“Expensive and average”

Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We had the falafels and salad. Falafels seemed re-heated and were average. Salad was simple and serving size small. No service at table - we had to go up to counter after waiting 10-15 min. Yet to try their tajine but not sure if we'd go back.

Murat A, Owner at Casablanca Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

‘Thanks for alerting us to this. We work hard to offer good food and friendly service, and I’m sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations. I hope you will give us another chance in the future. If you’d like to contact me directly, please call the restaurant and ask for Murat.’

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Excellent Mediterranean food, great atmosphere, blazing fast service and really tasty food at a good value for money. An excellent place to take a break from shopping.

‘Thank you very much for the positive comments. We work hard to offer good food and friendly, efficient service, and I’m so glad your visit was enjoyable. I will pass your feedback on to the team, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.’

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Wow! I stumbled across this place when looking for something tasty, non stodge and nothing that had been sitting in a cabinet all day.
Wow! My ISMIR EGGS were divine, the atmosphere was so restful and snappy, the service super.

I loved it. thanks

Reviewed April 16, 2012

Food and ambience make Casablanca something a bit different for a mall restaurant. Once you are familiar with how to seat yourself, get your own water and order, the food and certain drinks are delivered to your table without preamble by friendly staff. My favourite dishes are the Haloumi Bruschetta and the Morrocan Meatballs, I've tried a few other offerings on the menu, but more likely than not, I go back to my fav's. Easy to/from motorway access and lots of free parking make your visit relatively stress-free.

Reviewed February 18, 2012

Casablanca is, perhaps, my favourite restaurant in the Sylvia Park mall largely because of its good Mediterranean and Middle Eastern food, but also it's Moroccan theming. They don't have a varied assortment of food, and in the years my wife and I have been going the menu doesn't appear to have changed. However what food is on offer is done very well: it's full of flavour, good portions (not too much or too little), and well presented.

But what is a bit disappointing is the service. It's not that the staff are rude or abnoxious- quite the opposite in fact. It's because the service offered stops short of where it should be for a restaurant of this standard. Let me explain:

When you arrive there is no one to welcome you or show you to a table. You're expected to find a table yourself, and if the place is full then you'll most likely stand around looking a bit silly. Sure the staff smile at you... but from a distance. Secondly, once you find a table no staff come to take your order. In fact, you can sit around for ages with staff looking at you quizzically without anyone venturing to your table. The first time my wife and I went there we must have been sitting at a table for 10 minutes before a passing waitress with arms ladden with empty dishes stopped by and asked if we were alright. By that time I was about to blow my top, but she had a nice smile and seemed genuinely concerned.

The reason for such shortsighted service is that you're expected to find your own table and go up to the register to place your order. The only place that it says this is a small sign above the cash register. This is also where they keep their menus, so even if you've been sitting at a table for a while you don't have a chance to browse the menu. What's really annoying is that they expect you to know all this as soon as you walk through the doors, but if it's your first time and your eyes haven't found the little sign above the cash register then you look like a plum fool.

Now, for the prices charged I'm surprised by this lack of service. For $22 - $30 a plate I don't expect to receive the same service I would receive at a McDonald's. And what's a bit annoying is they have the staff to-at very least- welcome you, show you to a table, hand you a menu, and explain how their particular ordering system works. If not for the good food and ambience my wife and I wouldn't return here, and even though we have returned a few times we would have come back many more times if we knew we would get appropriate service.

To recap, the food is good, the ambience and theming is great, and service is good but stops drastically short of what it probably should be, thus leaving you somewhat disappointed.

Murat A, Owner at Casablanca Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Hi Jasm4!

Thank you for your review from February. I would like to let you know that, based on our valued client's feedback such as your own, we have adapted our service with our waitstaff. We aim to ensure all visitors are met when they walk in, and given a menu after being seated. We have also begun taking table orders.

Also, we have recently updated our menu over the last few months, to include a few new flavours (such as the Citron Chicken Tagine) and updated some old favourites, like the Skewered Scotch Fillet.

I hope you and your wife will come and visit us again and see how your review has helped us improve our service :)

Murat and the team at Casablanca