“Auckland's most pathetic hotel!!”

Auckland Harbour Oaks
Pretoria, South Africa
“Auckland's most pathetic hotel!!”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

My family stayed in a Harbour View 2 bedroom apartment (36C) on 7 & 8 April 2013. This hotel was even proposed by the travel agent as a 4.5 star apartment with views. It is nothing more than a 3 star hotel in a seedy area of the city. It is directly across the road from 2 strip bars and in a street that was not safe to walk in at night. The lobby is small and has an old computer for supposed internet access. The parking is tiny and I was only informed on check in that it's an extra $20/day. The staff was very unhelpful and were not even willing to accept my HSBC Visa debit card. The rooms themselves are ok, but the access to your room is terrible. We were on the 36th floor and the lifts took ages! The balcony is not a "balcony" but a step out onto a small landing. The harbour views were good but it was very noisy at night due to the bars and strip joints just under the hotel. For a 4.5 star property I would expect so much better. My advice is DO NOT STAY HERE! This was the worst hotel experience I have ever had and I have been in many hotels. We wish others not to go through the same bad experience!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Theuns E
UdaiSarin, Director of Sales at Auckland Harbour Oaks, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you so much for your feedback and please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was less than top notch. We are shocked to hear about your experiences and would like to get more information so we could improve our services, please contact us on feedback@vrhotels.co.nz.
All feedback is used in assisting us to improve future guests’ experiences through your observations. I would love for you to contact me as there a number of issues you have raised in your review that are a real concern to me. I am not one to take such things easily and need to address them after receiving more information. Happy to note that the room itself and the views met with your satisfaction.
Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sunshine Coast
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed at Auckland Harbour Oaks in March before our NZ cruise. It is excellent value for money. It is within walking distance to the port, we actually walked with our luggage for embarkation. It is in walking distance to restaurants, the harbour and shopping centres.

We had a one bedroom apartment which was very comfortable and had wonderful views over the harbour. When we woke up in the morning, there was the Diamond Princess waiting for us..... lovely.

We would stay there again.

Room Tip: Get a harbour view room..... it is worth the extra for the harbour views.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank BillyandCharliesMum
Dear Valued Guest,

It is great to hear that you had a first class stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and encouraging our belief in "happiness through hospitality". Please stay in touch and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future!
Hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise.

Warm regards
Melbourne AUST
Reviewed April 13, 2013

My family stayed in a Harbour View 2 bedroom apartment (30B) on 8 & 9 April 2013. We booked the Oaks and paid a far bit (>$400 per night) expecting the high quality we had found at The Adelaide Oaks.

The hotel is close to the Harbour and Viaduct area but families should be aware that it is surrounded by strip clubs and knock shops. On the Saturday night I was unable to sleep as a result of the noise from surrounding night clubs.

When we arrived we were only given one room key. Despite my request for a second key none was forthcoming. At one stage my wife has to call me from the 30th floor to open the front door for her despite the fact that there were 2 disinterested front desk staff 15 feet away and in full view.

On what basis do the hotel claim to be 4.5 to 5 star? Our room phone either didn't work or the staff at reception didn't answer the 3 calls we made at various times. The TV was about the size of my laptop screen, with a picture that was so poor the kids resorted to the iPad. The shower was in such poor a state that washing led to litres of water spilling onto the bathroom floor unable to drain, disgusting? We couldn't use the bath to prevent the massive water spills as there was no plug and no answer at reception when we called regarding this. What coffee making facilities? What breakfast? What one-hour complimentary wifi?

All-in-all we were very disappointed, so many nice places to stay in Auckland and we lucked out. Maybe acceptable (except the shower issues) for $200 per night but room/hotel not in the league for $400+

Room Tip: Go somewhere else if you are looking for something above average for top prices
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Maia
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your feedback and please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was less than top notch. All feedback is used in assisting us to improve future guests’ experiences through your observations. I would love to have you come back and give us another chance to prove that this is not usual for our hotel. Do not hesitate to contact me directly on feedback@vrhotels.co.nz if you might reconsider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay

Kind Regards

Travelers are raving about these Auckland Region hotels

hawkes bay
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Loved the location of this hotel, nice and close to britomart, viaduct & queen street. Down sides were dirty windows ruined the view. Washing machine didn't work, probably my fault as I didn't bring it to their attention. Compact apartment but suited us perfect for our three day stay. You could not complain at that price really.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
It is great to hear that you were able to take advantage of our central location and explored the City. We appreciate your feedback, and are glad to note that you found our accomodation great value for money! The front desk would have been happy to assist with the washing machine operation which could have been a simple application issue. We have communicated your observations to the concerned departments. Please stay in touch with us and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Thanks & Warm regards
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This hotel is advertised as a 5 star apartment with views. It is nothing more than a 3 star hotel in a seedy area of the city. It is directly across the road from 2 strip bars and in a street that was not safe to walk in at night. I specifically emailed the hotel asking about safety as I was travelling alone (female) with two children. The lobby is small and has an old computer for supposed internet access. The parking is tiny and I was not able to park my car in the allocated spot. The staff were very helpful though and moved my car to the staff parking. The rooms themselves are nice, but the access to your room is terrible. We were on 35th floor and the lifts took forever! The second day only two of the four lifts worked and the corridors are tiny too. The balcony is not a "balcony" but a step out onto a small landing. The harbour views were nice but it was very noisy at night due to the bars and strip joints just under the hotel. After walking around Auckland (never been before) I saw so many other hotels in decent areas and with a proper foyer etc. For a five star property I would expect so much better. My advice is DO NOT STAY HERE! I was going to leave and find another hotel but we were there over Easter and it was booked and I didn't want to lose the $650 I had paid for this place. This was the worst hotel experience I have ever had and I have been in many hotels. Sorry but want others not to go through the same bad experience.

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY HERE! Find another hotel - you will regret staying here!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Ribbi_11
Dear Guest
I thank you for taking the time to share the experience during your stay.

We pride ourselves in offering a high level of service. I am very disappointed that we were not able to meet your expectations during your stay.

We would very much like the opportunity to discuss the points you have raised further, therefore can I kindly ask you, to contact me on feedback@vrhotels.co.nz at your convenience.

With my best regards,
Ashtead, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We had a corner apartment on 22nd floor, one double ensuite and a single with a separate bathroom. My room had windows on two sides, with a panoramic view of the whole harbour - absolutely incredible. All very clean and well equipped, even a washing machine and tumble drier. Access to lovely gym and pool also included. Central location was very handy, but even on the 22nd floor with the windows closed, the noise of Auckland partying on a Saturday night (and Sunday morning) was enough to stop me sleeping. The only small issue we had with the apartment was only having one key card for three of us, which was a slight nuisance. Would absolutely go back if ever in Auckland again.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbour view!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
UdaiSarin, Director of Sales at Auckland Harbour Oaks, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Valued guest,
I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at Auckland Harbour Oaks. Our amenities, services and employees are top notch and I am delighted to read that your stay was above expectations.
We appreciate your feedback and will look into your only concern, it will assist us in improving our services for future guests. Please stay in touch with us and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Regards
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We had booked a 2bedroom apartment before we flew to NZ. via booking.com we ended up cancelling our booking because we weren't sure we would make it back up north after travelling south. Catch 22 we made it back to Auckland and needed a bed for the night before we flew out. After no luck finding a room near the airport we ventured back into town. When we arrived at Oaks they were extremely busy with check in's. The lady who helped us out on the counter was extremely friendly and was able to book us in at the cheaper rate we had originally booked for. Our room was on level 26 and the view was amazing. The room was clean and tidy. I've stayed at a few Oaks before they are all very similar in size. There is no aircon & we thought that with all the clubs and pubs near by the with the doors open it the noise would carry however it did not. We had harbour & sky tower views from the balcony. The room would be great for a longer stay with kitchen facility, large fridge and washing machine & dryer. Note there is $20 security parking however, we jagged a park on the street $2 per hour. Heaps of food & drink places to choose from close by. We would definately stay here again.

Room Tip: Any with a view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at Auckland Harbour Oaks
Thank you so much for your praise of our staff members. All our team actively read guest feedback and it is much appreciated that you have taken the time to write good things about the team. Feedback really is a great driver in ensuring we as a property can keep striving to the high standards we have.
It will be a great pleasure to welcome you back you in the near future and always, thank you for your support.

Warm Regards,