“Good place to bring visitors” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Biggin Hall Country House Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Biggin-by-Hartington
Biggin Hall Country House Hotel
London, United Kingdom
“Good place to bring visitors”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed here together with my parents for two nights- my parents liked it well enough to stay a third night. The rooms combine modern amenities with period charm and there are loads of little touches like mulled wine before dinner and free packed lunches to take walking. I would definitely go again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Emily A

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

Recently stayed at Biggin Hall for a couple of days. I was accompanied by my 2 dogs and and my Dad, and we both had double rooms. I was very pleased with my room - number 14. One window looked out onto the front area of the hotel, and the rear window had a nice view of the fields. The bed was big and comfy and I found the room to be very functional. I managed to position the telly so that I could watch it from the comfort of the bath, which was most welcome after a day walking in the peaks! One - extremely minor - gripe about the room was that I wished the mugs were a bit bigger for my cup of tea or hot chocolate! The hotel provide lovely hot chocolate sachets, but the cups provided weren't quite big enough. As I say though, very minor gripe indeed. The room overall was lovely. I wasn't too keen on the set up of being sent to wait in a living room area to wait to order food. I think everyone was talking in hushed voices, and it just felt a little bit awkward. The staff were very nice though and I was very pleased with the food I had on both nights. I had the sirloin steak on the first night and the goats cheese bake on the second, and both were very tasty. Good variety on the menu as well. I have read some other reviews that had been unhappy about the standard of the breakfast. I could not disagree with this more! The bacon was proper, good quality, well cooked bacon, the sausages were good quality and the black puds were spot on. The standard of breakfast was much better than many other hotels I've stayed in. The time frame of between 0800-0900 is a bit draconian for breakfast. I think it would be a bit fairer for people on a trip away to be able to have a lie in until 9am! Just an increase to 10am would be fairer for the guests. On the whole though, this was a great hotel for our stay. My 2 dogs thoroughly enjoyed their stay at the hotel, as did I, and I would definitely recommend to anyone wanting to walk the peaks.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ResponseOne
liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed in room 8 over the weekend and must say that we had a lovely relaxing stay. When we arrived the welcome was warm and friendly, it was nice to be given a bottle of milk to put in the fridge for hot drinks instead of those little UHT pots you get. We had two evening meals and food and wine was excellent, the packed lunch the following day was a nice suprise. We will be returning in the near future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

Had a lovely time here with my daughter.
Beautiful character property, with excellent food, friendly staff and terrific views.
Enjoyed wandering the grounds. Room was lovely with period details and an excellent bath.
Nice and close to Chatsworth House and beautiful drives through the Peaks.
Very comfortable and serene.
Would definitely return.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep in, ask for a room that doesn't overlook the geese! They are more effectiv...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Bliss3333
Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

Biggin Hall is very "quirky". Every room is different and from some bedrooms you have to walk through the dining room to reach reception, but you will be assured of a warm welcome, a comfy bed, hot water, excellent food, and a log fire in the lounge in cold weather. The staff could not be more helpful. This year unfortunately my friend and I experienced awful weather so our walking and horseriding were curtailed. However, our stay was as good as ever, the meals were amazing and our room very comfortable (we had the two room suite in the main house).

Room Tip: Our room on the top floor of the main building had a bathroom window, which is preferable to some in...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mary_Jane136
oxted
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

This hotel was recommended to our walking group and 15 of us stayed for 8 nights. We were very satisfied with the accommodation and the evening meals were varied and well prepared. It is an ideal location for walking with several walks from the hotel and, if you have transport, well situated for getting around the Peak District. We had one very wet day out walking and had to dry our wet gear in the bedrooms. The hotel really needs a drying room which I mentioned to the owner who told me that they are planning to install one over this winter.

Overall very good value for money.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank moonstonedog
Mobberley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

I would just like to thank everybody that I came into contact with at Biggin Hall from the front of house to the gardener for a fantastic restful night.

I have stopped at a few similarly priced hotels & never experienced the quality ( at the price ) that I came across at Biggin Hall.

We stayed in room 19, up a very pleasant little staircase. The room was fantastic, a huge comfortable bed, lovely clean bathroom according to my other half who runs a cleaning company.

Nipped to the pub next door, which could pull its socks up a little, though not really the fault of Biggin Hall & then had a fantastic meal at 8pm. Enjoyed the Pimms. I am no restaurant critic, so I will just say the food was very good indeed.

A brilliant nights kip and then back to the real world this morning after a very good cooked breakfast. I make my own sausages & keep chickens for eggs.

The eggs, sausages & bacon were great.

My greyhound also had a pleasant stay

In the words of General Douglas Macarthur - I WILL BE BACK !

Thanks Again

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BluemoondogMobberley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Biggin-by-Hartington
The Izaak Walton Hotel
Old Hall
Old Hall
#3 of 9 in Buxton
East Lodge Country House Hotel

Been to Biggin Hall Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!