“Exceeded my expectations”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bridge Lake
Free Rein Guest Ranch
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I spent a week at the ranch on my own and it was fabulous. It wasn't very busy when I went in early Sept. so it was just me and a wrangler riding on different trails for five days. We would leave in the morning, come back for lunch, then head out again in the afternoon, or take a lunch and go for the day. The scenery is beautiful and there are many lakes in the area. I had never gone kayaking before, but the lake at the ranch was very calm and it was easier than I thought.
The meals are huge and all were delicious. The steak was so tender you could easily cut it with a plastic knife. The rooms are clean and comfortable. It took awhile to get used to the silence at night, it's so peaceful and nice to be able to look out at the stars.
It’s obvious that the people at Free Rein care very much about their horses, but they also extend that same care to their guests. They take the time to get to know everyone personally and I felt right at home. It’s easy to see why many people go back year after year.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed October 25, 2013

My newly wed and I visited the ranch this autumn having read the reviews thought it was all to good to be true, that nowhere's that perfect, well there is somewhere that's the picture of perfection and Free Rein is that place. We turned up with absolutely no experience with horses and with the top notch tuition from all the wranglers, we left felling like pros. We stayed in one of the cute cabins on the lake, I defiantly recommend this as we got to see wildlife come down to the water almost every morning. The food was always good and homely, and the people there feel more like friends then staff. But the highlight for me as an animal lover is the bond you come to have with your horse, they become a best bud you just can't wait to get up and see each day, it makes it hard to leave them. So don't think about going just go!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed October 17, 2013

This year was my 5th Ranch Vacation in Canada / USA. I made lots of experiences during that time, met wonderful people and rode in breathtaking landscape. So what should I expect from Free Rein? My first positive impression was Debbies quick replay to my really long Mail. She answered all of my questions (and I had a lot of questions) within one day. We booked one year in advance and we stayed the whole year in contact and she gave us useful tips what we could do and see in Vancouver and what´s the best way to get to the Ranch. We decided to go by Greyhound and we arranged to meet in Kamloops, a 2 hour drive from Debbie´s place. Debbie gave us such a heartwarming welcome with a big hug and a gorgeous smile as had we met 100 times before. We felt like part of the family from the first moment and we had indescribable 14 days at the Ranch. The horses are all absolutelly fantastic and Debbie found the perfect match for my boyfriend and me. I was really impressed how Debbie takes care of each of them and treats them like family members and not as object of utillity. We made a lot of half-day rides but also grab our lanch and went for a day-ride. There´s a lake on the Ranch property just a couple of steps from the Lodge and our Cabin away. We went for a little boat tour on a sunny afternoon and had a fabulous view at the Ranch. Debbie´s mom Kath spoiled us with fantastic homemade food - Barbecue, Fishpie, Spaghetti, Chinese food and my personal favourite ribs with a honey souce. Our home far away from home was a cozy little cabin close to the lake with a small a kitchen with microwave oven, hot plate, refrigerator and tea/coffee making facilities. You open the door in the morning and look at a peaceful lake. What a perfect start of the day. Writing about all our experiences and advantures would go beyond the scope of this review.

I would really thank Debbie, Kath, Wrangler Jim, Alley, Finley and Vinnie who made us an unforgetable time at the Ranch and a hard goodbye. But it was not our last visit at the Ranch. We definitelly come back to our family far away from home. Big hug to all of you guys. We already miss you

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2013

If you are after a homey setting with plenty of opportunity to ride well-cared-for horses, this is the place for you. Debbie and her crew offer a warm atmosphere and care for the guests like family.
I went as a single traveler and had a wonderful experience. The place is truly first-class - clean and meticulously run. No fancy bells and whistles - just horses and hominess! Kudos to Debbie on Free Rein Ranch.
Estelle

Room Tip: The lodge is almost new - built in 2010. The lakeside cabins offer a scenic view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We spend 3 Weeks in Canada to get my first long vacation. 3 Days we made a Sightseeingtour in Vancouver. 2 Weeks from 3 we spend at Free Rein Guest Ranch. It was the greatest time I've ever had. Thank you so much Debby, Kathy, Finn and Vinnie. The last Day we spend in Vancouver for shopping. A great Time and sure I make it again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband and I and I visited Free Rein for four nights in early October. Debbie, her parents and team of wranglers took such good care of us and hence our stay was truly the highlight of our Canadian vacation. Debbie takes such great care of her horses and in every interaction with them she shows her tremendous knowledge, love and respect for the animals. This is also true of her wranglers; we also spent much of our time trail riding with Jim who entertained us with his dry wit and in-depth knowledge of the wilderness and his true caring and respect for the horse also shone through on many occasions. We learnt so much from Debbie and her team; particularly Michael (who had only been on a horse a couple of times before) gained a lot of confidence riding on the trails (cantering on his 1st ride!?) and really enjoyed learning to work with horses on the ground. I particularly enjoyed the natural horsemanship lessons, the wonderful scenery and learning to ride Western style. Special mention to Debbie's parents and Alicia who looked after us so well off-horse; Kath and Findlay catered to our every need with wonderful meals and a very comfortable cabin by the lake. We loved the post-meal chats, opportunities to interact with other guests at mealtimes/ trail riding and the feeling that we were part of the family during our stay rather than simply customers. We so appreciate the above-and beyond effort that Debbie and her family made to ensure that our stay was a great one. We hope that we can go back sometime soon!!

Room Tip: The Lakeside cabins are lovely for couples or families
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We spent 2 weeks in Canada to celebrate my Mum's 60th birthday. Having visited Vancouver and Whistler, we spent 4 nights at Free Rein and then moved on to Kelowna and back to Vancouver. Our time at Free Rein was the highlight of the trip for all of us.

Deb, Kath and Finn were incredibly welcoming and it did feel like we were visiting friends from pretty much the moment we got there. They've created such a lovely environment that it really does feel like a home away from home.

We spent my Mum's actual birthday there and they even laid on cake and champagne!

Aside from the hospitality, the scenery and surroundings of the ranch are beautiful. There's a lake you can canoe out onto and there are some resident beavers that pop out at dusk. The trails are diverse and each ride we went on was a completely different experience. The horses were incredibly well cared for and it was great to be trusted to catch and saddle our horses each day rather than just jumping up on them to ride. After 4 days we all felt a close bond with our respective horses.

It was sad to leave and we'll definitely try and make it over again. It was a fantastic 4 days with some incredibly inspirational people.

Thanks again!

Seawood Bed & Breakfast & Cabins
Cottonwood Bay Resort
Cottonwood Bay Resort
#9 of 9 in Bridge Lake

Been to Free Rein Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!