“Mixed Feelings”
Review of GoldenEye

GoldenEye
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Oracabessa
Reviewed March 30, 2014

When we first arrived, I was very excited as the reception area was well designed and felt authentically caribbean with the white wall walls and the dark wood accents with wonderful old photographs, etc. and the dining room was quite nice as well. I was disappointed though as I walked out and most of the property lacked a feeling of authenticity and beauty. There is a rock island smack in front of the beach which is covered in concrete and is surrounded by white stone walls and in my opinion there is too much concrete surrounding all the pools, and the bar/lunch area. I prefer beaches with more of a natural beauty. However, there was a beautiful natural lagoon behind the beach with nice cabins and decks right on the water. These rooms are quiet and peaceful. They provide guests with paddle boards and kayaks which is great. Adults should accompany children though.
I think the Goldeneye is best geared for young families as it is very manageable. It would be nice if they had more activities for older children. Even the addition of a ping pong or pool table would be nice. Also, for the price, I feel it lacked some important details such as a live band and a work out room.

The staff was wonderful…very helpful and friendly and the food was quite good.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank purpleleaf
Ricardo B, General Manager at GoldenEye, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your comment!

Firstly, the beauty of GoldenEye is that it offers many different features around the property to suit different tastes. Some areas may appeal to some persons while it may not to others.

I cannot agree more that the property works well with families especially our Water Sports Team who do a wonderful job with the activities available.

We are consistently reviewing our product and as such will be incorporating more entertainment and activities to suit the needs of all ages.

We hope that as we introduce these new activities it will encourage you to re-visit in the future.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

My wife and I had a long weekend to celebrate our birthdays (which are a day apart) and booked the Two Post Outpost Package which gave us two days on the beach at Goldeneye and two days in the Blue Mountains overlooking Kingston at Strawberry Hill. There were an number of freebies that came with the package including free transportation between the two resorts. It was the perfect Jamaican Sampler. We have stayed in some amazing places over the last 33 years and visiting 36 countries, but this even surprised US!

We loved the cottage # 7 on the tranquil lagoon. Walking out of the bedroom and onto the covered porch over the water to read a book on the lounge chairs sipping cool drinks and complementary birthday truffles was the epitome of picturesque relaxation for us. The rooms were lovely and well appointed. There was a footed tub in the bathroom and an outdoor shower. We used and enjoyed both. ...Being an avid paddler, Goldeneye was paradise! We had the option of paddling the two complimentary kayaks lying on our private dock to everywhere in the resort! ...Never have seen that before. We paddled to the spa, beach, and restaurants. The lagoon cottages are back to back with the beach cottages and it is only about 100 yards or less from the lagoon to the beach. You can paddle full circle around the resort in about 30 minutes. The resort dining is limited, but quite good. I reserved a "table for two" on the end of what they call the peninsula for an unforgettable private dinner one night for an extra fee. It was well worth it. Both resorts were about as relaxing as I have ever experienced.

As far as other activities, we enjoyed the paddle boards as well. We didn't jet ski. We enjoyed the tour of Ian Flemming's home at Goldeneye where he wrote all the James Bond novels. We picnicked at Noel Coward's Firefly. We only left for one real excursion while at Goldeneye and that was to the Blue Hole. It was Amazing and covered by another review. Don't miss it!

This was a perfect vacation! We left wishing we had more time and look forward to going back. I recommend the Two Post Outpost. It would be a shame to come to Jamaica and not do both Goldeneye and Strawberry Hill. The two resorts, both owned by Chris Blackwell of Island Records fame, are completely different experiences. If we had to choose one over the other, for the life of me I couldn't decide. You are truely missing out and doing yourself a disservice if you don't stay at both properties!

We purchased an open jaw plane ticket and flew into Montego Bay staying at Goldeneye first and left from Kingston, just down the mountain from Strawberry Hill. That way we had a bit of an island tour and were close to both airports on arrival and departure. The two resorts are less than two hours apart - unless you stop in Kingston to see the Bob Marley Museum as we did. Otherwise I would recommend flying roundtrip out of Kingston.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tom H
Ricardo B, General Manager at GoldenEye, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for this great review.We are thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful time at both GoldenEye and Strawberry Hill.

Lovely to hear that you enjoyed the Lagoon cottage at GoldenEye and all the amenities that come with it!

We all look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful properties.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

I would say that the reviews here are way over hyped. It is a very nice place to getaway if you dont want much to do. THE PROS: fairly quiet, the cabins are set on a beautiful lagoon, the kayaks are fun to ride around on, water sports guys were great and helpful, and it's a good place to hang out and recharge. THE CONS: one small restaurant at night, the bar is almost empty every night, the service is ok but way overhyped on these reviews, hit or miss with the wait staff too, some were good, others didnt seem to love their job, concierge was not helpful and didnt seem thrilled about a lot, decor was great in some places and dingy in others, lots of kids (which is fine but you should know that before going into this), plenty of traffic noise from trucks passing by in the nearby town, the water on the beach side is almost always rough, other than a small area within the beach, the rest of the beach is full of rocks and is tough for the staff to keep covering, you can't walk across the entire beach near the water, the room is nice and clean but not extravagant as many reviews here make you believe, bed isnt great, food is good but nothing over the top or anything. I think I would be more positive if these reviews were a little more realistic. It's a nice and a unique place, with average service, average food, no entertainment and not much more to do. I am happy that I went there once.

Stayed: February 2014
8  Thank Sally S
Ricardo B, General Manager at GoldenEye, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2014

Dear guest:

We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments.

The beauty about our resort is that even when the hotel is full our guests can get that quiet, private and peaceful feeling. However, there are times when guests will connect in groups at the restaurants and the bar.

Even though we normally get glorious comments on our staff, we do take your comments into consideration and will provide further training.

Regarding the traffic noise from trucks we are not sure how this may have happened as the main road is quite some distance away from the Lagoon Cottages, but we still appreciate your comments.

Although our resort is very private we also tend to attract more families during Holidays and during school breaks.

Regarding the food we strive to promote Jamaican Cuisine as much as possible and typically our food is nothing overly fussy but we strive to ensure flavor and authenticity.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

My husband and I went to The Golden Eye for a two week stay in February 2014 for my 50th birthday and our 27th anniversary. It is truly a magical place. So serene and beautiful. The place is laid out so well. That even though it was fully booked when we arrived over Valentines day. It felt like we where the only guest there. The staff and management are amazing. A special thank you to Ricardo who so kindly gave me a lovely card, bottle of wine and truffles for my birthday. And the whole staff serenaded me over dinner on my birthday. Thank you to Clayton for all of his help. He is a huge asset to this magical place. The staff are all fantastic. And really make you feel at home. The villas and cottages are amazing. The lagoon cottages are very private and being able to jump right in to the lagoon from your own deck is an unforgettable experience in itself. The beach cottages and villas are great too. You can not go wrong at The Golden Eye. Chris Blackwell has created a piece of heaven on earth. Can highly recommend this very special place. Thank you to everyone at the Golden Eye who made our stay there a memory of a lifetime. From Ricardo, Clayton, Sash, Felicia, All the staff and great chefs in both the Bizot bar and The Gazebo .The Spa was amazing and treatments fantastic. And the therapists very very good. Make sure you try the water sports. Kayaking, snorkelling , the list is endless. So much to do. Or just chill out in the most magical place we have visited in a long time. Very special indeed. We are looking forward to our next visit. Thank you everyone at Golden Eye. We had the most relaxing time. And made many treasured memories. Cecilia and Dave.

Room Tip: Lagoon cottages , villas and suites are very private and special. The beach one are fantastic too. B...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cicide
Ricardo B, General Manager at GoldenEye, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive review. We are very thrilled you had a wonderful vacation and you chose GoldenEye for your 50th Birthday and Anniversary celebration.

I will be sure to pass on to the staff you mentioned in this review.

We Wish you happy memories and look forward to welcoming you back—just let us know when and we'll have a GoldenEye cocktail waiting for you.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

My husband and i did the two post outpost stay with 3 days at Strawberry Hill and 4 at Goldeneye.

From the moment we arrived at Goldeneye the staff and accomodations far surpassed our wildest dreams...

The room was incredible... the food was delish.... the service awesome (i got a sunburn on the second to last day and the staff brought me freshly cut aloe to help regularly) The outdoor shower is great and even the products they supply as shampoo and such are excellent quality and smell amazing.

I had services done at the spa that were incredible as well... we also did a jetski tour to Dunns River Falls.... the guide was great and informative and we had a blast with him.

We went to Firefly and had drinks and snacks one day... all packed and planned by the resort

We were in lagoon 10... i paddle boarded to the spa lol

I have not one complaint about the entire visit... it was incredible and we hope to be able to go back again one day.

Room Tip: the lagoon villas are great.... private / on the water / peaceful... we had lagoon 10 ...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rikki M

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your generous review of our hotel!

It was a pleasure to have been able to host you. We were grateful to hear that our staff made your trip a success.

The comments you have made about our rooms, food and your overall stay will also serve to further motivate our team. We look forward to your return and hope that you will not hesitate to think of us as your “home away from home”.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

I recently booked a vacation to Goldeneye only to receive an email a couple of days later informing me that hey had overbooked and could not honor my reservation. They offered no solution, no offer to reimbursement airfare, no alternative except to rent two one bedroom villas at the standard rate. Totally unacceptable. In addition, I am a returning customer. If you have a reservation you better call and confirm. I bet Chris Blackwell would be appalled; or, maybe that is the way he conducts business. I will ask the next time I run into him since we are in similar businesses.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
13  Thank Bruce R
Ricardo B, Manager at GoldenEye, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Dear Guest,

We do appreciate you choosing GoldenEye and Island Outpost!

Once we identified the error there was little we could have done as we are a small Boutique Hotel with limited rooms. However, our reservations team did offer their best available solution which you have accepted so we were under the impression that all was resolved considering the offer was accepted.

Our records show that you have extended on the original offer. We are sorry you had to use this medium to express your dissatisfaction and didn't choose to bring to Management's attention immediately.

Again, we do appreciate you choosing GoldenEye and hope this has not tarnished your impression of our property.

We do look forward to hosting you to a great vacation!

Group General Manager-Island Outpost

Reviewed January 13, 2014

I had the opportunity to go with some friends to Goldeneye this past December and had such an incredible time. The resort is beyond beautiful and very private! The 2-bedroom villa we stayed at was right on the beach and so comfortable. The outdoor shower was a really nice treat! The staff was so welcoming, the service was great and the food was delicious! Paddleboarding around the resort is a must! Highly recommend this resort for anyone looking to get away and the chance to hang out with Mr. Blackwell was beyond an honor!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind review.

Your positive comments about GoldenEye, the service and staff was rewarding to our team.

We all look forward to your return and can assure you that we will make sure your next visit is even more memorable!

Ricardo Bowleg

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oracabessa
Jamaica Inn
Round Hill Hotel & Villas
Half Moon
Half Moon
#3 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to GoldenEye? Share your experiences!