“A fantastic Tapas experience.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“A fantastic Tapas experience.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

We visited here on a Saturday night with 2 teenage girls. They absolutely loved it. Stand-outs were the pork belly & croquettes. Reasonably priced, lovely atmosphere & something on the menu to please everyone.

• Visited February 2012

Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Best tapas in town by a country mile”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2012

Love this place!!!!  Great Spainish wines and the best tapas in town.  Everyone I take here loves it too.

“Another great Tapa Bar”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2012

Worth discovering in a quiet Newmarket street Basque has one of the most knowledgeable wine people in the city. I think she is a Sommelier. Anyway we loved our experience here and I will be returning.

Auckland
“THE best tapas in Aucklander”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2011

Having lived in Spain, I've been trying to find good tapas since I moved to Auckland 5 months ago. Having been sorely disappointed by limon and kinda impressed by bellota (but not the service) this is a welcome treat in the middle of Newmarket. The chorizo is actual chorizo (hallelujah!) there are hundreds of Spanish wines and sherries, there are daily specials so you're always trying something a bit different, I'm made to feel welcome everytime I come in and I feel just at home sitting at the bar on my own with a magazine as I do sitting at a table with friends. I'd love this to stay a hidden gem but I can't let such an amazing place go without high praise and full tables. Viva el basque bar!

• Visited November 2011
Sydney, Australia
“Absolute pure bliss!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2011

My partner and I are actually from Sydney. We stumbled upon some reviews for this place while we were searching online for a good Tapas place for our upcoming Auckland visit.

From the moment we called to make a reservation (from Sydney), we were made to feel very welcome and invited.

When we actually got there (it can be a little hard to find if you don’t know the area), we were greeted by a smiling staff and full tables. Everyone appeared to be enjoying a relaxing time.

We were treated to various tastings from our knowledgeable and cheerful hostess (who I believe is the owner) and her thorough passion for all things Spanish shone through.

Spanish wines were selected for us based on our regular wine preferences and a taste or two confirmed that the selection was spot on. We also indulged in some sweet sherry and are very glad we did so!

The food itself is wonderful! Mouthwatering dishes delivered to your table as soon as they are ready. We loved every single dish we tried (and there were a few) – even having seconds of the exquisite pork belly and pear chutney.

Throughout the entire night we were in heaven. The staff are so friendly and enthusiastic about the food and wine, you can’t help but feel special. This was definitely a highlight of our trip to NZ.

If you love Tapas, I urge you to make the trip to Newmarket and Basque kitchen & bar. You won’t regret it.

(Oh! Prices were very, very reasonable too.)

• Visited March 2011