“Must Eat Here if in Devonport!”

Devonport Stone Oven Bakery & Cafe
Ranked #12 of 49 Restaurants in Devonport
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Devonport has lots of restaurants, but as I wandered through town to pick a lunch spot - i saw this place was packed at the outside tables at high noon, so I thought it must be good. I wanted to sit inside (good choice as the rain started soon after I sat down). They are only open for breakfast and lunch, but they do serve bottled beer if desired. I am an Amercian and I keep thinking, why don't we have places like this at home! I love to look at all the items in the glass showcases - from fresh savory pies, to scones, to savory muffins, to sweet muffins, to cakes, to tarts, to sausage rolls, to cookies, to speciality kids items, mergeniues, donuts, bar cakes, etc. The choices seemed endless and they all looked good. It was cold so I had my heart set on soup - they offered chicken and corn (in a chicken broth) or potato/leek, but it changes daily. Both came with two big slices of yummy garlic bread and the bowl of soup was really huge - frankly enough for two. I had the chicken soup and it was delicious - just what i wanted. I got a mini savory pie to test out - and it too was great. They had free interent - so I sat and played my zynga scrabble and hangman games, while people watching and enjoying my meal. A perfect respite. Since the rain was not dying down, I decided to splurge on the calorie count and have a cappuccino and a dessert - too many options to pick from, but I went for the "peanut buster" - a big bon bon with peanut butter and cookie rolled into a ball covered in chocolate. Yes, it was fabulous! It was worth every bite! But even better was the cappuccino - best I had anywhere!

Reviewed May 12, 2013

The food and coffee are OK, but the service is rushed and sometimes you feel a little undervalued as a customer.

1  Thank K0neW0ne
Reviewed April 24, 2013

My wife and I and a local friend had lunch at this lovely restaurant with street/sidewalk dining. Light sandwiches, coffee and tea and a beer for me. Quick and only NZ$34. We people watched for a while after eating. Interesting dynamics on the street.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We popped in for a quick coffee yesterday and just had to have something sweet with it. My husband really enjoyed his chocolate brownie and I LOVED my melting moment. The coffee was good,strong and hot just as we like it.

Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

I hope everyone tastes both the food and the espresso. Everything is made right here. We had breakfast and a scone--incredible, generous portions too. Great atmosphere and free wifi.