I went to Jamaica to present in an art conference organized by the Edna Manley College of Visual and Performing Arts in Kingston. After a hectic three days, i decided to go up the mountain to gain some relaxation before heading back home to USA. Through an art connection in Chicago, I learned about Tamarind Great House B & B. It was the best choice I could have made! Located at the top of a mountain 3hrs drive from Kingston the house allowes for a extraordinary scenery and tranquility. Gillian and her husband Garry are the owners of this B & B for the past 20years and they really make feel at home! Gillian prepared me a homemade dinner that made me feel like a queen- everything from her garden and the fish from their fish farm! Prior to my trip, I communicated often with Gillian via email- she went the extra mile to help me with my trip plans and even gave me advise and suggestions pertaining to staying in Kingston. The place is up the mountain with no internet access so if you need to be closed to the buzz of a city and need internet access, this is not your place though. For me- I had two days of relaxation of my physical body and enrichment at the spiritual and soul level. I'll be sure to return next time I visit Jamaica!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We offer our guests at Tamarind a unique environmentally-friendly setting providing luxury accommodation at very affordable prices. Secluded waterfalls, plantation tours, James Bond Beach and Noel Coward's Firefly are only a few of the nearby attractions. Ocho Rios is a 30 minute drive, with its varied activities, such as botanical gardens, the famous Dunn's River Falls, Dolphin Cove as well as Mystic Mountain tree top tours. Of course there are lots of restaurants and duty free shopping, as well as a large local craft market. Tamarind Great House is built on the site of an original planters estate, first built in the 18th century. The house has solid wooden floors from locally sourced trees throughout the downstairs, with antiques and locally made furniture to enhance the feel of colonial Jamaica. Our guests enjoy the relaxed atmosphere of Tamarind, with its spacious bedrooms and large balconies. Our 13 acre farm produces fresh organic fruits and vegetables used in our kitchen. The road to Tamarind is a Jamaican country road, and the scenery to the house shows you every side of the real Jamaica. We are an owner run guest house, therefore catering personally to your requests. Away from the main road, a relaxed and safe setting, surrounded by verdant hills, tropical flora and fauna. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com, HostelWorld and Priceline so you can book your Tamarind Great House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tamarind Great House Hotel Oracabessa
- Tamarind Great House Jamaica/Oracabessa