“Lovely cottage”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Biggin-by-Hartington
Cotterill Farm Holiday Cottages
Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for a long weekend (Friday - Monday) at the milking parlour. Had a lovely time, however a few minor points to be aware of.
1) we were unable to use to broadband that we had paid for. We mentioned to the owner at the time who suggested to try it on the laptop in the bedroom but still didn't work.
2) the cottage we stayed at said we had sky tv, however you'll find that you will receive more channels in a bog standard free view tv than in this sky package (bbc channels, itv channels and channel 4 channels).
3) if planning any evenings out do not rely on taxis. We went for a meal in hartington and the taxi firms we contacted quoted us a fare of £20 each way for a journey of less than 5 miles.
Despite these points above we did have a lovely relaxing holiday. The cottage itself was fab, and the complimentary bottle of wine was a lovely touch.

• Stayed: November 2012
Patrick004, Owner at Cotterill Farm Holiday Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Obviously we are sorry that our guests are ‘two issues’. So far as the wifi is concerned, in that cottage for some reason about 5% of occupants have difficulty obtaining a connection. When the guests iadvised methat with their mobile phone they were not getting a signal, I suggested that once they fired up their laptop they should try the bedroom which usually resolves all problems as there is a clear line of sight from the bedroom to the router, about 25 yards away.. I did indicate that otherwise they should try another inside shared heated area 5 yards from their front cottage door, and if that failed (and certainly that area has never failed anyone), they could use my office (which again is only 25 yards from their cottage and self contained and separate away from our house. I never heard anymore unfortuntately. Bit disappointed the guests have used the expression, ‘they paid for it’, its not actually true. There’s no extra charge for wifi use, it’s a service we introduced about four years ago and we did not put up our rentals at the time or since, our rentals having not been raised, in the last 5 years due to the recession. But I can see where the are coming from, it would have been nicer if they had written that they had perhaps chosen our cottages due to their being an advertised wifi signal, if that be the case.
Regarding the Sky. We make it very clear on our web site and all published material, that three of our six cottages have full sky programmes. The others are freeview Sky. I note the guests comments that freeview is better than freeview sky, but if the range of tv programmes is important, perhaps guests should ensure they book a cottage with full sky programmes.
I do appreciate very much that despite what are obviously two issues of importance to these guests, they have headed the entry in the way they have and that they have added that they had a lovely stay too.I suppose it does give me the opportunity of stressing what is in fact on our web site, namely that the full sky programmes are in: The Dairy, Dale View and Liffs Cottages, and the strongest wifi signals are in Dale View and The Dairy.
Just picking up on our guests concern of the cost of taxis, taxi use of an evening in the villages and in the country is of course a problem as there are hardly any Peak District villages with taxi based there, so most taxis have to travel out 11 miles from the nearest town, take the fare to wherever they want to get and then go back the 20 miles to pick up their next fare, so for most a minimum fare of £20 is inevitable, and a trip the 11 miles into Buxton would have been no more, perhaps a bit less. As it happens there is one firm in a village just 5 miles away who would have charged considerably less, and the details of this firm is in all our cottages.

There are newer reviews for Cotterill Farm Holiday Cottages

Reviewed March 27, 2012

I have stayed at Cotterill farm a number of times for a combination of business retreat and for pleasure and vacation. Ideally suited in the White Peak area of the Pennines it is close to many attractions and to the attractive village of Hartington. Cycling, walking and low level fell-running opportunities are numerous. The hosts, Patrick and Frances, are helpful and kind and have set up the cottages with many assets e.g. Sky, internet access and with a lot of advice about 'what to do' in the surrounding area. Buxton and the pretty town of Ashbourne are close by. A wonderful retreat and a wonderful part of the country.

Room Tip: No tips - they are all good and all have superb views
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 8, 2012

My wife, her mother and I spent a wonderful Christmas in the Milking Parlour at Cotterill Farm.The second we opened the door, Christmas itself greeted us.Christmas tree, mince pies,chocolates, Crackers, wine,etc etc. If you think of a chocolate box cottage and surroundings and add more and more you might get the picture.If you arrived there with nothing but what you stand up in, that would be enough.Its all there and more.
Patrick and Frances looked after us very well and were attentive and there when we needed them.
My wife and I will return in the summer to enjoy the beautiful surroundings and many walks.
We thank you for making our Christmas special.

Room Tip: milking parlour is on one level and has a large bathroom ,good for children, elderly or anybody with...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Overall, we had a lovely time at The Dairy - Cotterill Farm. It was clean and comfortable.

The views are stunning and it is so tranquil. It is great to have bikes available to hire from the front door and a laundry room too. Everything is extremely well organized and we hope to return in the future.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2012

Stayed in the barn just as you pull on to the drive 31/12/2011-2/1/2012.
The pictures provided don't do this place any justice. It's such a perfect quiet quaint little cottage. The locals are so welcoming, the pub is rustic loved every second of my stay. Will def be going back. Best new year I've ever had x thanks x

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed November 21, 2011

I have just returned from a 4 night stay with my partner. We had a fantastic stay. The 'Dairy' catered for all our needs. The welcome pack is well worth a go. It was spotless, welcoming, and cosy...Loved the log burner. There was so much to see and do couldnt fit it all in. Patrick is very enthusiatic about what he does....He is like a breath of fresh air...His information packs where up to date and comprehensive.
My only downside is that we couldnt stay for longer......We wil be returning in the future.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2011

I booked The Dairy at Cotterill Farm for a 4 night break for my girlfriend and I. On arrival we were met by a very enthusiastic and helpful Patrick who made us very welcome to our 'home' for the week. The Dairy was spotless and had everything we could possibly need for our stay.
Patrick and Frances have put together a comprehensive collection of folders full of things to do in the area, walking,cycling, tourist attractions, places to eat or drink the list goes on you can always find something to do. All put together to make your stay in the area as good as it could be.
Alternatively this is an ideal place to do nothing but relax. It's so snug and peaceful nestled in beautiful countryside.
I can't recommend a stay here enough and we will definitely be going back.

• Stayed: November 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Biggin-by-Hartington
Biggin Hall Country House Hotel
#2 of 6 in Hartington
The Manifold Inn
The Manifold Inn
#1 of 7 in Hartington

Been to Cotterill Farm Holiday Cottages? Share your experiences!