“Poor breakfasts and over priced”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Devonport
Karin's Garden Villa B&B
Ranked #5 of 8 Devonport B&B and Inns
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Poor breakfasts and over priced”
Reviewed March 15, 2011

Karin's garden villa website offers so much but the reality is someting different. While the house is a pleasant villa in a quite part of Devonport the room we stayed in was dated, poorly serviced with tired decoration (the border wallpaper was hanging off the wall} The en-suite bathroom was basic with a constantly running toilet cistern. Towels were old, hard and smelt of damp. The chairs in the room were plastic garden chairs.

Breakfasts were continental, as we were informed on our first morning, but don't get excited about croissants and danish pastries - all you get is stale cereal. a few pieces of fruit, bread. yogurt and a few jams. For someone who doesn't eat sweet things there was no alternative so I ended up buying my own cheese!
One morning as we were geting ready we heard shouting from the owner at what we assumed was a member of her staff. However as we went for breakfast we learnt that the owner had been shouting at a guest because she had been using Skype (even though free wifi is part of the price) Another morning during breakfast the owner shouted at one of her young staff making it very uncomfortable for everyone at the breakfast table.
As a plus the two young staff employed at the villa were very helpful: we could do our laundry free of charge and the owner let us have a shower before we caught our plane.

As A guest house owner myself I was looking forward to sampling the hospitality of a guest house in New Zealand - I have to say I was very disappointed - not somewhere I would reccomend.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sjc57

Christchurch
Reviewed October 20, 2010

I had stayed at Karins on business for a few weeks, and I found it soo comfortable, practical, and friendly.

I enjoyed it soo much I extended my stay in Devonport for a week. I highly reccommend this B and B for its abundance of character and charm placed in a primo sunny garden!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed July 14, 2010

I stayed with another familly member in June, and it was unpleasant. We were not offered any heater, and we were told that there were blankets in the cupboard. We also had chipped cups and plates.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kj29m
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 28, 2010

Mary and I wanted to take the time to thank you once again for your great hospitality. We
appreciate everything that you and your housemaids had done to make our stay
pleasurable. We enjoyed our visit to Devonport and your B&B was a big part of it ---- so
quiet and relaxing, a great host and retreat.

Again: thank you very much for your hospitality. I felt at home and enjoyed staying at your
villa. You personalized and lived up to what your website says "COME AS GUESTS
AND LEAVE AS FRIENDS".

Leo and Mary de Rijk

Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 25, 2010

Our family stayed here last month while on a 3 week trip of New Zealand, it really felt like a home away from home for us as we were able to use all areas of the villa which was nice. The home is quiet and we always slept well (slept in I should say). Not many other guests while we were there (start of New Zealand winter time) so we almost had the home to ourselves. We booked two rooms, both were comfortable and we shared the bathroom with our children. The home was clean and tidy and the gardens were expansive and beautiful - good value spot.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Australia
Reviewed April 11, 2010

We stayed in the Cottage for a few nights in April 2010.

As we were coming from overseas we booked on the strength of the info and pictures in Karins' website - a bit of a mistake!

Karin was helpful enough and the setting is quiet and pretty but the cottage* is certainly not worth NZ $190 a night.
(* Don't believe the website pictures It is really just an attic-style room above the garage!)

As I said, The privacy and outlook are nice, but here are a few things to consider before you shell out your money.
* Bed is old and saggy,
* No soap provided, towels old and hard,
* Fridge is old and noisy, (you will know about it when you are trying to sleep!),
* Bathroom is down steep stairs next to the entrance door, quite smelly.
* CD player is broken
* there is more but don't let me bore you!

Maybe we paid a premium price because it was school holidays?
I recommend inspecting the place before you book and possibly negotiating a more realistic price if you really need the nice location.

Good luck!‎

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Dad1973
North East Lincolnshire
Reviewed April 5, 2010

We were really disappointed by Karin's Garden Villa, although we could see that in the past it must have been a lovely house. Our room was not clean, and all surfaces were covered in faded cloths, hiding tatty tables. The mattress had seen better days, and I was worried that I would end up with a bad back. The bathroom was smelly and grubby.
Karin would not give us a key, when we went out in the afternoon, and told us what time she would be back because she was going out. Wanting to spend as little time as possible in the B and B, we stayed out a lot longer than she had said, and got back to find ourselves locked out. We went away to eat, came back some time later, and there was another guest waiting to be let in. Karin arrived shortly after, apologised briefly, but no real explanation.
Breakfast was not very good and some of the crockery was chipped.
It was as if the owner could not see the place as others experienced it.
In terms of cleanliness it was the worst place we stayed in our 4 weeks in NZ. In terms of price, it was one of the dearest. Not good value and not a pleasant experience.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple