“Friendly little hostel”

Uenuku lodge
Munich, Germany
“Friendly little hostel”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We visited the Uenuku Lodge twice and got some really nice rooms. You could look over the city and the ocean and while lying in the bed you had a nice view onto the sky. The staff was really nice and helpful and the kitchen was well equipped. In the Ponsonby Road you have lots of possibilities to go out or get some good coffee and snacks in nice little bistros.

Room Tip: Take the rooms upstairs - nice view!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Juliane H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed two nights on our arrival and cane back at the end of our trip! We were delighted by the friendly service and cozy rooms. Really affordable and located in a dynamic neibourhood. The staff was very helpful, cheery and very accomodating.A great cosy base to discover Auckland!

• Stayed March 2013
4 Thank julipopoki
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed in a 4 bed dorm room which had a AMAZING VIEW of the city, this is the type of view i would expect in a 5* hotel.
The room had large lockers which was great knowing my belongings were VERY SAFE.,
When i arrived at the hostel there was private parking for FREE, which is FANTASTIC, I was greeted by a very HAPPY, KNOWLEDGEABLE Japanese receptionist who welcomed me to the lodge
and provided me with FREE UNLIMITED WIFI voucher which is unheard off in new zealand :-) so a real BONUS great for using skype or watching movies, i didn't actually have a computer but was told thats not a problem as there is a free computer to use in the lounge :-) along with a reading area and games to play.
The lovely Japanese receptionist provided me with maps of the city and her personal opinion on places to visit and things to do during my stay in Auckland. :-)
I had arrived in the evening and was hungry, this was not a problem as the reception was open till late and all along the road by the hostel there are many bars and cafes, open early till late offering a wide variety of foods from around the world, there was also a supermarket opposite the hostel open till late which was great because the hostel has a very well equipped kitchen with many spices and sauces free to use, There was a real fun, relaxed environment in the hostel which was infectious,
In the evening was great to sit in the garden with the other guests and exchange travel stories, it felt like a family which was really nice and made me want to stay longer, i made some great friends with the guests and staff and when ever i am back in Auckland i stay in UENUKU LODGE, Best hostel by far. STRONGLY RECOMMEND HERE :-D Thanks to all the wonderful staff who made my time in Auckland unforgettable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank andrewneilscott
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Stayed here begrudgingly for 1 night b4 we got our camper & after a week at Ponsonby Backpackers – what a difference! As lovely, helpful & kind as Seema the owner was, the hostel itself is pretty disgusting. Our private double room was fine, it was actually the cleanest part of the hostel. Located on the 2nd floor, at the end of a narrow soulless corridor our room consisted of 2 single beds pushed together with mattresses like a sponge, a sink and a little dresser, the floor had been freshly hovered & all surfaces were clean. The room however had so much more potential as the windows were huge with views onto Ponsonby Road and the hills beyond.

The communal areas of the hostel are filthy - doors & walls that were once white are definitely in need of a paint refresh – or even just a wipe with disinfectant/anti-bacterial as most had grubby hand marks & stains everywhere. The ‘living room’ with its couches and tv was very unappealing - I was amused by the “remove your shoes in this area” sign; how ironic! The kitchen……not sure where to begin. Absolutely not fit for food preparation. Flies everywhere, I appreciate it is summer & it’s hot but there are ways to control it. The floors & surfaces were filthy at all hours of the day, there was a patch that I noted beside the fridge that was covered in a splashes of liquid, sticky residue & dust, the tops of the fridges looked as though they had never seen a cloth, the whole area actually made me feel sick & I cannot believe people use this area for cooking.

The outside garden smells like a stale ash-tray, the picnic benches were covered in full ashtrays and dirty coffee cups, flies were all over the tables due to the dirtiness of them and the food debris stuck between panels. There is bric-a-brac throughout the garden giving the place the feel of a garage sale. There’s a small water feature in the garden & upon closer inspection I noticed a large bulbous goldfish bobbing at the surface with numerous bluebottles feasting on it, when I pointed it out to the nearby staff & said ‘you have to remove it’ they laughed! The owner Seema also pointed it out to them, the next day it was still there.

Overall, I would not recommend you stay here. The hostel needs a major deep clean & renovation in order to compete with others in the area. The hostel is busy but I suspect it’s due to overspill from others not through choice. The owners/management need to hire and effectively train staff that are passionate about maintaining standards.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank LulaBird

Travelers are raving about these Auckland Region hotels

Austin, Texas
Reviewed January 12, 2013

This place is disgusting. I would have slept in my car had I known how gross it was. There were dead bugs stuck to the wall (and live ones crawling everywhere). The bathroom and kitchen are filthy- as are the sheets, pillows, and mattresses. There were blood splatters all over the wall. And it isn't even that cheap, especially if you want a private room with private bathroom- you may as well go to an inexpensive hotel or motel instead of this dump.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank mo p
Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Only stayed there because Ponsonby Backpackers was fully booked (rather unexpected for this time a year but I have certainly learned my lesson!!).

On arrival the room price turned out being $55/night as opposed to the $39 advertised online. Not the best of starts.

My single room was located right next to the communal garden (immensly noisy for most of the night). They say they close the garden at 10.30pm but midnight would probably be more accurate and even that was only thanks to some other guest who complained about the noise.
As if that wasnt enough the main toilet on the ground floor was right in front of the room and there was numerous people who mistook my room for another loo in their drunken state and continously tried to enter. To add to the annoyence the communal lounge was right opposite the room as well and noisy until very early morning.
Dont think you could locate the single room in a more inconvenient location. It seemed much quieter on the first floor where all the dorms are.

In general most of the other guests seemed incredibly inconsiderate in terms of keeping noise down after midnight also which didnt help and I think the staff could do a lot better in controlling this.

The heater in the room was broken and it was freezing at night but eventually the reception girls (with rather limited English) understood that I needed another blanket if not two.

The bed was super uncomfortable, the sheets stained, the walls smudged, bedbugs??, the list goes on...

I am aware of the rather central location of this hostel (Ponsonby is a great area) and I also appreciate that sometimes you get what you pay for but at UENUKU you certainly get less. I used to run one of the cheapest hostels in London and do understand value for money but I think Uenuku could definitely do a lot better on the value side.

No, I regrettably cannot recommend you ever stay here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank nAndyn
Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I didn't enjoy my stay here unfortunately. The location is good and the Manager was friendly but that was it. The other staff member had limited English which is odd and a strange start, the area I stayed in all smelled of mould - yuk! Very grubby looking. I had booked a single room so I could have my space and do some work and reading, but as the room only contained a sink, shelf and a bunk bed, I was unable to do anything, being a bunk bed you don't even have enough height to be able to sit upright and the bottom bed and I'm passed the point of climbing a ladder to sleep on the upper bed. The mattress and bed was soft and caved in and on top of that the room door had a glass pane in it, so that the lightbulb right outside it in the hallway shone light through my room all night long (I eventually managed to shove my towel into the door frame to hang over most of the glass. I didn't even want to venture into the shared lounge and kitchen from what I saw when shown around. Not going back again under any circumstances, would rather sleep in my car! At least it's clean and I can sit upright, and the internet is cheaper and more reliable through my cellphone than there also!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo