In June, while exploring the Auckland, New Zealand, area, I stayed for 10 days at the Peace and Plenty Inn, a beautiful Victorian bed and breakfast in the village of Devonport, on Auckland's northern shore. It reminded me of Sausalito (in the San Francisco Bay Area) but without the traffic.
The host, Judith Machin, provided wonderful breakfasts each morning; my favorite was Judith's Eggs Devonport -- scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, toast and jam. Breakfasts also included a cold self-serve buffet with a large selection of fruit, home-made muffins and pastries, and delicious fresh muesli (Judith makes the muesli in the evenings and it smells fantastic cooking). Chocolates were left on the bed in the evening, the room contained a selection of teas and port for the evenings, and organic, New Zealand-made toiletries were provided in the bath.
As I explored Auckland, Judith was a font of information, providing excellent recommendations for restaurants and places to visit. The other guests were mostly New Zealanders on holiday -- they were all very friendly and helpful. If you get homesick for your pet, you can borrow the inn's dog, Stanley, for a walk on the beach.
Devonport's shops and restaurants were a half-block away, and the ferry connecting Devonport to downtown Auckland was an easy five-minute walk from the Peace and Plenty. The ferry runs every 30 minutes from early morning to late evening and takes about 10minutes. The inn is located so conveniently to public transportation that I spent 10 days in Auckland without having to rent a car and drive on the wrong side of the road.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Peace and Plenty Inn is a magnificently restored Victorian villa (circa 1880), situated in an unbeatable waterfront location in the heart of the historic maritime village of Devonport. We invite you to stay at our gracious home offering comfortable and friendly luxury accommodation. We host visitors who come to relax from all over the world, along with New Zealanders enjoying a weekend away. High Teas are available most weekends and we also host small boutique weddings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Agoda, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Peace and Plenty Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Peace And Plenty Hotel Devonport
- Peace And Plenty Inn Devonport, New Zealand - Auckland