“Great spot in the City”

Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 11, 2014

great spot for dinner with lots of bars next to it, if you love seafood this is a great restaurant not so great for a fussy eater we had one with us and they have little on the menu for vegetarians, really busy so you need to book we went next door to tyler street garage for a drink while we waited for a table

There are newer reviews for Ebisu

Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

Restaurant came up as one of Auckland's top 50 restaurants in the metro/Audi eateries, so i thought it would be a great opportunity to take my partner out for a modernized version of Japanese fusion... Don't really know what the hype is all about apart from YES a good location and a well designed restaurant with a nice trendy feel to it the food was very average.. The duck breast I ordered was nice went very week with all the accompaniments put together, the lamb skewers very tough and very average for the price..
Would have expected better things from a place that boasts about it's cuisine and their take on Japanese food from the pacific Rim buts that's not what I experienced or nothing close to it for that matter! Not worth the money at all

2  Thank Benny911
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Filled to the brim with the trendy downtown set on a Friday night... we had a party of 10 which is perfect for a fun loud boisterous dinner out. Not so sure how a romantic dinner would be with the background blast of music being turned out by resident DJ.
Cool warehouse type environment, greta bar., large menu with many choices.. not many inexpensive options. We chose the $70 pp set menu and had a stream of very tasty dishes keep on coming to the table in sets of entree/main/dessert. The beef wagyu was to die for, the rest nice. The wine list was good and interestingly served in stemless glasses which added a nice twist.
The service was very good, attentive but not overbearing and the food was of a very good quality.
I enjoyed my night and meal
But it must be said:
not cheap but food is worth it
not quiet ( god help the hard of hearing in this extremely noisy place, but it is alive and fun and bustling with city movers and groovers).
and most of all DO NOT park in the Britomart carpark next door my parking from 6.50pm - 10.50pm ish cost $50.

But if a group of friends wants fun, noise, buzz, music and life then this is definitely a good option.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

Firstly, I ordered plum wine but wasn't given a choice. The bartender just poured me a glass. I asked her which one it was, she said our standard plum wine. They have 3 on the menu.

Then when we were seated I ordered sencha from the menu. The waitperson told me they didn't have sencha. I showed it to her on the menu, she said, "oh tea". It came in a small ordinary western style teapot with a broken lid.

There were a lot of wait staff but there was little coordination.
We had to order drinks several times and were brought one glass of wine when 2 had been ordered.

We ordered izakaya style but my friend asked for rice. Three dishes were served and no rice had appeared. I asked where the rice was and they said it was coming with the rest of the meal. I said it should have been served first. When it arrived it was in a large bowl, more like I would expect for a table serving. My friend had to put the rice on his plate to eat it.

The chicken karaage was dry and tough. Though there was plenty of it.
The eggplant had 4 small pieces for $15.

My friend reported that the prawn gyoza were tasty and we agreed the wasabi dressing under the soft shell crab was nice.

But it overall it was expensive and disappointing.

1  Thank Karenholiday
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Went here in a party of 8. Very good service from the time we were seated until we got the bill.
Good selection of entree style meals which one can order and then share with others.
Just watch out for the pork belly. You must have someone to share this with. Because while it is delicious it is rich as.
We were fortunate to have a great waitress who took care of out every need.
Will visit again.