All reviewsat homehorse whisperernew friendsguest ranchmy sisterexperienced ridersfelt completelyfood was greatbeautiful placefree reignexperience ridingdebbiewranglerssaddlehorseshorsemanshipquestions
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I would like to thank Debbie, her family & Kitt for their great hospitality during our stay at Free Rein Ranch. I felt like I went home when I arrived at the ranch !! It was like we were in the company of family with their caring attentive ways. Each and every guest is treated this way !The horses are so healthy and tame and Debbie goes out of her way to share such valuable knowledge she has about these beautiful animals. She even teaches you how to bond with your horse in the corral before riding....it was so amazing how my horse walked up to me all on his own...brought tears to me eyes !!! The trail rides have such variety...open green acres, forested areas, lake side and much more!! The setting of the ranch is unbelieveably beautiful....log cabins on lake front with acres of breathtaking wilderness. The food was delicious!! I enjoyed how we'd all gather after dinner on the front porch of the lodge and chat about how our day went :) In addition there's a games room, sauna, canoeing, boating and camp fires!! The icing on the cake was Debbie...she is so full of life, laughter, wisdom and compassion !! :) This vacation was more then I ever dreamed it would be and I'll be going back for sure !!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 11, 2012

First of all: I warmly recommend this unique Ranch! Wonderful owners, great animals, excellent food, brilliant accomodations, breathtaking landscape.... There’s really nothing to criticize!

Last year I planned to make one of my childrens dream come true: a Ranch vacation!
I was looking for a small, familiar Ranch, as close as possible to the „real ranchfeeling“, especially not to touristic, surrounded by a beautiful countryside and of course: excellent for riding acitivies!
While surfing and reading all the Guestranchsites all over Alberta and B.C., (and as you can imagine: there are quite a lot!!) I must confess: I suddenly felt in love with the Freereinguestranch! This Ranch seemed to have all I was looking for!
That’s why I mailed Debbie (the owner) for further information. I became a very pleasent and likeable answer, as we would have been friends for years! And from this moment I realised: This is the ranch to be!!
And yes, it was! October 2011, I spent a wonderful, unforgettable week there – my dream has been fulfilled!

I stayed in mailcontact with Debbie for half-a-year – until I finally arrived at her beautiful ranch. She even helped me plan my trip (I’m from Switzerland and the ranchweek was just one of 4 weeks I stayed in Western Canada). She sent me nice Website-Links, gave me informations about the weatherconditions in the autumn and was very willing to make my trip save and memorable. I travelled alone, so indeed she offered me to send her a final draft of my itinery and my mobile number, so she could check in with me to make sure I’m safe! Brilliant!
As a single traveller this place is just perfect:
Debbie and her lovely parents welcome you as an old friend, giving you the feeling to be a part of the family... Amazing!
Moreover all accomodations are the same price! And because they work on a first book basic, I was allowed to spent the whole week in this very roomy, gorgeous cabin, just in front of the beautiful lake - including the cute beavers ;o)! I can’t remember ever having such a unique accomodation – really!
Like a little peace of heaven....

The horses are all well-trained and very nice! Debbie loves her horses (her „team“ ;o)) , knows them inside out and treats them very well - for me a very important factor!
She makes sure that you threat them well also and that you feel as comfortable as possible with your buddy!
I loved combing and saddeling „my“ spider in the morning while listening to the countrysongs – just feelin like a real cowgirl! Smile....
We spent a lot of hours in the saddle – I was really fond of! The trailraides offered breathtaking views, although sometimes we needed to cross several Logs on the ground. We also did some „ground work“ with our horses and one day Debbie showed me how to ride a barrel race. So as a passionate rider, you’ll have verything the (cowgirl) hearts desires!

The food was excellent – I’ll never forget the cowboystew with it’s special addition in it... hihi...

I absolutely would spend my holidays there again - as soon as possible!
But unfortunately, Switzerland is not just around the corner....

Memories of a lifetime - - - thanks for making them come true, Freereinranch!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Special vacations for my granddaughter and I began five years ago and each year, she picks something she would like to do or a place she would like to see and I try to create a memory. Well, I have to say, our Ranch Vacation at Free Rein Guest Ranch created more than enough memories to last a lifetime!
After deciding on a "Ranch Vacation" it took me two years to save up and decide which place would be the best. And we got the very "best" at Free Rein! As soon as we got to the ranch we got such a warm and friendly welcome that it was like a "Welcome Home". We settled into our nice little log cabin and sat out on the front deck looking out over the lake and gazed at the mountains. "This has to be like heaven", my granddaughter said. I agreed whole-heartedly. I felt like we had discovered a "little piece of heaven" too!
There are so many things about our week stay at Free Rein that I would like to tell you about but then again, I could go on forever. The rolling hills, the beautiful lakes, and all those places we explored out on our trail rides ... such breath-taking vistas of beauty to discover!
After a hearty breakfast, we ventured out each day with a horse that we were assigned to. (Debbie always has this knack of picking just the right horse for each person.) We loved our horses! My granddaughter was only 12 years old and had very little experience riding a horse. Having grown up on a ranch, I had lots of experience, but not riding for over twenty years made me a little apprehensive to say the least. We didn't have to worry! Our horses were perfect and the pace was just right. By the time the week was over we could ride all day long! We learned a lot about our horse and the rides were relaxing and yet a exciting new venture every day.
Debbie is just a treasure, and one of those special people you always love to meet. Her Mom Kath and her Dad Findlay were hugable ... and we both just loved the wranglers, Ben and Ronnie. After our week at the ranch was over and it was time to go home, both my granddaughter and I were in tears. We thanked everyone a hundred times and still, it didn't seem to be enough! How can you thank someone for all the special moments we experienced each and every day at the ranch. What can you say about a holiday that is so special that the memories will live on forever in our hearts?
So I decided to write this to "pay it forward" and let others know that they too, can discover a little piece of heaven ..... at the Free Rein Ranch.
Sheree

Room Tip: Staying at the guest house would be really nice because each room has a beautiful view and the rooms are better than a hotel because they are more spacious and have that little "touch" of design that makes them special. But I preferred the log cabin because it provided a view of the lake and we loved the "rustic" yet modern feel of the cabin.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 12, 2012

I found this awesome location quite by chance however a view on the website , had me bowled over. I emailed Debbie and received a warm informative and honest response back very promptly. We kept in contact finalising arrangements etc before I came over.

I did the "so you think you can ranch " which was in late October towards the end of season. They do loads more during the year.

From the moment I got there , I was treated like a favourite friend that had come to vist.

The accommodation was excellent and comfortable slept like a baby.
Food was awesome 3 squares a day, if there wasn't something you didn't quite , it was no problem.

I was matched up with my own horse , these guys know their stuff ! So take the advice to start on shorter rides progressing longer hacks .

Evenings you could do what you wished, but mine were spent over nice glass of red and fantastic conversation. With other guests Deb and the gang.

Once the ride were done , there were a few bits and pieces to do round the ranch , I learnt quite a bit about equine care and took part in this. Learnt about the local environment. I even helped out with one of local ranches in preg testing the cattle.

The cowboy stew was very well received that evening.

Frein reign offers something quite unique , so if your looking for those commercialised impersonal 5 star super luxury jobs then this probably isn't for you.

However if you looking for all the horse riding you can do, a real homely feel, reconnecting to nature and just maybe finding your small measure of peace. Then go for it !

I'll definitely be looking to go back.

This review doesn't really give the credit for great memories belly laughs and experiences I had.

So please get in touch with them.
JD

Defo

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed December 22, 2011

If you are looking for a paradise, the Free Rein Guest Ranch is your place! Last summer I went across the world to carry out one of my dreams: To ride across one of the most beautiful natural scenerys I can imagine: the Canadian forests. I travelled solo, so I will remember always how Debbie (the owner) and her parents welcomed me as if we were long lost friends. At the ranch I felt part of the family.
Everything was fantastic: my room, the Lakeview suite, very spacious and comfortable, had the best breath taking view of the lake, the delicious home style meals cooked by Kath (Debbie´s mom), the horses as Cookie, my horse during the week I spent at the ranch, a beautiful black and white horse (I called him “My Indian horse”), but specially the people, the big Free Rein Family: Debbie, her parents Kath and Finlay, the wranglers Ben and Ronnie and the other guests, lovely people from everywhere in the world.
I won´t never forget the amazing trail rides, the picnics at the side of a lake when we made a full day trail, the canoeing in the evenings or the good time spent around a campfire. And… to end that unforgettable holiday: the rodeo. For somebody as me, coming from Spain, the opportunity to see a rodeo was fantastic, I felt inside a western movie!
I recommend the Free Rein Guest Ranch to everybody loving the nature and the horses and looking for a place where meet the new friends in a family atmosphere.
Thanks to everyone at the Free Rein! You know… you have a new friend in Spain! I hope to come back soon!

Isabel (Valencia, Spain)

Room Tip: If you travel solo or you are a couple, choose the lakeview suite, it is the best, excellent!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo