“Best part of my NZ Stopover!”

MagicBroomstick (Segway) Tours
Ranked #3 of 16 things to do in Devonport
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Our Segway Tours (Magic Broomstick Tours) are certainly a "Must do" while in Auckland.We take people sightseeing while riding a Segway Personal Transporter. This attraction is fun and exciting and just a little out of the ordinary. We first teach you the art of riding a Segway on our specially selected training ground,then you're off on a tour or short ride. Gliding to the top of the extinct volcano's, checking out the Military fort's of the 1880's, being gob-smacked by the awesome views of Auckland city and the Hauraki Gulf while experiencing the sheer joy of riding a Segway.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
Melbourne, Australia
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 246 helpful votes
“Best part of my NZ Stopover!”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Finally getting around to writing this review! After i arrived on Nov 14 from Honolulu at 7am jetlagged out of my brain and with the hotel unable to check me in until 3pm i decided to go out to Devonport to have a look and kill some time. I'd heard about the Segway tours and wanted to try them out. Once Pauline opened at 11am, i met her and her cute little dog and she managed to get Andreas to take me out on the 2 hour tour.

She shouted me a hot chocolate as i waited and when he turned up he gave me a thorough training lesson and then off we went! had a lot of fun taking in the views from the hill and learning of the history behind Devonport and New Zealand.

he was a fun guide and as i was travelling alone it was nice to get the tour guide all to myself, Nice guy and i definitely recommend this tour! He was even nice enough at the end to recommend restaurants etc around Devonport Since new Zealand is so close for this aussie i definitely plan to come back and do another tour at some point and have already told fellow workmates and friends to make sure they do this tour!

Thanks Pauline & Andreas, keep up the excellent work!

Visited November 2012
SegwayDevonport, Owner at MagicBroomstick (Segway) Tours, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thanks Harvsman, so please Andrea gave you a good time. He has been a great tour guide. Here from Germany where he was also a Segway tour guide. He's now off around NZ picking fruit and I hope he will return later in the year for some more guiding work. From Me and my Dog Chiccoca Thanks again. Pauline

Coatesville, New Zealand
“Brilliant tour - can't recommend it more”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Thank you so much for such a memorable tour around the historical and magical Devonport! Easy to find just a stones throw down the pier from the ferry and we were there ready to try our hand at flying segway style. After a thorough training session from Pauline we were off down the road visiting different historical sites (this village has a very interesting history) and we got to climb a volcano without having to walk! Thoroughly enjoyed it ... can't recommend it more.

Visited January 2013
SegwayDevonport, Owner at MagicBroomstick (Segway) Tours, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Thanks Emily, It was a pleasure to take you and friends out on the Segways. It's not quite like riding a bike eh but it sure did put a smile on your faces. Megan hasn't stopped smiling yet..... Next time it sure is Dave's turn ! .... And thanks for writing a review I really appreciate it. Kindness and best wishes. Pauline
Mornington, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Segway adventure”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Always wanted to ride a Segway as it looked loads of fun and wasn't disappointed when we had our first ride. A bit unsure at first, especially up and down gutters but soon got the hang of it. Fantastic views of the water and the old houses in the back streets of Devonport were lovely. A longer ride next time! One suggestion for Magic Broomstick would be to have helmets where a GoPro could be attached. Overall a great time had by the four of us with Andreas as the guide.

Visited January 2013
Thanks Suzz60 Glad to know you had a great time and that Andreas took care of you really well. Good idea about the helmets even if I had just one or two that a Go Pro could attach to would be cool. I'm not keen on the idea of people trying to take photo's and ride at the same time. Look forward to seeing you again sometime for a longer ride then. Kind regards Pauline
Auckland Region, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A must!!”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I had the time of my life!! This tour is so worth it. The segways are easy to ride but you do get a training session on them first to make sure you are comfortable. The staff are great and so full of local knowledge pointing out all the history around the area as you travel through Devonport. This is a experience you will not forget, it is for everyone at any level. The view from the top of Mt Vic are fantastic. Thank you Magic Broomstick I loved it!!!

Cheryl and Dale

1 Thank Dale C
Thanks for the fabulous review Dale C. We here at Magic Broomstick Tours love riding Segways and it's so cool when someone like yourself shares our Segway excitement. Devonport is such a great place for Segways as we do have awesome views and plenty of historical sites to explore. Thanks again. All the Best. Pauline
Scarborough, Australia
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“A fun way to see the sites of Devonport”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

After taking the pleasant 12 min ferry to Devonport it was really easy to find the Magic Brromstick shop with their Segways parked it side. After a bit of practice the Segway is easy to get to grips with, it intuitively works out your balance and responds to your movements propelling you up to 20km/h. It's great fun whizing past pedestrians and cyclists on your way around.

Our guide Andreas was very friendly and safely guided us to the top of North Shore where you get great 360 deg views of the city, Rangitoto island and the surrounds. You'll also see the historic gun placements and bunkers as a bounus on the 2hr trip. The shorter 1hr trip will take you to the heights of Mt Victoria.

This was our second time on a Segway and we really enjoyed it, ech time we have so wanted to get our own to use along our local foreshore, I'm sure you'll feel the same!

Great activity in a great location.

Visited November 2012
Thanks AndyP80. I'm glad you agree that "It's the FUN way to see Devonport" Dean Kamen is a very clever man to have invented the Segway, he thought it was going to be a transport alternative that would revolutionize the world - maybe it will one day ! Kind regards Pauline