All reviewsat homehorse whisperernew friendsguest ranchmy sisterexperienced ridersfelt completelyfood was greatbeautiful placefree reignexperience ridingdebbiewranglerssaddlehorseshorsemanshipquestions
Reviewed January 12, 2012

I found this awesome location quite by chance however a view on the website , had me bowled over. I emailed Debbie and received a warm informative and honest response back very promptly. We kept in contact finalising arrangements etc before I came over.

I did the "so you think you can ranch " which was in late October towards the end of season. They do loads more during the year.

From the moment I got there , I was treated like a favourite friend that had come to vist.

The accommodation was excellent and comfortable slept like a baby.
Food was awesome 3 squares a day, if there wasn't something you didn't quite , it was no problem.

I was matched up with my own horse , these guys know their stuff ! So take the advice to start on shorter rides progressing longer hacks .

Evenings you could do what you wished, but mine were spent over nice glass of red and fantastic conversation. With other guests Deb and the gang.

Once the ride were done , there were a few bits and pieces to do round the ranch , I learnt quite a bit about equine care and took part in this. Learnt about the local environment. I even helped out with one of local ranches in preg testing the cattle.

The cowboy stew was very well received that evening.

Frein reign offers something quite unique , so if your looking for those commercialised impersonal 5 star super luxury jobs then this probably isn't for you.

However if you looking for all the horse riding you can do, a real homely feel, reconnecting to nature and just maybe finding your small measure of peace. Then go for it !

I'll definitely be looking to go back.

This review doesn't really give the credit for great memories belly laughs and experiences I had.

So please get in touch with them.
JD

Defo

Reviewed December 22, 2011

If you are looking for a paradise, the Free Rein Guest Ranch is your place! Last summer I went across the world to carry out one of my dreams: To ride across one of the most beautiful natural scenerys I can imagine: the Canadian forests. I travelled solo, so I will remember always how Debbie (the owner) and her parents welcomed me as if we were long lost friends. At the ranch I felt part of the family.
Everything was fantastic: my room, the Lakeview suite, very spacious and comfortable, had the best breath taking view of the lake, the delicious home style meals cooked by Kath (Debbie´s mom), the horses as Cookie, my horse during the week I spent at the ranch, a beautiful black and white horse (I called him “My Indian horse”), but specially the people, the big Free Rein Family: Debbie, her parents Kath and Finlay, the wranglers Ben and Ronnie and the other guests, lovely people from everywhere in the world.
I won´t never forget the amazing trail rides, the picnics at the side of a lake when we made a full day trail, the canoeing in the evenings or the good time spent around a campfire. And… to end that unforgettable holiday: the rodeo. For somebody as me, coming from Spain, the opportunity to see a rodeo was fantastic, I felt inside a western movie!
I recommend the Free Rein Guest Ranch to everybody loving the nature and the horses and looking for a place where meet the new friends in a family atmosphere.
Thanks to everyone at the Free Rein! You know… you have a new friend in Spain! I hope to come back soon!

Isabel (Valencia, Spain)

Room Tip: If you travel solo or you are a couple, choose the lakeview suite, it is the best, excellent!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed December 15, 2011

This was our 3rd riding holiday and the horses we rode were the best. Debbie and her family are so very friendly and helpful with a wealth of local knowledge that made our holiday realy special.What ever we wanted to do was never a problem.We stayed in one of the log cabins by the beutiful lake, it was so comfortable and relaxing. The rides were very interesting and at times quite testing with many animals and birds viewed. Horse back is the only to see the fantastic country side in B.C. A special mention must go to Ben our wrangler he is deffinatly the man to go fishing with,great guy.
We arrived as guests and left as friends in fact we stayed an extra 2 days,absolutly brilliant and we will be back.
Mark and Vivienne Stevenson

Room Tip: its all good but the cabins are great
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 19, 2011

Wow where to start...my wife and I decided to go to Free Rein Guest Ranch from October 11-18, 2011 to celebrate our honeymoon. We wanted to do something different, something that was out of the ordinary...we didn't want the typical Hawaii honeymoon.
Free Rein Guest Ranch is a family run ranch. Debbie owns and runs the business along with help from her mom Kath, who does all the cooking home made from scratch, Finlay, her dad, who does the handy work, Ben, the wrangler, and her 4 legged sidekick Vinney (her pup).
When we arrived at the ranch we were promply greeted by Kath who showed us to our lakeside cabin. When we walked into the cabin we noticed a card congratulating us on our recent marriage along with a vase of flowers and 2 individual bottles of champagne.
All the meals were home made and served homestyle in the lodge with all of the guests and staff sitting around a table talking of their daily tales. The day is truly up to you as what you would like to do. We chose to spend most of our days with the horses. We spent time relaxing infront of the fireplace in the lodge and enjoyed a campfire on a crisp evening under the stars after a long day of riding. We, along with the other guests, got the privilege of experiencing a true cattle drive where we got to round up cattle on horseback and sort cattle in the pens.
A memory we won't forget is sitting around enjoying tea and biscuits while playing a good game of scrabble, oh and the "proper english" lessons we got from Debbie and Kath...it's a biscuit not a cookie :)
From the moment we stepped foot on the ranch Debbie and her family made us feel like we were long lost friends and family.
The Free Rein Family has woven it's way into our hearts forever! It is not a question of IF we will return to Free Rein Guest Ranch, it's a matter of WHEN.

Reviewed October 19, 2011

Wow where to start...my wife and I decided to go to Free Rein Guest Ranch to celebrate our honeymoon. We wanted to do something different, something that was out of the ordinary...we didn't want the typical Hawaii honeymoon.
Free Rein Guest Ranch is a family run ranch. Debby owns and runs the business along with help from her mom Kath, who does all the cooking home made from scratch, Finlay, her dad, who does the handy work, Ben, the wrangler, and her 4 legged sidekick Vinney (her pup).
A memory we won't forget is sitting around enjoying tea and biscuits while playing a good game of scrabble, oh and the "proper english" lessons we got from Debby and Kath...it's a biscuit not a cookie :)