“No Airconditioning!”

Auckland Harbour Oaks
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“No Airconditioning!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

We chose this hotel based on reviews we had read. We got to the hotel toward the end of January, New Zealand's summer, to find they had no air comditioning, and only one fan for the three room apartment. The furniture was uncomfortable . We checked out of this hotel and found a more suitable place within 2 hours of our arrival.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
UdaiSarin, Guest Relations Manager at Auckland Harbour Oaks, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback and please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was less that top notch. All feedback is used in assisting us to improve future guests’ experiences through your observations. Please note that we do not advertise that we offer air-conditioning, but do offer in room fans and heaters. Do not hesitate to contact me directly on feedback@vrhotels.co.nz if you might reconsider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New Plymouth, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Please do not stay at the Auckland Oaks if you value your belonging as they clearly do not! My bag was stolen while it was checked into a secure area awaiting my departure. They agree the thief should not have had access to the luggage room but yet they will not compensate me in any way and keep trying to fob me off! NO CUSTOMER CARE!! Why would anyone stay here when there are so many excellent Auckland hotels that look after their guests! Stay at your own risk!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank maxine r
UdaiSarin, Manager at Auckland Harbour Oaks, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. However, the property you are reviewing does not seem to be our property. Neither our Front desk team nor the management are aware of it, as you mentioned you were asking for compensation. However we have never received such complain from any guest.

I hope this review can be moved to the appropriate property.

Take care and I hope you choose us next time when you are in Auckland.

Warm Regards,

Travelers are raving about these Auckland Region hotels

Mandurah, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

The location was great. It was walking distance to shopping and casino. We stayed on the 22nd floor. The clubs across the road played load music which did not worry us too much due to being on the 22nd floor. We could see the harbour and the sky tower from our balcony. We watched our crusie ship arrive. Many of the staff were not friendly or helpful. The rooms were a bit small for a family. Needed to be a body builder to flush the toilet. The TV remote didn't work. The continental breakfast was a piece of cake, banana, yoghurt and an oat bar (everyday). I made a few suggestions (hopefully they take notice). The hotel is not good for families with children. The pool areas was not suitable for my grandchildren. Definely not what the rating advertised.

Room Tip: Request a room on higher floors.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Linda W
Thank you for your comments about the complimentary light in room breakfast pack. As an It is disappointing to hear that our service did not work as it should have. This is something we will address and fix – perhaps there are other options we could look at such as a choice of cereals and milk – none the less, thank you for your feedback – it is something that will help in rectifying the problem for future guests. We are glad you enjoyed the remainder of your stay. Thank you again for the feedback.
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

Recently booked 2 nights and only stayed for one, preferred to pay extra to stay elsewhere.
Booked a one bedroom executive apartment with a balcony and view of the city - looked great on the website - not in reality.
Reception very small, staff no idea of customer service, passages very narrow, lift jerky and only one key card to the room, as this is needed for lift, front door and room this is not ideal seeing as the room is supposed to be for a maximum of 3 people. Room did not have a balcony unless two tiles width is considered a balcony in Auckland, could not stand out there and besides why would you want to as the view was of a car park, when I asked about this I was told it was still the city view.
Staff need to understand customer service and how to smile and be helpful
Red light on phone stayed on even though no messages
TV very smaill - yes
No air conditioning - windows opened but the noise was so great we had to shut them and swelter
No cieling fans - just a fan with a very short lead
Wifi - you must be kidding
Noisy even with windows shut
Flush button on toilet took two hands to press - need to be a muscle man
Need to book car park needs to be highlighted - because if you don't prebook they do not have enought to go around
Remember the thin towels of the 50's well the towel here are thin and scratchy
Road work everywhere - but no head up from the hotel before or during check in

Booked for two nights - stayed one only and completed survery card upon departure - surprise surprise there has been no communication or request to eleborate - so I guess they do not take survery responses very seriously

Room Tip: Book anywhere else
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank anzaceve
Thank you so much for your feedback and please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was less that top notch. All feedback is used in assisting us to improve the features and services we provide. We apologize for the inconvenience caused as we do not advertise or offer Wi-Fi. Your concerns have been passed onto management to revise. Thank you for your feedback.
Arendal, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

Apart from the great location this is a sterile and synthetic place. Not the type of hotel I would normally choose. Apart from that: the staff was helpful and friendly, the breakfast was a joke, the room was OK. It felt like a strange and small apartment that no-one would really live in.

With this location they could have done so much more. What are the owners thinking?

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pelourinho
UdaiSarin, Guest Relations Manager at Auckland Harbour Oaks, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your kind comments about our staff. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations throughout your stay. I would be happy to discuss your stay personally with you, and can be reached on feedback@vrhotels.co.nz.
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

Hey after reading the reviews I feel compelled to write one myself, which I don't normally do. I am still in NZ and if possible will stay here again for 1 night before I go home. When booking via expedia I requested a room with the best view available and was given room 25B on the 25th floor facing Auckland harbour. The view was stunning, more than I expected. Much more. On entering the room I was impressed from the get go. My room came with cooker, dish washer, washing machine and dryer, toaster, kitchen utensils 2 bathrooms and 2 bedrooms. I had to double check this is what I booked, as it was only me staying and couldn't believe the value for money. I had a tall standing fan which I didn't need as both bedrooms and the main room had sliding doors and been on the 25th floor this created a nice cooling effect by leaving the doors open. Having spent the previous 2 nights in Dubai I found this hotel much more value for money. The outdoor pool was long and narrow but a godsend in the heat. Location was perfect for me as the airport express bus stopped 2 streets away and all my activities started from around the harbour. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable.
Justin Anthony

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Ljustin7
Thank you for your review. Our property is certainly unique, that is what we are most proud of.
We take immense pleasure in being able to serve our guests every day and enjoy what we do.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future, in the meantime please stay in touch via Facebook and Twitter. Best wishes - The Auckland Harbour Oaks Team
Rockhampton, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed here over Christmas for 3 days first there is no air contitioning and no ceiling fans if you like they will bring a portable fan, we did not have any room service for the 3 days so no rubbish emptied no fresh towels. Our continental breakfast only came after we asked for it, again terrible the popper juice was made in India (surely you can get popper juices made in NZ) yoghurt and banana and a spice cake??? You are only allowed to have one swipe card which is very inconvenient as you need these for the lift as well as the room so you have to go out together. The paid car parking $20 per night leaves alot to be desired, We faced the massage parlour across the road and because we had to leave the doors open you can hear noise all night. As I was rating this hotel I just noticed there was a spa I dont know where it was and the pool you have to climb several metres up to get in.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank skd46
UdaiSarin, Guest Relations Manager at Auckland Harbour Oaks, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and am truly sorry to hear about the inconvenience caused with the breakfast service, we will take into consideration the breakfast preferences you pointed out, when making changes to the breakfast offered. I have passed on your housekeeping concerns to the relevant departments to address. Please note that the gym and pool can be accessed via the lift, apologies if this was not made clear. If you have any additional concerns you wish to have addressed, please email us on feedback@vrhotels.co.nz. Safe travels.