“Definitely worth a try, it will not disappoint!”
Review of District Dining - CLOSED

District Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We ordered two mains, two entrees and two desserts and everything was excellent! Everything was plated beautifully and cooked to perfection. The style of dining is "to share" but to me it seemed the only difference was that side plates and serving cutlery were provided with each course, but nice idea nonetheless. The staff we encountered were all very friendly and attentive. There was a nice atmosphere to the dimly lit place and by about 7.30 or 8.00pm it was surprisingly busy for a mid-week night!

Reviewed October 9, 2012

I was curious to try District Dining after driving past it multiple times and hearing it come up in conversation occasionally, needless to say I wasn't disappointed.

My partner and I went along on a Friday night, it was very busy, but considering the amount of people there wasn't too noisy, it still felt intimate. It's over all atmosphere is very cool, it fits in perfectly with the Britomart vibe which we both love and enjoy. So if you like going to the latest restaurants in the trendest areas then this place is for you.

The concept of District Dining is the sharing platters, which is the latest thing in food in Auckland at the moment. There was enough food on each platter that we felt we'd eatten enough plus with the added bonus of being able to sample multiple dishes. At the end of the meal the bill made for a nice surprise as it was all very well priced, even including drinks.

I would recommend District Dining for anyone who loves the Britomart vibe and doesn't mind the whole sharing platters concept.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

The food was excellent and the service was attentive. We hadn't been before so the waiter explained the sharing concept. the only trouble is that all the dishes to share arrive at the same time ( ie all the starters at once and then all the mains at once) not in sequence as one would expect with this menu concept and there is simply not enough room on the table for the dishes. A lot of juggling and passing plates involved. My only other comment was that the light was so dim it was difficult to fully appreciate the visual aspect of the dishes. If we went again we would ask for the dishes to be staggered both from the table space and eating aspect.

Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

Of all the spots we've tried, this one hit all the high points. My husband and I are long time food and bev professionals and well traveled food lovers.

There are multiple portion sizes available and a diverse range of ingredients and flavors to please even the most discriminant palate. Everything was perfectly cooked and seasoned, don't even think to reach for salt! A true delight to experience as the chef intends.

We tried a snack of crispy pig ear, cut into slivers like fries and dusted with schezuan salt. I joked that they might also involve crack because I couldn't stop!
We also had veal tongue with sweetbreads, mushrooms and a smoky aioli. A great combination of textures and so delicious.
We followed that with the market fish-blue nose- with crispy skin, eggplant relish and curry aioli. Perfectly moist fish with wonderfully crisp and seasoned skin. Indian flavors marked by a crisp papadam.
As if we didn't have enough diverse flavors we also had a little side of broccoli and tofu sautéed Asian style with chilis,soy,and scallions. Mmmm
Dessert was a delightful apple-rhubarb crumble with warm custard on the side. Tender fruit, not too saucy & custard I wanted to drink out of its carafe...

Service was seamless, friendly and familiar at the right times but unobtrusive. Thanks Clint! (by the way, I do not know any of the staff or ownership personally, I made a point of noting his name because we had such a wonderful night.)

Final note: seek it out and go there!

Reviewed August 31, 2012

Atmosphere is cool without trying to be, no pretensions, just an all around superb dining experience. Knowledgable waitstaff provide attentive service without being in your face. The menu is excellent and will challenge your taste buds in a very good way. Great for both a romantic night out, or a group.