“Good atmosphere but average service”

Ponsonby Road Bistro
Ranked #56 of 4,053 Restaurants in Auckland
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

I eat at the Pon Rd bistro quite often and usually its great but tonight was pretty average. First we were seated at a tiny round table, then we waited but the menus didn't come so we asked for them, when the food came my salmon portion was really small, then there was no salt and pepper on the table (or offered to us), the waiter filled up my half full glass of sparkling water with tap water (but replaced it with fresh sparkling) and when we went to pay noone was there to take our money... so we waited...
Come on Pon Rd Bistro.. There is so much competition.. You need to sort out the little stuff ASAP!

Reviewed September 5, 2012

We had great service from all staff, the restaurant was fairly busy with many of tables at the front full - we were seated a little further down the back which we were grateful for. The menu was interesting, hand written and not a huge lot of choice, but good selections. We ordered an entrée each and were surprised how large these were. Both our mains were fantastic and again good sizes. The staff new the menu and could answer all our questions. Wine list was good too.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Ponsonby Road has few restaurants that last the distance but this feels like it will. Have dined here several times and it's always great.

Prices are reasonable with decent sized portions (you don't have to order a side to feel satisfied), buzzy atmosphere, professional service.

Like the fact that the menu is small but changes regularly, and everything is appealing so it's always hard to choose.

Only criticism is that their chairs aren't that comfortable.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Had a business focused dinner . Menu was short but everything looked good.Wine list offers some great NZ wines..lower end a bit variable.Busy but service was friendly and professional

Reviewed August 20, 2012

The Ponsonby Road Bistro is rated highly - including being placed among the country's top rstaurants by Cuisine magazine. They are right to place it highly as everything about the place is very good. It is not the finest of fine dining but then it has no pretensions, and thus it is very much an accessible place to have a wonderful meal. The attention to detail is very good and service matched that - friendly waiting staff, good atmosphere and excellent food. The wine matches suggested were bang on. I seldom run to three courses as my waistline reflects my indulgence far too much ... but on this night I simply could not resist. Scallop entree, fish main (so delicate, so subtle, so tasty) and though I may have cut short my life expectancy by a few days with the Bistro's scrumptious chocolate dessert, at least I shall die happy.