“Good food, atrocious service”
Review of Basque Kitchen Bar - CLOSED

Basque Kitchen Bar
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Good food, atrocious service”
Reviewed March 9, 2012

We went to Basque at 7pm. While the food was delicious and James King’s meals lived up to our expectations, we were really let down by the service. As we were new to Basque, I was hoping our server would talk to us about favourite dishes and the size of portions so we could be informed about what to order. Instead, although there were only 3 tables being served at the time when we were there, we had to sit and wait while staff were cleaning or being informed about the specials. I had to flag down a server who said she would serve us once she had finished what she was doing, despite three other servers standing at the bar talking to each other. When we did finally order, our food came out at different times which was fine as that is what you might expect from a tapas place. However one meal (the one I chose) took so long we had finished all the accompaniments and if our server had informed us the chicken would have taken a lot longer, I might have ordered something extra. When I mentioned that to the owner, she was defensive and made excuses and overall, despite the delicious food, we had a really frustrating dining experience. The place had no ambience and was virtually empty, and given the service I was not surprised. Which is a shame because the food does not deserve to be let down by the front of house. I really wanted to give it one star because the service was so bad but gave it two because of the food.

• Visited March 2012

Auckland Region, New Zealand
“A fantastic Tapas experience.”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We visited here on a Saturday night with 2 teenage girls. They absolutely loved it. Stand-outs were the pork belly & croquettes. Reasonably priced, lovely atmosphere & something on the menu to please everyone.

• Visited February 2012
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Best tapas in town by a country mile”
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Love this place!!!!  Great Spainish wines and the best tapas in town.  Everyone I take here loves it too.

“Another great Tapa Bar”
Reviewed February 3, 2012

Worth discovering in a quiet Newmarket street Basque has one of the most knowledgeable wine people in the city. I think she is a Sommelier. Anyway we loved our experience here and I will be returning.

Auckland
“THE best tapas in Aucklander”
Reviewed November 27, 2011

Having lived in Spain, I've been trying to find good tapas since I moved to Auckland 5 months ago. Having been sorely disappointed by limon and kinda impressed by bellota (but not the service) this is a welcome treat in the middle of Newmarket. The chorizo is actual chorizo (hallelujah!) there are hundreds of Spanish wines and sherries, there are daily specials so you're always trying something a bit different, I'm made to feel welcome everytime I come in and I feel just at home sitting at the bar on my own with a magazine as I do sitting at a table with friends. I'd love this to stay a hidden gem but I can't let such an amazing place go without high praise and full tables. Viva el basque bar!

• Visited November 2011