“It was a cold and stormy night...”
Review of Manuka

Manuka
Ranked #2 of 43 Restaurants in Devonport
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 25, 2014

...arriving in Devonport with friends, towing a suitcase in the wind and rain, just off the ferry, and a bit hungry and thirsty after a full day of meetings. Manuka was quite the comfortable haven. A pizza bar with a reasonable wine list and good coffee. We shared a pizza with seafood, chorizo and various veg. It was really delicious - and pizza can be just plain ordinary, so getting a good one is note-worthy. The price was reasonable and the place was suitable for a good chat - not overwhelmingly noisy and reasonably spaced tables. Decor-wise, their was a seriously odd potted plant (from Madagascar perhaps?) semi-succulent, spiky with thick, pale green stems. It was so curious that I had to do a close examination to determine that it was real. Quite the discussion starter! I'd come again...

Reviewed July 21, 2014

... on pieces of mussel shell amongst the seafood linguine. So between spitting out mouthfuls of food into the paper napkin, and needing to use my fingers to pull the beards out of each mussel, it was an unpleasant dining experience. The taste of the food didn't make up for it - the sauce tasted like canned spaghetti. My husband's big breakfast was run of the mill. To be fair, the service was friendly and when I pointed out the issue they did offer to take the cost of our hot drinks off the bill. But I'd rather they'd served up great food than offer us a $9 refund.

Reviewed July 18, 2014

We went here for a late lunch with no expectations and were super pleased with our choice. My dad who never compliments a restaurant meal said the food was excellent - no higher praise can be expected. Would definitely go back there.

Reviewed July 12, 2014

We ate lunch here today- no problem to seat 9 of us and provide colouring in to keep the kids occupied.
Large menu which I often don't equate with quality but this was not the case at Manuka- really lovely meals.
Lamb salad- lamb perfectly cooked.
Chicken burger- generous and tasty.
Bacon and eggs- eggs cooked hard as ordered- doesn't happen often.
Tomato sauce- no problem- came out straight away.
Kids menu varied- breakfast options, pizza , pasta, fish and chips. Again generous sized portions for $9.50 per serve.
Milkshakes were a winner.
Only negative- coffee could be better. Not bad but not great either.
We would definitely return to Manuka.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

I took my local fiends here while on holiday from NZ and they new nothing about it but did they rave about the food. I had been before in 2007 and the standard of food, hospitality and service is great.