“Great Location”

Auckland Harbour Oaks
Ranked #190 of 296 Specialty Lodging in Auckland
Reviewed January 25, 2012

My son and i stayed at this property for 5 nights - not sure what other reviewers say as the staff on the front desk were very good and friendly.. There were road works the entire time of our stay but as we were on the 35th floor we didnt hear a thing. The location is perfect - out our windows we could see the harbour and the sky tower - The walk to queens street is 1 minute and only 5 minutes to the harbour. The only downside is the bathroom its very dated - join between the shower over the bath and bath had seperated so the floor gets flooded everytime we had a shower, one the lights werent working in the bathroom and the fan was extremely loud.. The beds were very comfortable.

Room Tip: ask for a room on one of the higher levels
Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank simejl

Reviewed January 21, 2012

we went up to our rooms and immediately noticed the smell of mould. The rooms where dank dingy and stinky we went downstairs to complain and were told (well it is a 30yr old building) so is my house.We demanded our money back.Begrudgingly they accepted.With 10 days to stay in N.Z and no accomadation i headed up the road to the mercure hotel.The concierge there said they couldnt accomadate 8 people for 10 days but pointed me to waldorf appartments only another block from Britomart.They were very helpful and offered us 2 2 bedroom apartments much nicer than the istay.2 apartments at istay for 10 days was $3800 and at the much nicer waldorf $2500 go figure?

Room Tip: Dont use this hotel
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
UdaiSarin, General Manager at Auckland Harbour Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2012

Dear Daniel,

Thank you for your review, I appreciate the time you have taken to write a review.

I am disappointed to hear that your stay at Auckland Harbour Oaks did not live up to your expectations. We have a great apartments with some of the best views in Auckland, perhaps you were placed in a wrong room at the get go? If given the opportunity, we would have been glad to help you go into a room that you were expecting. I apologise for the inconvenience caused but am glad your stay in Auckland ended up being as planned.

Kind Regards

Udai Sarin

Reviewed January 21, 2012

I had a one night stay at this hotel. The staff were really terrific and made time to show me the best way to get around the city and suburbs. They also made suggestions on the best "touristy" sites to see. The room that I stayed in was on the sixth floor and the bed was exceptionally comfortable. There were some roadworks occurring right outside the front door of the hotel but the stay was not affected. The staff were most apologetic even though they had no control over the matter. If there were to be an opportunity for improvement it would be that the breakfast was a little spartan, but adequate

Room Tip: Any room facing the harbour is good.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank AustraliaNev
Reviewed January 19, 2012

My boyfriend and I booked this hotel so we could have a nice night out over on waiheke Island in the Cable bay vineyard. The hotel is extremely central to the Harbour, Sky City and the main shopping street is only a two min walk. There is a really nice bar just next door that brews it's own beer and really tasty food called Britomart I think which is worth a visit.
The whole street the hotel is on was closed off to cars as there is extensive road works, which meant the car park we where planning on using across from the hotel is not in use so we drove around for a while trying to find somewhere, which wasn't to hard as there is lots around if your willing to pay the prices.
The hotel is really nice, front desk would work better if the staff spoke better English, but I guess everyone needs to learn.
We had a free upgrade to a harbour view room on the 37th floor, which has really stunning views.
The apartment has everything you would need in a self contained apartment even a washing and drying machine in the bathroom and a dish washer in the kitchen. I was very impressed.
The bed was so comfy and I did sleep very well until the apartment next door was having a party and at one point I thought it was in our sitting room it was so loud, but everyone is there for a holiday so I just ignored the noise. They did shut up about 4 am.
Breakfast which was delivered the night before made me laugh a little, a little juice, an apple and a dry seeded bun each, which did keep me going until we drove round to mission bay to have a proper breakie.
There is a pool which is a small length style and an even smaller gym which I didn't use.
Overall I enjoyed my stay, this would be an ideal place for a week or so as it has everything you need.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shazzy_mack
Reviewed January 8, 2012

We stayed, with friends, in a two bedroom apartment. It was big enough and had everything you would expect, although air-conditioning would have been nice. Some mildew was evident on the blackout curtains, a result of high humidiy, but nothing that stressed us too much. The apartment was very clean and well maintained. The location was handy to the city centre, with most things in easy walking distance. Car parking was an issue. We made the mistake of not notifying them in advance (I know, our own fault) and they could find no parking for us. In the end that actually saved us money, as we paid $16.50 per day in the adjacent public car park and moved the car to the street (free) overnight. The hotel's parking fee is $20 per day, but then you don't need to move your car. Our stay was somewhat spoiled by the roadworks outside, but that was not the hotel's fault. Not a four star hotel. I'd go maybe 3.5.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Rogbaggs,

Thank you for your review. I am glad you made alternative arrangements in regards to the car parking, as with most properties in central Auckland, car parking is an absolute premium and pre booking is essential.

Safe travels home, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards

Udai Sarin

Reviewed January 5, 2012

Excellent location, good value and good size for families

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Famvalue
Reviewed December 31, 2011

This is not a 4.5 star hotel / serviced-appartment, is 3.5 to 4 star at best. It is clean, well located (ignoring the strip club across the road), has a comfy bed and good views of the harbour (working end), but there were lots of little things wrong with the room and the reception wasn't very responsive in resolving these issues. The remote to the TV didn't work, the shower nozzle didn't work properly and the doors to both bedrooms didn't close properly. Furthermore, in stronger wind conditions (which we experienced) the wind noise on the 28th floor was quite loud and distracting. The "breakfast" included is very basic and two fire alarms on our last night didn't help either. Seriously considered moving hotels and wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family