“Excellent service”
Review of Chongs - CLOSED

Chongs
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: One of the most popular restaurants in the town.
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Monday evening at 7pm. Only one other party in restaurant but noticed brisk take-away service. Food was good, plentiful, hot and fresh. No complaints. Not my most favorite quisine so not an expert. The menu was set at £17.50 per person. Comfortable and clean.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

A friend and I went with my son to this restaurant. We looked online before we went to find out the cost, I had trouble trying to find a website but eventually came across a price of £15 per head. When we arrived we were shown the prices before we ordered and the price was a little higher, it was infact £17.50 for adults and £10 for my son, so although a little more expensive than we had anticipated we decided to stay. We ordered some drinks and ordered starters and middle starters which we enjoyed. We ordered some more drinks and were given the menu for the main courses. I just happened to turn over and look on the back of the menu which stated there would be a 10% service charge. My friend and I were surprised at this and felt that this should have been pointed out before we decided to order. It's not that we are against making a tip that we feel is appropriate but the thought that they would automatically charge this without having made it clear beforehand didn't seem right .... I mean what's to stop them adding an extra 50% without making people clear of it. We quickly looked up our rights via mobile phone and read that although making a service charge was not uncommon it should be either made clear verbally or shown to you in writing before you order your meal, neither of which applied. When we finally got the bill there was an amount just short of £6.00 named "other services" so I queried the waiter on this and he explained that it was a 10% service charge. I told him this hadn't been made clear to us beforehand and we were not happy about the deceit and please could he take this off. He fetched the manager who was totally arrogant and rude but I argued the point and said as a matter of principal I would not be paying the extra 10%. He replied by saying "if you would have asked about it I would have told you about it" which to me was just laughable. In the end he agreed for us just to pay the bill without the added 10% but told us that we were barred from coming again to which I obviously replied that I would never want to come back or recommend it to anyone. He also told us that because we hadn't paid a tip his staff would not be getting paid ...... so whatever happened to the minimum wage????

1  Thank Joanne A
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Great food and lots of it. We used to come here regularly but haven't been for a couple of years so wasn't sure if it was still as good .We needn't have worried, it was just as good as we remembered. The eat as much as you like menu is a great idea as we can never decide what to eat when limited to a couple of dishes.Ideal for greedy people!!
We were there on a weekday so there were not many people there.

1  Thank Carole L
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I come here a lot for takeaway, food is reasonably priced sometimes takes a little while but its quality over fast food. I have sat in and the food is very nice, the duck pancakes were superb and we really liked the rotating table middle, nice night out.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Family and friends and me have been going to chongs for years, we have birthdays here and just a night out. also they do a lovely lunch. the food is always excellent the staff are always lovely. we have had so many lovely times here. and many more to come.

1  Thank rona c