“Fantastic cakes”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed May 5, 2013

This little cafe occupying a corner of a upholstery fabric store had such great home-baked cakes that we went there three out of the four days we were in Auckland (the fourth day was a public holiday!). We loved the doughnuts filled with custard and raspberry puree, the sticky date pudding, and baci cake. The chocolate fudge slice and caramel slices were a mind-blowing sugar overload - the least sucessful was a pear and frangipane tart where the pastry was a bit thick and doughy - it was still delicious and we ate it all!!! Great coffee, sodas served in a jam jar and big tables.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

A good friend suggested we meet here for lunch last Friday. Being from out of town i got a little lost finding it, but wow so glad I did. An amazing vision of cakey goodness, too many choices for just one lunchtime. Hence I will be back when visiting again. the vanilla custard filled donuts, oh my, one is definitely not enough. Had a tasty quiche. Love the retro feel, pots of relish to help yourself to. Had the homemade ginger beer - hit the spot.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Had heard rave reviews about the cafe, and even seen the book, so made a special detour for coffee and cakes. Yes, the food is delicious, we shared the famous doughnut and a walnut & fig brioche, and there were no complaints. But shabby chic is fine, and I liked the retro china and decor.... But it seemed a bit grubby and our table had spills and crumbs on it from the last customer. Bit more attention to cleanliness is all it needs.....not every cafe has to be modern, I like Nana style !

Reviewed March 18, 2013

If you ever find yourself over visiting Devonport or Bayswater - make the point to stop in at Little & Friday. This place is an absolute gem and the food is beyond incredible. I loved the place so much I made two trips during my short time in Auckland and even picked up a copy of their cookbook as a souvenir. This is one place not to miss. Go early too before all the goodies are gone.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Nestled to the side of Marthas fabric store in Newmarket this was our girls weekend must get to each morning. The food is fresh, delectable and well priced. We loved the food and relaxed atmosphere so much we kept going back and then all bought cookbooks before we headed home on the final day.

The service was a little slow but they are really busy (due to the food no doubt) so it's worth the wait. I had a fig and walnut slice which tasted more of icing than any other flavour but apart from that one item everything else we ate was fabulous. Go here if you are in Auckland and hungry.

Love it.