“A haven of gorgeousness”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bridge Lake
Free Rein Guest Ranch
newcastle
“A haven of gorgeousness”
Reviewed April 13, 2010

I can't add much more to the reviews here....Free Rein is just wonderful. I had 9 days there which were just about perfect. The accommodation is tasteful, comfortable and wonderfully homely. I stayed in one of the cabins and loved it, but also had a preview of the new lodge which will open this season and it looks fabulous! I was a novice rider and learnt so much that I want to go back. Debbie is one of life's delights and will do anything she can to make your holiday exactly as you want it to be. She has an infectious positivity and love for the land, the wildlife and her horses. I couldn't recomend this place more if I tried.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank sonyahd

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
vancouver, canada
Reviewed October 26, 2009

After an incredibly hectic year, I desperately needed to get out of the city for a little R&R in the wilderness, all by myself. I sent off some queries to various ranches in BC (I’m from Vancouver) and decided that Free Rein was the best fit for what I needed.

Debbie's philosophy is "It's YOUR holiday" and makes every effort to accommodate her guest's desires. If you want quiet time, it's yours. If you want to hang out in the big house for a night of cards and pool, done. Movie night? Sure! Go into town? No problem. 2 rides a day? Saddle up.

The cabins were lovely. Don’t let the lack of pictures scare you off, they are very nicely furnished and decorated and have everything you could need except wireless internet and a TV…. but then that not why one goes to a ranch now is it? The view from the porches overlooking the lake is truly spectacular.

Meals at the big house were uncomplicated but delicious and hearty. Debbie, Kath, Fin, Mervin and Sally were wonderful hosts and great conversationalists. The living room is complete with pool table, dartboard, fireplace, big screen TV and cable. I heard a rumour Debbie will even let you check your email if you can’t quite bring yourself to completely unplug from work.

The horses were all very well kept, well treated, and Debbie and Sally are great riding instructors. I rode English when I was young and had gone on many Western style trail rides, but had never been taught the difference between the two styles. What a difference a little instruction makes! I much more comfortable once I understood the subtler ways of “natural horsemanship” and I think the horses preferred me once I wasn’t sending mixed messages.

The scenery cannot be beat! Everywhere you turn, the view is amazing. Guests set the pace and the trail rides range from easy, leisurely walks through the woods, to challenging climbs to get to high plateaus in the surrounding hills that provide stellar views, to speedy cantors down wide trails and logging roads.

With Mervin, who has playful sense of humour, at the head of the trail ride, you need not fear ever getting lost. I was really impressed by the measures that Debbie and Mervin take to ensure that everyone is safe, sound and comfortable on rides. Having fallen off a horse when I was young, I was very impressed to hear of their emergency procedures, not that any were needed.

Getting there was easy, but do follow the instructions on the website. My GPS and Google Maps kept telling me to take back roads. Stick to the driving instructions and you’ll have no difficulty finding the place.

One week was just not long enough. I’ll be going back for years to come.

Thanks to everyone at Free Reign.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank SingleGirlInTheCity
UK
Reviewed July 28, 2009

We stayed at Free rein for 4 nights at the beginning of July this year. I am an experienced rider but my husband was a complete novice. We arrived late after a very long journey and were welcomed warmly with a delicious meal and a glass of wine which was very welcome! The next day we met our horses and spent time getting to know them in the arena. We received one to one attention and my husband who had previously done very little riding gained enough confidence to hit the trail that afternoon. The trail rides that we did and the scenery surrounding the ranch is beautiful. Rides were tailored to suit us and a couple of times we went seperately so I could go a bit faster! Everyone at the ranch was very friendly and it was a real family atmosphere, Debbie and family, Mervin and Sally were lovely hosts! Our log cabin overlooking the lake was very cosy and had everything we needed. We also enjoyed taking out the canoe in the evenings and watching the beaver on the lake! All in all a fantastic stay and hopefully we will go back one day!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
#1 of 2 in Little Fort
Attwood Creek Ranch
Attwood Creek Ranch
#1 of 6 in Lone Butte

Been to Free Rein Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!