“A Gem in Jamaica”
Review of Golden Cove Villas

Golden Cove Villas
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Had the opportunity to spend a few days at this beautiful villa. Didn't know about it before, but it came highly recommended. It was incredible! The staff was fabulous and the pace of life there is just what anyone needs to rewind. The place is an oasis!! Oh, and the chef will prepare everthing to your liking. Great place for the family and friends to relax and just soak up the views.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write regarding your stay with us at Golden Cove, we are pleased that the staff, the food and the aesthetics of the villa made your stay good. Please be sure to stay with us again.

Reviewed April 30, 2012

Each time I go to Golden Cove I am welcomed as a returning member of the Family. My family and Friends and I spent this last Easter week there; we even had an adventure at sea. The pace was just right for hard working people and the staff was excellent. Our meals were prepared just to our liking and safety was the first concern of our adventure guides.

The children had fun in the pool and the ocean and the sun and the staff kept them occupied whilst us adults had our own play. When I was tired there were enough hiding place for me to take a snooze, read my book or just watch others play. I felt the stress slip away on my drive to the property knowing what awaited me. I would highly recommend Golden Cove to anyone who needs the rejuvenation.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 28, 2012

The staff and ambiance was fabulous. We had the best five nights in a long time. We were able to set our own pace and did what we wanted when we wanted. Secluded but just rightly positioned from the town of Ocho Rios this is an excellent vacation spot to regain your groove.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed April 26, 2012

I stayed at Golden Cove for a wedding of a friend. The stay was amazing, mostly due to the scenery (fantastic view), excellent service of the butler and waitstaff, and the company of friends. We had a 2nd floor room that had an excellent view of the ocean and pool. The room was cleaned regularly and we had no problems with housekeeping. I often found myself hunting down an iron which posed to be annoying, but since we were all friends it was easy to find it and borrow it. There was only one safe per villa, which happened to be in my room but the others guests felt uncomfortable not having one.

We spent most of our days in the pool or the patio and enjoyed our lazy days. The staff were AMAZING (MICHEAL (our fave), Nicholas, Wally, Clive and Rosemarie) and so accommodating I initially felt guilty making so many requests. However lets discuss the not so good points that nearly spoiled such a joyous occasion. The food at times would be low, which made no sense since the guests were all accounted for. We believe they take $ off the top for operations versus putting it into service.

****DO NOT ARRANGE TRAVEL THROUGH THE HOTEL!!!! THEY CHARGE $140 FOR THE RIDE ONE WAY, WHEN YOU ARRANGE THROUGH THE AIRPORT FOR $100 ROUNDTRIP!!!!**

The management office was hardly EVER occupied by the unfriendly stern manager. She barely made an appearance after her initial greeting and upset the bride and her family on several occasions.

One of the final straws was when she DENIED a wedding guest the use of the office phone to call a taxi for a ride back to her hotel. It was incredibly heartless and rude and everyone was so upset by it. Then on the day before we left we were informed that our AMAZING butler had been fired immediately, with no proper explanation. We believe that she was jealous we approached him with all of our needs versus her. Now I can't be sure of all the reasons but this should not have been done in front of guests AT ALL :(

I loved the villas and everything they had to offer. Unfortunately I will NOT EVER return and simply keep the memories and pictures.

Room Tip: get a room on the second floor for a view!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Leesh H
GoldenCove, Manager at Golden Cove Villas, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write regarding your stay with us at Golden Cove, we are pleased that the staff and the beauty of the property enhanced your stay with us. We are sincerely sorry to hear of those aspects that you referred to that made the experience less than you anticipated, as our policy is to do everything possible to make our guest's stay a truly enjoyable one.

The team always seeks - where possible to accommodate the requests of guests that may further enhance their vacation. We have noted your concerns and observations. Regarding the cost of transportation we quote the exact rates given to us by the tour company and only use companies approved by the Tourism authorities. We will continue to seek the best value for our guests while ensuring their comfort and safety.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

I attended a wedding at this property. The beauty of the location cannot be matched! One of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. I stayed five days (minimum allowed). At first glance the room was acceptable however the service was not meant to provide comfort. Having travelled from the US with my wedding outfits rolled up in a suitcase it was necessary for me to find an iron someplace. My request for one was ignored for my entire stay but one of the other guests was able to do some arm twisting to get one. I borrowed it. The clock radio did not work even after I asked the manager for one twice. There are no TV's in rooms only in the living room for all to share. I did bring my own wash cloth therefore was not much disturbed by the stained, worn linen.Toilet tissue and soap are rare after you have used the first one with two people sharing. There seemed to be a hostile reception from the 'office' whenever there was a request for anything. None of the two wall clocks in the villa worked. There was one working outlet in the kitchen and one in the living room for charging electronics. The low wattage bulb on the night stand made reading impossible but there were no magazines or anything to read. There are four employees who merit high kudos. We could not have had a successful event without Michael who worked tirelessly to provide superb hospitality. He is the epitome of excellence. We all loved Nickolas, the lifeguard who arranged for us to have coconut water and provided support and information for swimmers. Wally gave service with a smile and warmth, and Marvin whose pride in groundskeeping made us feel welcome. The natural beauty of the view and the special employees mentioned made our event a success. Food may be scarce. I do not think the management cares because the office person gets angry..

Room Tip: The view from upstairs is best however there is a good view from anywhere. Pool parties may keep you...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Dorothy T
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Visited Golden Cove for a friends wedding. Stayed 5 nights. The property was very nice. Many places to sneak away and retreat. Was a much needed break from busy hotel and resort vacations. Room amenties were good. They only have a tv in one of the four bedrooms and only a safe in one upstairs bedroom. The villas weren't used to renting all the villas out at once. This was evident because they never had enough towels. I blame this on the owner/management. They were also stingy with the toilet tissue. One night I ran out and had to take some from the pool bathrooms. The maids and other servers we extrememly nice and accomodating. I was at first taken back by the fact that the servers used the kitchen in our villa regularly to make coffee to serve for guest, to heat bread to put out for meals, etc. but since they were so nice I just overlooked it and just made sure to pick up the knives they left on the edge of the counter or push the hot toaster oven further on the counter because I had 2 little kids with me. But despite all the misc comments I would reccommend for family gatherings, weddings, friends getaways, etc. Its a place to retreat to.

• Stayed: February 2012
GoldenCove, Manager at Golden Cove Villas, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2012

We have noted the concerns regarding availability of towels and certain amenities and apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused. A full review of our operations has been done and measures have been put in place to ensure that our high standards of service and operations are consistently maintained. The Golden Cove team looks forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed March 29, 2012

I am a Jamaican, local, getting married at Firefly in June 2012. I wanted to get married at a villa because hotels come with a lot of restrictions. I contacted a villa specialist who recommended Golden Cove in October 2010. We wanted to stay 2 or 3 nights because we are from Kingston and so are most of our guests. My fiance and I went to look at this villa as a venue. It was very clean and nicely decorated, but the place had more of a garden setting rather than a beach setting, so we declined. The property manager gave us a tour of the property. To get to the beach one would have to go down a very steep walkway, not very ideal for a wedding. So we kept looking. We found Firefly, but needed a accommodation close by. I thought Golden Cove, its nice, lots of my guests could stay there etc. ideal. Well when I contacted my villa manager to book the dates in December 2011, she told me that Golden Cove requires a 5 night minimum. And why was I not made aware of the policies from the beginning. Most of my guests live in Kingston means that they don’t need 5 nights for a wedding. I am so upset. Who needs any more stress when planning a wedding. That alone is stressful. This place was referred to me knowing my requirements. Now I have to look for somewhere to stay with not many options, especially St. Mary, Jamaica. You would also think since its been a year and a half and they would try to accommodate me this one time, especially since its my wedding and for the misunderstanding. I wanted to book three villas for 3 days, it wasn’t even they worst case scenario 1 villa for 1 night. Thanks a lot Golden Cove for making things much harder and for treating a guest poorly and not by a situation. I work in travel industry and I will never recommend this place.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank dapackage

At Golden Cove Villas we offer a range of vacation packages tailored to the needs of our guests and in keeping with the highest standards of operation. These packages currently require a minimum stay of five nights and come with a full range of amenities and the excellent service that we seek to offer each guest. Most of our guests have been fully satisfied with this policy and it is consistent with the practice of other similar facilities.

Occasionally some persons would wish to book for a shorter stay but we have not been able to accommodate them. We regret this but are not in a position to change our policy at this time. Every effort will be made to ensure that our representatives fully inform prospective guests of our policies when they make enquiries. We will continue to provide all our guests with the type of vacation experience that exceeds their expectations.