed voices, and it just felt a little bit awkward. The staff were very nice though and I was very pleased with the food I had on both nights. I had the sirloin steak on the first night and the goats cheese bake on the second, and both were very tasty. Good variety on the menu as well. I have read some other reviews that had been unhappy about the standard of the breakfast. I could not disagree with this more! The bacon was proper, good quality, well cooked bacon, the sausages were good quality and the black puds were spot on. The standard of breakfast was much better than many other hotels I've stayed in. The time frame of between 0800-0900 is a bit draconian for breakfast. I think it would be a bit fairer for people on a trip away to be able to have a lie in until 9am! Just an increase to 10am would be fairer for the guests. On the whole though, this was a great hotel for our stay. My 2 dogs thoroughly enjoyed their stay at the hotel, as did I, and I would definitely recommend to anyone wanting to walk the peaks.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ResponseOne
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed in room 8 over the weekend and must say that we had a lovely relaxing stay. When we arrived the welcome was warm and friendly, it was nice to be given a bottle of milk to put in the fridge for hot drinks instead of those little UHT pots you get. We had two evening meals and food and wine was excellent, the packed lunch the following day was a nice suprise. We will be returning in the near future.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Had a lovely time here with my daughter.
Beautiful character property, with excellent food, friendly staff and terrific views.
Enjoyed wandering the grounds. Room was lovely with period details and an excellent bath.
Nice and close to Chatsworth House and beautiful drives through the Peaks.
Very comfortable and serene.
Would definitely return.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep in, ask for a room that doesn't overlook the geese! They are more effectiv...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Bliss3333
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Biggin Hall is very "quirky". Every room is different and from some bedrooms you have to walk through the dining room to reach reception, but you will be assured of a warm welcome, a comfy bed, hot water, excellent food, and a log fire in the lounge in cold weather. The staff could not be more helpful. This year unfortunately my friend and I experienced awful weather so our walking and horseriding were curtailed. However, our stay was as good as ever, the meals were amazing and our room very comfortable (we had the two room suite in the main house).

Room Tip: Our room on the top floor of the main building had a bathroom window, which is preferable to some in...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mary_Jane136
Reviewed September 20, 2012

This hotel was recommended to our walking group and 15 of us stayed for 8 nights. We were very satisfied with the accommodation and the evening meals were varied and well prepared. It is an ideal location for walking with several walks from the hotel and, if you have transport, well situated for getting around the Peak District. We had one very wet day out walking and had to dry our wet gear in the bedrooms. The hotel really needs a drying room which I mentioned to the owner who told me that they are planning to install one over this winter.

Overall very good value for money.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank moonstonedog
Also consider these accommodations in or near Biggin-by-Hartington
The Izaak Walton Hotel
#1 of 2 in Rowsley
Charles Cotton Hotel
Charles Cotton Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hartington

Been to Biggin Hall Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!