All reviews at home horse whisperer new friends guest ranch my sister experienced riders felt completely food was great beautiful place free reign experience riding debbie wranglers saddle horses horsemanship questions
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Returning back to the UK from 2 weeks in Canada I was posed the question on numerous occasions by friends and family "what was it like"... my reply on each occasion was "EPIC!"
My family and I spent a week of our fortnight holiday at Free Rein Guest Ranch and safe to say it was the most amazing holiday we've ever had.
The last time I'd ridden a horse would be over 20 years ago so I was slightly apprehensive about the thought of a week of trail riding round beautiful British Columbia. From the outset Debbie, her family and the ranch hands put us all at ease. Initially we were asked to select a horse or should I say have a horse select us and bond with them.
Don't expect to just jump straight on to your horse and head off for the hills! Do expect brilliant tuition on grooming, saddling, handling and riding your steed. They were especially attentive with my 6 year old son who had no experience of horses and who seemed to take to it like a duck to water! Once the confidence levels are up it's time to hit the trails. What an amazing experience trailing through forests and valleys on horseback. Spotting all manner of wildlife from Bears, Moose, Elk, Deer, Eagles, Hawks, Crane, to name but a few... I could waffle on describing in detail the awesome panoramic views we saw but my description just wouldn't do them justice, as they need to be seen in person.
Returning from trail rides there's all manner of things to do on the ranch, take a canoe or kayak out on the lake - My brother and I went for a paddle at dusk and sat at one of the three beaver lodges. Sure enough 10 minutes later we were less than 10m away from two beavers. Paddling back we also spotted a moose on the edge of the lake. There's also Mountain Bikes to take out for a ride, BBQ's and campfires evenings, you can stay out in a Tepee overnight, or just kick back with a couple of beers in the games room and discuss the day's events. During our stay we also had a day trip white-water rafting and a trip to Barriere Rodeo all organised by Debbie. Another thing to mention is that the food at the ranch was top notch and there was plenty of it. The accommodation was immaculately presented, clean and really comfortable. Which just rounded off one of the most amazing, fun, action packed and relaxed times of our lives!
BIG BIG BIG thanks to Debbie, her folks and the staff!!
It's not a question of would I go back.... it's when I go back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Free Rein Guest Ranch Sept. 4-10/2012. The best 6 days in a loooooong time ! Great home cooked meals from mama Kath , entertaining conversations with Finlay ( such an accent !),genuine hospitality ,clean super comfortable rooms - my bed was the best ever !!! and the trails were numerous , easy or challenging ,in the beautiful Caribou country. I especially liked how Debbie was so willing to share her knowledge about horses. She is some kind of "horse whisperer"... I learned so much valuable insights on how to be around horses and develop a bond with them.I really liked the hands on approach with caring for Cookie, the horse I was matched with. I felt like I was part of a team and not just a customer. LOVED THAT !!!! Her horses are fabulous- well cared for ,calm, happy... they know they have a good thing going on at the Free Rein Ranch... such characters...like the whole darn family.! Am I going back? DANG TOOTIN' !!!!!!! Dianne Fielding

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank dianne f
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I was a lucky member of the epic stag weekend that went down July 2012. So many great things happened during our stay, from amazing day rides around the local area, to relaxing around the lake, and even human barrel races. One thing that was a constant at Free Rein was the level of service Deb and the rest of the crew provided. It was so good in fact that it felt more like a genuine extension of hospitality as oppose to purely business. I could not think of a better place to spend time with friends and/or family. Looking forward to going back, hopefully next summer for some more epic ranch time! Giddyyup!

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Free Rein Guest Ranch
July 27-29, 2012

I've lived and worked abroad and met many a people along the way. Not surprising is that one of the most unique life experiences was my weekend getaway at Free Rein Ranch. Completely top notch!

I co-organized a best friend's bachelor party and I have nothing but positive things to say about my experience from start to finish. From the first point of contact 6 months ago to the final hug on Sunday I felt completely at home and taken care of.

Debbie exceeded my expectations for a hospitable getaway experience. Each of her team including Finlay, Kath, Ashley, and Kitt all went the extra mile to make us cowboys feel right down at home. The facilities were top notch clean, meals home cooked, and the horses-well they are magical among other things.

Our Wrangler Guides & Hosts, Debbie, & Kitt let us know who was boss yet they gave each of us an opportunity to run with our instincts.

I'm happy to speak of Free Rein Ranch as a second home, a place where I will bring my friends over and over again, my family, and perhaps a place where I will collaborate professionally for Life Coaching workshops and retreats.

Thank you Debbie and the Free Rein Team. You created a lifetime of memories and a lasting impression on me and my gang.

Jordan Birch

Reviewed August 7, 2012

I was taken to Free Rein Guest Ranch for a stag weekend without any prior knowledge of the location. From the moment we arrived Deb and crew went out of their way to make our experience first class. I could not think of a better location to spend with 12 friends regardless of the occasion. The riding was fantastic with endless trails exploring perfect Cariboo back country. The meals were amazing, accomodations perfect, and the personal touch that Free Rein put on my visit will not be forgotten. This is the place to stay for a Guest Ranch trip in BC!
Can't wait to come back.

1  Thank Scott L