All reviews natural horsemanship at home other guests my daughter games room own horse beautiful scenery new friends end of the day solo traveller made us feel food was great ride horses experienced riders nose to tail a couple of times big hugs
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Debbie and her staff were exceedingly hospitable, the horseback riding was top notch, the accommodations were first class, the food was superb, and the cost was extremely reasonable. An awesome trip all around! Can’t wait to go back!

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Debbie and her team were great. Not only welcoming and friendly but extremely accomodating to the unique needs of our group.
Te location was beautiful, with what seemed like an unlimited number of trails to ride.
I would definitely return.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

This place is amazing !!.. from the aesthetic wonderment of it's natural surroundings to the large heart shared by it's owner and staff... the moment we arrived my newly wed wife was wearing tears of joy at such a beautiful setting.. our room was immaculate and comfortable.. the meals were plentiful and accommodating... the company was eclectic and welcome 'round the campfire.. the activities were numerous and enjoyable... the time with the horses was insightful, engaging and most of all.. FUN !!!...

We're so glad we found this place at such an early age... we'll definitely be spending a few more anniversaries here...

Thank you Debbie and the entire Free Rein entourage !!!

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I have visited many guest ranches through the years with horses being my primary focus. I also often travel alone and find small guest ranches to be an excellent choice for offering instant and interesting companions with which to share my adventures and I never feel lost in the crowd. In all of my excellent experiences with guest ranches, Free Rein has proven to be the very best and the only ranch to which I chose to return for a second time---and I will go back again! I usually spend about 10 days on my visits and it is always hard to say goodbye.

First of all the horses are excellent and, most importantly for me, well loved and cared for. The emphasis at Free Rein is on matching a rider's experience with the variety of trail rides available. This is no cookie cutter, one size fits all ranch vacation. I have enjoyed watching Debbie and her wranglers work with first time riders through those with extensive riding experience and I marvel at how they are able to create both confidence and challenge across this broad range of guests.

On my first visit to Free Rein they introduced me to the philosophy of Natural Horsemanship and on my most recent visit Deb and the wranglers worked with me on advancing my horsemanship skills on the ground---all while giving extensive time to a family of three who were riding for the first time. They match you with a horse for the duration of your visit which allows a much richer engagement and I have ridden Magic, a most magnificent Quarter Horse, on both of my visits and I am truly smitten.

And while I like to spend sunrise to sunset with the horses, there is also kayaking or canoeing on a gorgeous lake as well bike riding or just sitting in the lodge or cabins reading a good book.
In addition to all of this there is a friendly, relaxed, welcoming atmosphere created by Debbie, her family and staff that make meal times, with excellent "home cooking" served family style, another wonderful part of the full experience. They are also great at adapting to dietary restrictions with great care, but little fuss.

I could go on and on, but suffice it to say---Free Rein is an excellent choice for a memorable vacation!

Date of stay: June 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Stephanie P
Reviewed July 16, 2012

From first meeting to goodbye you are treated like a member of the family. This is no big anonymous operation, just Debbie her mum and dad and couple of wranglers (Kathy, Fin, Ashley and Kitt) and they do it all. With the main goal of giving you the best time they can.

Debbie somehow pics the right horse for everyone and their level of riding but that will challenge you and improve not only your riding but your equine knowledge. Within half an hour of catching Weasel my horse for my stay I had the amazing experience of him following me of his own free will! Here you go catch your horse, groom and help saddle up and at the end of the day you untack and groom again, so you get to really enjoy and form a great bond with your horse. Weasel suited both my riding and my personality.

The riding is mostly through mature forests with beautiful views and lovely lakes, lopes (canters) are usually on logging roads as the meadows are frequently gopher city's. If your lucky you may even see some wildlife on the rides.

As well as riding there are kayaks and canoes that you can take on the lake by the house, I loved going down to see the beaver dam in the evenings and for the more active there are mountain bikes. There is a TV but rarely used, no cell phone or internet but this was no problem, a great place to catch up on a good book if your not too worn out at the end of the day

For me the main highlights were connecting with a wonderful animal and watching Ashley schooling a horse which had either never been ridden before or only possibly once using natural horsemanship where you use the horses way of communication to gain its trust amazing!

As you can tell I enjoyed my trip here and leaving was hard.
If you have children this is also a great place every child even if they just came for a 1 hour riding lesson left with a smile on their face knowing that they had been really in charge of the horse not just being lead around the arena.

They do not claim to be a luxury ranch but the rooms are clean and comfortable all with a deck (mine was perfect for doing tai-chi in the mornings) and the food is plain english but plenty of it and they try hard to accommodate various diets, likes and dislikes.
Would I go back Yes

Room tip: There are 2 cabins which are good for family's.and several rooms in the lodge with different views but all are ensuite and have a deck plus tea and coffee making machines. Also they do not charge single supplement no matter what room your in.
Date of stay: June 2012