“Didnt live upto my expectations”
Review of Apadana Restaurant

Ranked #1,733 of 3,669 Restaurants in Auckland Region
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Auckland, New Zealand
“Didnt live upto my expectations”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I had a lovely experience at Apadana a few years ago so I took a group of friends last weekend.
Apadana is very central as its in the middle of Dominion Road; has parking at the back and also on the side streets adjoining and has a lovely atmosphere with ample seating and warm and inviting heating.

The service was OK but not great. Food took forever to arrive and some of us got our food and had to wait for ages for the others to get theirs.

I was a bit dissapointed as I had some really great Middle Eastern food last time. This time, due to a change of ownership there were a lot more Thai items than ME.

Some of the men in our group ordered whiskey and soda at the bar and they got these huge glasses with a shot of whiskey, mountain of ice and filled to the brim with soda. When they grumbled about it the Thai lady (owner?) sent them a free shot of whisky without soda in proper glasses which they diluted with their earliler drinks. This didnt start the evening too well.

We had a couple of entrees which were great.and well presented. Most of us ordered Thai food and the fish dish I had was very good. The choice of ME dishes were dissapointing and There were not many choices for desserts and what was offered were neither ME nor Thai.

If we wanted Thai food, the choices in other Thai restaurants in Auckland would offer more option.

I was kind of dissapointed but the evening was average. I am not sure if I would be back.

• Visited September 2013

Auckland
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

This is the third time I have visited this restaurant and think it has had enough chances really. The first time was O.K, the second time they had not seated the group as requested, the food was extremely slow coming from the kitchen and this last time was not good. The food is quite tasty apart from the artichoke hearts on the mixed entrée platter which tasted like water. But we were seated in one of their elevated booth type seating which was completely wrong, and found the 7 of us split by large wide tables that stopped us from conversing. There is no ambience and it seemed like the few people that were there were rattling around a large empty restaurant. It just felt all wrong and uncomfortable. The restaurant must have changed owners over the past 6 months or so and now the menu offers Persian, Turkish and Italian. We were told they had no pizzas though as the Italian chef had left and there was no one to operate the pizza oven which was disappointing for the children with us. Gordon Ramsay would tell them their menu is too large, too diverse and indicates they are trying to be too much to too many people. Stick to the winners I say, limit the menu and do it well otherwise I see a restaurant that has been good in the past and has potential going forward, going down the gurgler. I am sorry, I probably won't be back though and neither will my friends.

• Visited March 2013
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Awesome!!”
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

We are regular customers, having eaten at Apadana over couple of years now. To tell you the truth, my visit on 27/12/11 was quite surprising as there had been a change of ownership. The menu had only one page of previous menu and was disappointing as we loved the foood there. However The food was lovely n enjoyed by all. Our visit last night was pleasing as well. Hubby had chicken schnitzel n I had kaftas kebab, kids had fried chicken egg noodle n we had a green salad to share, we all enjoyed our food, kids loved the kaftas kebab! Lovely food, good service, good sized meal, ...probably need a bit of music though. Overall a 4.5 out of 5. Would go again.

auckland, newzealand
“Menu change :(”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Went to Apadana last year August! Great food, I had vegetarian filo pastry, amazing food!
I missed out on having meat so I went again last night! Quite disappointed with the whole menu change and owner change. The menu has mainly thai food and mediterranean menu has only one page left with hardly anything exciting!!
My mum is a vegetarian, on my recommendation she came and she had no choice left then to go for Thai!
Ordered Thai green curry and rice! the curry sauce was so diluted that I thought I am having water green curry!
Ordered turkish bread for starters, never came and later cancelled! They gave it for free understanding we were disappointed.
The veg fried rice was nice, mum appreciated it.
Overall Avg Experience. Might go for Thai food but will miss the original Apadana!

• Visited January 2013
Whangerei
“Great, our second visit”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Our second visit was quieter than our first, so the general feel was peaceful and relaxing. We had an interior table, received good service and good food. We missed the starter, having already discovered the size of the mains, but made up foir that with a shared medium platter. The Ghormei Sabzi is very good, my wife enjoyed her lamb shank. This was more than sufficient.
Once again, the Apadana gave us excellent value. This is not the cheapest in the area, but it is well worth visiting. We will be back the next time we are in Auckland.

• Visited November 2012