“Gunga din” 3 of 5 bubbles

Auckland Harbour Oaks
Auckland, New Zealand
“Gunga din”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2011

We had booked 2 rooms for 2 couples as we were attending a wedding nearby. The wedding was due to start at 3pm and we could book in at 2pm, giving us 1 hour to freshen up and get dressed for the occasion. First problem, no parking outside hotel, no forecourt, no space nearby, so had to double park in street while I raced in to register. Then I couldnt get the door open, I pulled, pushed and rattled, a bunch of exotic faces behind the counter looked in my direction and then I pushed again and the door opened. Seems the staff had to approve of my appearance before unlocking the door. Yes! we have your booking sir, but no we did not get your request for a car park, you will have to drive around the streets looking for a car park space, maybe we can find a space nearby for you later. I let the others out and drive off to find a car park, then I am phoned by my wife - We cant stay here, there's problems with the plumbing. We now have 45 min before the wedding. They found an alternative Hotel for us that was close to the wedding venue and transferred 1 booking - not both. After charging around with incorrect directions we found the new hotel with a bit of help. 30 minutes until the wedding. Queue at the desk, 1 couple register ok, no booking for the others, 25 minutes later we all get into our rooms. After a quick shower and throwing our fancy duds on we trot down the road to arrive in the middle of the ceremony.
So I will never know how good or bad the inside of Harbour Oaks is as we couldnt get in!
I feel that they could have contacted us earlier to advise of the problems. and if you are travelling by car -beware of access and parking issues.

Room Tip: Noisy streets -get a room high up
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank tommaynz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2011

I stayed here with a colleague for 3 nights in a 2 bedroom apartment. I was worried about the noise from the street and surrounding bars etc, but barely heard a thing. Perhaps in the middle of summer with the windows open it might be different, but with the windows closed it was just fine. Our apartment also had 2 bathrooms which was brilliant given that I was with a colleague. The lounge area is spacious enough to spread out a bit, and the views were great too. We got a really good rate online, which included a basic but substantial continental breakfast. Carparking is extra, and should be reserved in advance to guarantee a spot. Perhaps what impressed me most was the gymnasium, much better equipped and far better quality equipment than I was expecting! It's also in a primo location, walking distance to anywhere in downtown Auckland. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank veedub72
brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2011

I stayed here for three nights a week into December. The hotel is afew blocks from the bus depot and the main shopping strip.

I was in a two bedroom apartment on the 21st floor. View of the harbour from the lounge sliding door and views of the city and skytower from the two bedrooms.

There was a starter pack which included sugar, coffee, tea, UHT milk, washing detergent and toilet roll. Towels were waiting on the heated towel rack. Housekeeping was offered to me each day at the door.

The staff at both check in and check out were polite and helpful.

I personally enjoyed having the pub across the ground and one on the corner. There was an outside nightclub a block away from the hotel on the Friday night which was extremely loud until 3am but this was not the hotels fault.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay here and would stay here again.

Room Tip: I asked for a harbour view on a high floor if available :)
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank P H
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2011

Got a very good price on a 2 bedroom place. Really nice harbour views from the lounge and both bedrooms, and the lounge of was spacious enough for the three of us to relax in comfortably. Good location for walking to the new Britomart and Wynard Quarter areas, tons of places to eat within walking distance and convenience stores nearby as well. We've stayed in plenty of apartments in Auckland, and would gladly return to this one.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Vinterbro, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

We stayed here for 7 nights during our around-the-world-trip with kids aged 3 and 4. On our arrival day, we were lucky to see the annual Christmas Parade from Farmers, just a block from the hotel. A great start to our stay, in such a lovely weather!

Our apartment was 23-B on the 23rd floor with a harbour view, which was stunning. Day and night we could watch life in the area, it was actually particularly beautiful at night. It also has a very small balcony where crazy people like our small ones can walk around and scare their parents :-)

The apartment had two sleeping rooms, with view in different directions, fantastic! It also had two spacious bathrooms. The room and kitchenette was spacious and had a dining area for three persons.

If we were to complain about something, we could wish some more storing place for our luggage.

Every day we got new towels and a cleaning of the apartment. This we were very satisfied with, because we travel with small kids.

We had some problems to get online at first, because the hotel does not have wifi. But everything turned out fine, thanks to a phone line in the wall behind a sofa :-) We had some water dripping from our sink one day, but this was solved within an hour!

Every night a man would come and serve us tomorrow's breakfast, a basket with juice, a banana, a roll and a yoghurt, which we found quite good. This is after all an apartment hotel with a kitchenette, where you can cook your own food if you want to.

We didn't know much about the area, but were pleasantly surprised. The Britomart is just outside the door, with many nice cafes, restaurants and interesting shops.

There were some convenient stores outside, a lot of cafes and some nice cheap restaurants, so we did not cook our own dinner more than once this week!

There is a gym and a pool at the hotel, but we did not use them.

Room Tip: Ask for 23 B, nice view from the sleeping rooms in two directions!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank KEGillesen
Tulsa, Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2011

Was here for 3 nights in November, got a deal on Booking.com. I reserved a bayview room, but upon arrival I was told that it was not an option. I booked it that way, tho?! The toilet ran for 3 days, no Air Conditioner, and no room cleaning either. Was nice to have a kitchenette, and location was great, but I won't be back!

• Stayed November 2011
auckland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2011

Our one chance to have a night away in the city turned sour by this place,the complete incompetence of the check in staff person that we dealt with was shocking.
Ended up because of a problem with the microchipped card the door would not open,turns out that they had authorised it to another room, three quarters of an hour later still standing outside the room waiting,it was finally sorted by my husband having a few words,it ended up we were late for our work dinner.Room was okay waited this morning for our free continental breakfast to arrive, not realising that it had been shoved on the bench last night one banana, one yoghurt,snack bar, and a juice and bun,what a scream.Having travelled many overseas countries it's a shame that in my home city that there could be such a terrible place,that tries to scam people that come there with false information,my advise run away as fast as you can.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank AucklandGarfield
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Auckland Harbour Oaks, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
Thank you for your feedback. We are very unhappy to know that you left iStay Residences disappointed. Please accept our apology for the inconveniences you experienced.

We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further. Please contact customer relations on customerfeedback@theoaksgroup.com.au.

We do hope you will consider staying at one of our serviced apartments in the near future.

Travelers are raving about these Auckland Region hotels