“Monday lunch time”

Duke of Wellington
Ranked #15 of 68 Restaurants in Loughton
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A restaurant specialising in Steak & Seafood in the middle of Epping Forest
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Wide choice on the new winter menu.

As it was a chilly wet Monday I plumped for comfort food of suet pudding with the added twist a chicken and mushroom filling my idea of heaven. I didn't mind that they had no mash to accompany it, I like chips . My disappointment started when I tried to cut into my pudding. I fear the pudding was 'microwaved' while the middle was really good, the crust was over cooked like a biscuit it was so hard couldn't bite it. The choice of vegetables spouts, cabbage and I think it was once spinach, had been boiled within an inch of it's life little flavour just dying on a side plate.

My companion chose the cod and chips, which was huge and really good. His peas were cooked to perfection. I so wish I had had that.

I would have scored poor for my meal and good for my friends. So I can only give average. The décor is very inviting lovely relaxed atmosphere mums and children and locals lunching with good views over the forest from tables at the back and the loo are fresh and spotless.

1  Thank Suzanne1London

Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

Having attended for Sunday lunch, the food was very nice and served quickly. The only down point was that we had a table of six next to the entrance and another two tables of two in the corner. So for people to get there table three of us had to moved a couple of times not the end of the world as I would have given 5 stars and not 4.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Yes - it was a busy bank holiday and we were OK with the one hour wait for food, but to be asked to pay £4 for an extra plate so two young children could share a portion of fish and chips is outrageous. Worse was to come...I gave my credit card to pay at the bar, and seconds later my friend and I decided that payment should come from his card. I asked if we could use that card instead. "Too late," was the reply. "But could can void the transaction?" (I'd not even entered my PIN at this point). "No, I'm too busy!" was the response.

2 stars rather than 1 because the location was nice and the beer was good.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Visited after walking the dogs in Epping Forest for a quick drink. Wasn't intending to eat, but food looked so appetising we decided to stay!
Very nice location with an adequate car park - overspill on road.
Lovely and clean inside - all facilities very nice.
Very efficient staff who provided a good service. Without asking, the lady took our dogs water bowl, and had a member of staff fill it with nice cool water for them.
There is a good selection on the menu and it is well priced. They were busy as it was a Sunday lunchtime but no one appeared to have to wait a long time for their meals. We ordered a cod and chips which was well presented and very tasty - with peas and a homemade tasting tartare sauce. The cod portion is ENORMOUS! Well worth a visit.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Booked a table for 3.30pm ,when we arrived the table wasn't ready so we had to sit down at the table we was given while the waitress sprayed the table us well us as with cleaning fluid .we was not given any menu's so we had to take some off another table ,when we ordered our food we was told it would be a 40mins wait which we said would be ok ,but 1hour later we was still waiting when the food come up it looked very nice but we wasn't given any cutlery to eat it with so I had to go to the bar to ask for some . The food itself was very nice and worth the money if only the service we got was better.