“Great Pear Tree on the pub front”
Review of The Pear Tree Inn

The Pear Tree Inn
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Pear Tree Inn sits at the entrance to Brewery Lane. Just a few hundred yards up this lane you'll find the world famous, family run Hook Norton Brewery along with its shop, visitor centre and museum. The Pear Tree is of course the Hook Norton Brewery tap and offers the full range of Hooky Beers. We serve food Tuesday to Saturday Midday to 7pm, Sunday and Monday till 2.30Pm. We have three delightful on-suite letting rooms and a large car park and garden. We have a quiz on Sunday starting at 8.30Pm, all welcome. Lastly the pub is open for drinks all day, everyday, so no excuse, we'll see you soon.
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Good range of food sandwiches and beer on a Sunday lunchtime. Not much space inside but a couple of tables outside.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

We ate here on Friday night and were not disappointed. I believe the pub has had a poor reputation for some time and has suffered with a lack of interest from the previous Landlords. On arrival we were greeted by the new Landlord who seems very enthusiastic and also seems to have a passion for good beer and good pub food. We ate Thai Chicken Curry and Fish and chips, both were delicious and very large portions. The chips were chunky and crispy, just how we like them, and the fish was lovely and soft with an excellent batter. The curry was rich and tasty and served with a bowl of rice and a mango chutney. The pub is also undergoing some refurbishment we hear, including a total refurbishment of the letting rooms. The Pear Tree is positioned in an idyllic spot for any beer enthusiasts, walkers or those that like to visit the local shopping towns for a couple of days and return for a chilled out dinner and a comfy bed. This is a lovely little pub and we will return next time we are in the area.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Really enjoyed my time here! Small but comfortable with some great local beers. Simple food but good quality and good value.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Having visit the brewery I was invited to visit the neared pub some 500yards from the brewery the ale for which is supplied from the brewery by shire horse pulled dray The ale was excellent and I was made very welcome by the owners. The pub is situatede on the village road but in an idilic position and is a must.

PearTreeHookNorton, Owner at The Pear Tree Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Thanks so much for your review. Roger and the horses normally deliver on a Thursday lunchtime. See you soon. Quentin & The team.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Have been to this pub several times in the past and enjoyed its excellent ales, but have never eaten there. Finding myself in the vicinity this week my friend and I popped in for lunch and as most of the items on the menu weren't suitable for a hot sunny day we chose a ploughman's, thinking you can't go far wrong with that. How wrong can you be?! A chunk of bog standard cheese was the only edible thing on the plate, accompanied by a thick slice of horrible gristly ham, a tasteless and unappetising piece of pork pie, a watery half of tomato, stale bread, half a soft sugary apple and a mound of tasteless salad drenched in some revolting green dressing. A pickled onion and a gherkin completed this travesty of a meal - not even any Branston's. The chef should be ashamed of himself - any pub worth it's salt should be able to deliver a tasty Ploughman's Lunch otherwise they have no business serving food. I dread to think what the rest of the food tastes like and can only wonder at the other reviews praising the new management. We got a distinctly frosty welcome from the woman behind the bar, and when she asked if everything was ok as we were leaving and I told her my thoughts on lunch, she said she would 'tell the chef' - no apology or offer of a refund. This sort of thing gives pubs a bad name. Needless to say, I will not be eating here again.

Dear Ingrid, Thank you for your comments. I am sorry you did not enjoy your visit. I fully appreciate that our Ploughman's lunch was definitely not for you. I had simply tried to include a few items rather than simply presenting you with your typical cheese, bread and Branston Pickle. We source our bread and Pork Pies from a wonderful baker in nearby Braille's and our salad including our juicy, sorry, watery tomatoes come from a farm near Culworth, Banbury. The dressing you mentioned got its vibrant colour from the basil we used to make it. No dressing next time. I shan't dissect the entire meal as I feel that would be pointless. I also take on board your comments regarding our welcome and have taken the necessary action. Leaving the food aside for a second, I hope you fond some comfort in the Hook Norton Ales we serve. Next time you are passing pop in for a pint ant tell us how you like your Ploughman's. After all - it would appear the only way is up! Quentin & The team