Biggin Hall Country House Hotel
$180
$107
$82
$76
All reviewspacked lunchbefore dinnerbiggin hallcomplimentary pimmsthe main housea nice touchdining roommulled winesandwichespeak districtexcellent foodboth nightsfresh milkcheese and biscuitslovely hotelafternoon teaporridge
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Biggin Hall is very "quirky". Every room is different and from some bedrooms you have to walk through the dining room to reach reception, but you will be assured of a warm welcome, a comfy bed, hot water, excellent food, and a log fire in the lounge in cold weather. The staff could not be more helpful. This year unfortunately my friend and I experienced awful weather so our walking and horseriding were curtailed. However, our stay was as good as ever, the meals were amazing and our room very comfortable (we had the two room suite in the main house).

Room Tip: Our room on the top floor of the main building had a bathroom window, which is preferable to some inner rooms with bathrooms with fans which quite often do not work and the bathroom fills with steam and you are advised to keep the door closed in order for the fire alarm not to be activated. Also see website for dog-friendly rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mary_Jane136
Reviewed September 20, 2012

This hotel was recommended to our walking group and 15 of us stayed for 8 nights. We were very satisfied with the accommodation and the evening meals were varied and well prepared. It is an ideal location for walking with several walks from the hotel and, if you have transport, well situated for getting around the Peak District. We had one very wet day out walking and had to dry our wet gear in the bedrooms. The hotel really needs a drying room which I mentioned to the owner who told me that they are planning to install one over this winter.

Overall very good value for money.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank moonstonedog
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I would just like to thank everybody that I came into contact with at Biggin Hall from the front of house to the gardener for a fantastic restful night.

I have stopped at a few similarly priced hotels & never experienced the quality ( at the price ) that I came across at Biggin Hall.

We stayed in room 19, up a very pleasant little staircase. The room was fantastic, a huge comfortable bed, lovely clean bathroom according to my other half who runs a cleaning company.

Nipped to the pub next door, which could pull its socks up a little, though not really the fault of Biggin Hall & then had a fantastic meal at 8pm. Enjoyed the Pimms. I am no restaurant critic, so I will just say the food was very good indeed.

A brilliant nights kip and then back to the real world this morning after a very good cooked breakfast. I make my own sausages & keep chickens for eggs.

The eggs, sausages & bacon were great.

My greyhound also had a pleasant stay

In the words of General Douglas Macarthur - I WILL BE BACK !

Thanks Again

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BluemoondogMobberley
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Did one nights dinner B&B at the Biggin Hall as we had to vacate the house for my daughter's 21st party. Dog friendly place (good walking). The dinner menu was excellent. Beautifully cooked beef and pork, with a variety of veg, with free pre dinner pimms and half carafe of house wine included. Sticky toffee pud was melt in the mouth, not stodgy. Help yourself cheeseboard with a good half dozen or more cheeses (couple of ports were essential !) and coffee and mints to finish. Just nicely full, not bloated, then a great nights rest in a monster sized bed, firm mattress, with a well stocked coffee and tea selection, fresh milk in a fridge in the room. Help yourself traditional breakfast had everything you'd expect, including black pudding and fried bread. Only slight disappointment was the advertised sculpture trail on the website is getting a bit rundown - but other than that, a very comfortable stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Me and my new husband stayed here for as first two nights as Mr and Mrs, as a surprise gift from one of our aunties!
We arrived not far off midnight on the Thursday evening, to a set of instructions tacked to the door with a warm welcome and instructions on how to get to our room!
Upon finding our room, we were pleasantly surprised by how beautiful our room was. Lovely and clean with big stone windows and a lovely comfy bed (two single divans put together with some kind of mattress topper - not really noticeable however!)
The next morning we went to breakfast, served between 8-9 am, with a good selection of cooked breakfast, toast with condiments and a selection of cereals and fruit juices/coffee.
As it was our honeymoon we also decided to treat ourselves to dinner that evening. We went to dinner at 7 where we were told to wait in the lounge, an were offered a complimentary Pimms and lemonade, then the waitress took our food orders and shortly after took us through for our dinner.
The food was divine and my partner spoke to the chef during the day an saw him preparing fresh foods and the menus for that day!
We would both defiantly recommend coming here for a meal, but also to stay in the hotel! It is set in beautiful grounds and although it did rain the main day we were there, we do have a dive round the beautiful countryside!

• Stayed: August 2012