All reviewsat homehorse whisperernew friendsguest ranchmy sisterexperienced ridersfelt completelyfood was greatbeautiful placefree reignexperience ridingdebbiewranglerssaddlehorseshorsemanshipquestions
Reviewed October 19, 2011

Wow where to start...my wife and I decided to go to Free Rein Guest Ranch from October 11-18, 2011 to celebrate our honeymoon. We wanted to do something different, something that was out of the ordinary...we didn't want the typical Hawaii honeymoon.
Free Rein Guest Ranch is a family run ranch. Debbie owns and runs the business along with help from her mom Kath, who does all the cooking home made from scratch, Finlay, her dad, who does the handy work, Ben, the wrangler, and her 4 legged sidekick Vinney (her pup).
When we arrived at the ranch we were promply greeted by Kath who showed us to our lakeside cabin. When we walked into the cabin we noticed a card congratulating us on our recent marriage along with a vase of flowers and 2 individual bottles of champagne.
All the meals were home made and served homestyle in the lodge with all of the guests and staff sitting around a table talking of their daily tales. The day is truly up to you as what you would like to do. We chose to spend most of our days with the horses. We spent time relaxing infront of the fireplace in the lodge and enjoyed a campfire on a crisp evening under the stars after a long day of riding. We, along with the other guests, got the privilege of experiencing a true cattle drive where we got to round up cattle on horseback and sort cattle in the pens.
A memory we won't forget is sitting around enjoying tea and biscuits while playing a good game of scrabble, oh and the "proper english" lessons we got from Debbie and Kath...it's a biscuit not a cookie :)
From the moment we stepped foot on the ranch Debbie and her family made us feel like we were long lost friends and family.
The Free Rein Family has woven it's way into our hearts forever! It is not a question of IF we will return to Free Rein Guest Ranch, it's a matter of WHEN.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed October 19, 2011

Wow where to start...my wife and I decided to go to Free Rein Guest Ranch to celebrate our honeymoon. We wanted to do something different, something that was out of the ordinary...we didn't want the typical Hawaii honeymoon.
Free Rein Guest Ranch is a family run ranch. Debby owns and runs the business along with help from her mom Kath, who does all the cooking home made from scratch, Finlay, her dad, who does the handy work, Ben, the wrangler, and her 4 legged sidekick Vinney (her pup).
A memory we won't forget is sitting around enjoying tea and biscuits while playing a good game of scrabble, oh and the "proper english" lessons we got from Debby and Kath...it's a biscuit not a cookie :)

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed October 14, 2011

I had the great pleasure of spending from October 7th to the 12th 2011 at Free Rein Guest Ranch. It was the best vacation I have ever had in my 52 years. The Owner Debbie and her parents welcomed me as if we were long lost friends or I was part of the family. The home cooked style meals were fantastic. Never left the table hungry, and the conversation and laughter during the meals and anytime we were together was very warming of the soul. Each new guest that joined in was made to feel welcomed and part of the growing Free Rein Family. This was actually one of the conversations we all had one night. It was started by a couple from Edmonton that had arrived 2 hours before dinner.
The Ranch house, Lodge and cabins are beautiful as are the surroundings. Everything is well kept and spotless. Games room with pool table, darts and foosball, board games and a reading room. Every window had a fantastic breath taking view.
The horses were all great, and Debbie matched each person with a horse that suited them perfectly. My horse was “Boo”; he was a good big gentle boy. Debbie taught me how to go into the coral and bring our horse in, and prepare them for the ride. She also gave a horse whispering lesson. The feeling of having Boo come to me and follow me where ever I walked, by his choice with out a lead, is beyond words.
I did not want to leave and driving back home I almost turned around a few times and went back. I will be returning as soon as I can. And will hopefully take my daughter with me.
Debbie is an Angel, and Free Rein Guest Ranch is a little piece of Heaven.

Dave
Surrey, B.C.
Canada

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 25, 2011

We stayed with Debbie and her ranch family for our wedding anniversary 10th - 16th of September. We researched ranches in the US and Canada and chose Free Rein because from the moment we started connecting by email, we got on with Debbie immensely and were immediately impressed by her warmth and helpfulness with planning our trip. We were also really interested in learning more about horse whispering principles and Debbie seemed to stick out from the crowd for offering this. You really do get to choose what you want to do, day to day. Debbie instills so much confidence and trust in you that we both felt our riding and horse handling improved by miles, even by the first day. If you like riding where you aren't being told off every 5 minutes because your back isn't straight enough or your heels aren't down, and just want to get on with it and have fun, then Debbie is your girl. She teaches safe, sensitive and kind handling and riding techniques which will make you feel incredible when the horse chooses you as his buddy and leader.
So the riding scapes are fantastically beautiful and Debbie is hugely informative about the local environment.
We just had the best time ever. Our log cabin by the lake was very clean and cosy and our bed was turned down each day.
The group meals were tasty and comforting after long days of learning and riding.
The horses are wonderful.
All in all our stay was fantastic and we cannot wait to revisit in the future. We cannot recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2011

We stayed at the Free Rein Guest Ranch August 2011 with our two kids ages 13 and 16. We researched all the ranches in B.C. and decided on Free Rein for a number of different reasons and were not disappointed. With all of us being beginner riders we wanted to make sure we were getting personalized instruction and I must say Debbie and her team go the extra mile to make you comfortable while at the same time encouraging you to challenge yourself. It was a plus that we were able to do more than just ride our horses, we were able to catch them in the corral, brush them, clean their hooves, and saddle them up and more. Length of the rides varied on what you the guest wanted and varied from shorter multiple rides or day rides, it was fantastic to have a choice. Free Rein only takes a maximum of 12 guests, so the whole feel is very family like and homey from the minute you arrive. And they even supplied the cowboy boots!Not only did we ride, we also took out the bikes, canoed and kayaked and spent some time in the sauna which was a nice treat after a day in the saddle. The food was outstanding, nothing overly fancy just good old home cooking 3 meals a day (kudos Kath!) and believe me we were hungry after a day in the fresh air. Snacks and beverages were always on hand. The kids agreed it was their best vacation ever and were never bored, even though there were only 2 other adult guests while we were there. It was an incredible break from the stress of everyday life and from t.v.s, phones, computers and texting. The kids thrived in this environment and can't wait to go back. We highly recommend it to all families looking to bond with their kids and introduce them to a different world in a tranquil, peaceful setting. We stayed in one of the cabins, and while small, it met all of our needs. The lake is pristine and sounds of the birds and wildlife are calming and soothing. Debbie, you have created a real slice of heaven here, and Kath, Findlay, Ben and Ronnie just added to the experience. Of course we must comment on our beloved horses - Boo, Chance, Cookie and Spider. Thanks again for giving us (and especially our kids) a vacation we will talk about for years to come.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family