“Back again - still great!”
Review of Atico Cocina - CLOSED

Atico Cocina
Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Auckland
“Back again - still great!”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We returned to Atico Cucina this time to try their a la carte menu. The atmosphere and service was had not faltered one bit - still as welcoming as the first time we went. For an entree I recommend the cerviche. It was exceptional, as was the goat curry I had for main course. My husband had seared tuna for a main and is still raving about it.
This time we went on a Friday evening and were treated to a Salsa dancing display, and lesson for those game enough to try! After a glass or two of Chilean wine we were limbered up enough to give it a go and had a ball working off the dinner. Too full for dessert unfortunately - but judging by the scrumptious looking dishes making their way to other tables, we may have to try to save enough room next time.

• Visited November 2012

Auckland, New Zealand
“worse than faulty towers”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

the service was beyond a joke. My entree never arrived, after having been told it wouldn't be much longer the next time I enquired I was told it hadn't been ordered. In the end I gave up on the entree. The manager was on a go slow even though there was more than a 30 + minute wait at the bar to get a drink. though the poor bar girl running out in tears did provide more entertainment than the salsa. make sure you check the bill, the manager had a habit of mistakenly charging for a bottle instead of a glass of wine. there was a melt down by staff in the kitchen too. we did have a big group which I think threw them a bit, but is no excuse for appalling service. the food was poor to average. it is shame, as the setting promises so much

• Visited May 2012
“Hard to fault”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

A lovely Caribbean style restaurant in the new Victoria Park development. Great food, awesome margaritas and attentive service. If it's a sunny day then try and secure a table outside on the sun drenched deck but if not then enjoy the trendy and inviting decor inside.. A wonderful spot for grazing and relaxing the afternoon away.

Auckland
“"a warm caribbean night out"”
Reviewed April 21, 2012

My partner booked this place following advice from a friend to celebrate our anniversary. We were seated in the VIP area, perfect location for us, warm and sleek. The service was great, very attentive waiter. We had a three course dinner with Crayfish soup as started and a jerk chicken to share. Our mains were duck (best I ever had) and a lovely tuna mediterranean style. The wine was from Chile following the waiters recommendation, Montes Syrah. We will be back to try some cocktails and more of those tempting tantalisers.

Made in NZ
“Gourmet food in a relaxed spacious environment”
Reviewed April 11, 2012

We ate here as a family group, so we got to sample a lot of dishes. Firstly we shared some "tantalisers"; yummy empanadas, and 'arepas' - thin corn crackers with guacamole & salsa. For a main I had a salmon "special" - a super-tasty treat, succulent perfectly cooked salmon served on sliced courgette, asparagus & other vegies with a spicy salsa. My partner ordered another "special" & received melt-in-the-mouth duck served with figs, bok-choy & a plantain mash - yuuum! Let's hope they keep those two on the menu! Others in our group ordered the tuna, steak, and chicken mains and they all enjoyed their meals. The Monte Alpha Syrah - a Chilean wine - provided good accompaniment to the latin-influenced dishes. The deserts were stylish but not so flavoursome & tasty as the mains. I would definitely return to eat here when I'm in AKL again.