We found Tamarind on the internet when desperately trying to find a stop off in the area. Ochi was pretty much full as it was a busy weekend with bank holidays either side. But good for us that we found Tamarind!
The house is beautiful , built to a very high standard by Gillian and Barry. The rooms are all of a good size, the communal areas very spacious and the pool excellent.
Here you are living in the middle of nature, but very close to the beach resorts. While you sit having one of Gillian's lovely breakfasts you can watch birds fluttering past and take in the beautiful flowers and plants.
While we were there we went on a tour of Sun Valley plantation just down the road. Here we learnt all about the fruit and vegetables that grow in Jamaica.
If you get a chance you should also sample Gillian's cooking. We had two lovely meals as well as the breakfasts.
The only downside was that it was very hot and difficult to sleep at night: our own fault for going to Jamaica in August!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We offer our guests at Tamarind a unique environmentally-friendly setting providing luxury accommodation at very affordable prices. Secluded waterfalls, plantation tours, James Bond Beach and Noel Coward's Firefly are only a few of the nearby attractions. Ocho Rios is a 30 minute drive, with its varied activities, such as botanical gardens, the famous Dunn's River Falls, Dolphin Cove as well as Mystic Mountain tree top tours. Of course there are lots of restaurants and duty free shopping, as well as a large local craft market. Tamarind Great House is built on the site of an original planters estate, first built in the 18th century. The house has solid wooden floors from locally sourced trees throughout the downstairs, with antiques and locally made furniture to enhance the feel of colonial Jamaica. Our guests enjoy the relaxed atmosphere of Tamarind, with its spacious bedrooms and large balconies. Our 13 acre farm produces fresh organic fruits and vegetables used in our kitchen. The road to Tamarind is a Jamaican country road, and the scenery to the house shows you every side of the real Jamaica. We are an owner run guest house, therefore catering personally to your requests. Away from the main road, a relaxed and safe setting, surrounded by verdant hills, tropical flora and fauna. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Booking.com, HostelWorld and TripOnline SA so you can book your Tamarind Great House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tamarind Great House Hotel Oracabessa
- Tamarind Great House Jamaica/Oracabessa