“Unclean and Smelly.”

Borders Beyond
Hamilton, New Zealand
“Unclean and Smelly.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

Beds were wholly uncomfortable and clearly hadn't been washed when we arrived despite our booking well in advance. The room was deplorablly untidy hardly the hostels fault, but there seemed to be no real rules in the place.

The corridors actually stank, nauseatingly so. In terms of facilities the kitchen was well equipped although the whole 50c per 6 minute shower was utterly ridiculous.

I'm sure you could find nicer places to stay in the area. Avoid.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ihjuawn88

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Mallow, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed here for one night when down in Auckland for the weekend. We chose Borders Beyond for the location (10 minute walk to city centre) and the advertised free parking. We arrived Saturday night and parked in business parking next to the hostel, but if it was during the week would have ended up parking on the street. There looks to be around 3-4 parks inside the hostel ground, with the rest of the business parks free over the weekend.

We went out that night and left in the morning so just used the place for sleeping and a shower in the morning. The staff were friendly and our double room was a decent size with a couch and good bed. No rubbish bins in the room though and even though a put my 50 cents in the shower it was cold. That said my girlfriend said her shower was hot and I was pretty hung over so maybe I did something wrong??

I thought the place was pretty untidy with the showers and kitchen a bit of a mess - that said it was a Saturday night/Sunday morning and people had been out drinking and we left before the staff had had a chance to clean.

Overall I thought the location was great and the price good but I probably wouldn't bother coming here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed twice in Borders Beyond and it was each Time a realy good experience! If you are looking for a small backpacker clean, welcoming and with a family atmosphere you should go there. The rooms are Nice specially number 12 but for sure you will not stay in your room because Of the friendly sharing kitchen and living room. To be honest the best point Of this hostel is the owner, David who Will always HELP you as much as he can! When we arrived in New Zealand he helped us for the first steps (bank acount, IRD, cell phone num....) and when we lived he made our last moments unforgettable! So Of course we recommend this fabulous place and thank David and his crew ( specially the great night manager: Katia for being so helpful and conscientious). From France with love! Jo & Nabila

• Stayed May 2013
Santiago de Chile
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Excellent place to stay in Auckland, especially for the price and the quality you offer specialist, is one of the cheapest hostels in the city. David and the staff always smiling and helping in whatever you need, we stayed on two occasions because the location is great, about 15 minutes walk from the center and about 10 minutes walk from the bus stop that brings you to the airport, near the hostel there are many places to eat and a supermarket. During our stay we saw the staff always keeping the place clean. Also, what is nice is the dinner where all cooked in a warm family atmosphere, where all talk, watch TV, read or just connected to internet. Thank you very much for everything!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bielefeld, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Great place. It was recommended by people I met at the airport. The manager is nice, friendly, helpful and funny. The other guests were very nice. Overall it was a very good atmosphere. I felt comfortable. Although the beds are not that comfortable, I'd defenitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

My first time staying in a hostel. I was hesitant to say the least. Greeted by Eve the on site manager I knew it was going to be good. She made sure I was checked in to what was available when my accommodations were not ready yet. After a nights rest she was the first to ask how I slept, genuinely. She is great!

I house was full of a lot of younger people working and traveling out of the hostel. It had a real family feel to it. Very friendly and welcoming. I had a little car trouble one night and came in late too the kitchen full of people cooking, laughing, singing to music. It was like coming home.

I made sure to book another stay before my flight back.

They only thing I would ask would be more refrigerator space.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

not into the CBD, but pretty close (10min walk), so it's good coz it's a quiet area. near to ponsonby too. bed are pretty comfortable. it's a little bit noisy downstairs, but there is a curfew every day to avoid late noise. so perfect place for those who like calm atmosphere and quiet neighbourough. 50c for 6min shower, but the accomodation is cheap (maybe the cheapest in auckland) so it's so ok to paye for shower, it's anyway cheaper than any other place. lot of french and english people, almost only european customers. David is helpful and nice. so it's a good place to stay

Room Tip: rooms upstairs are quieter