One of the objectives that my friend and I wanted to meet during our time in Jamaica was to stay on a plantation: backpacking about Jamaica with only our LONELY PLANET to guide us and up until this point staying in rather rustic accommodations, we were thrilled to discover the review of the Tamarind Great House and decided to make this the final stop, the treat, at the close of our trip. We couldn't have been more thrilled with our choice and still can hardly believe our GREAT fortune in arriving here. In fact, we ended up staying two nights rather than just the one that we'd planned initially because we fell so in love with the setting, and with the warm yet professional hospitality of our hosts, Barry and Gillian. The property is stunning. Period. The lush, manicured lawns, the profusion of flowers dripping over pergolas and bursting out of gorgeous antique pots, the plethora of fruit and vegetables organized into neat beds across the hillside, the sweeping patios, the elegant pool, the stately building itself, and the breathtaking vista from the front porch. Absolutely incredible. The house is rather remote-- but so peaceful as a result, and quite idyllic in its scenery, which includes a river with glorious cascades and pools in which to swim. Furthermore, the area is so removed from the madness of most of the tourist areas in Jamaica that one can real relax and feel safe. The food, all expertly prepared by Gillian in the house kitchen, is nearly all grown on-site-- including the farm-raised talapia from the pond in the back and the chicken as well. It is both artfully presented and deliciously rendered. Barry and Gillian are fascinating, brilliant, generous, and exceptionally welcoming proprietors whose goal it is to give guests the ultimate in comfort and satisfaction; and this is a goal which they meet and exceed! Absolutely DO stay in this fabulous spot if you happen to be in or even around the area...You will not be disappointed!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We offer our guests at Tamarind a unique environmentally-friendly setting providing luxury accommodation at very affordable prices. Secluded waterfalls, plantation tours, James Bond Beach and Noel Coward's Firefly are only a few of the nearby attractions. Ocho Rios is a 30 minute drive, with its varied activities, such as botanical gardens, the famous Dunn's River Falls, Dolphin Cove as well as Mystic Mountain tree top tours. Of course there are lots of restaurants and duty free shopping, as well as a large local craft market. Tamarind Great House is built on the site of an original planters estate, first built in the 18th century. The house has solid wooden floors from locally sourced trees throughout the downstairs, with antiques and locally made furniture to enhance the feel of colonial Jamaica. Our guests enjoy the relaxed atmosphere of Tamarind, with its spacious bedrooms and large balconies. Our 13 acre farm produces fresh organic fruits and vegetables used in our kitchen. The road to Tamarind is a Jamaican country road, and the scenery to the house shows you every side of the real Jamaica. We are an owner run guest house, therefore catering personally to your requests. Away from the main road, a relaxed and safe setting, surrounded by verdant hills, tropical flora and fauna. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Booking.com and HostelWorld so you can book your Tamarind Great House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tamarind Great House Hotel Oracabessa
- Tamarind Great House Jamaica/Oracabessa