“Underwhelmed”

GoldenEye
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Oracabessa
“Underwhelmed”
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

I wanted to love Goldeneye but unfortunately it missed the mark for me. I had read the comments on trip advisor prior to arrival so I had realistic expectations. But for $1,000 per night there were too many issues, even though the lagoon suites are lovely and the employees are very friendly and accommodating. Negatives for me: Upon arrival we were basically given a hard sell by the realtor who spent fifteen minutes promoting the purchase of units at the resort, ocean is all rocks so almost impossible to enter safely, asked for an umbrella at beach and after 30 minute wait was told they would have to prepare one which would take another 30 minutes so I just moved to the other end of the beach, very expensive car service if eating off property, asked office for change of $20 for tipping and after 2 days still no change available, make-up mirrors are for very tall people- I'm 5'7 and too high for me. The food was good, but nothing special. Not much to do- loved the kayaks and swimming in the lagoon. If you want to be left alone then a good spot as guests do not socialize. Also no one at the bar whenever we stopped by so you get plenty of alone time.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Lynne S
GEAdmin, Manager at GoldenEye, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Lynne S,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, especially the areas of concern which you highlighted. We are terribly sorry that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us and we have already taken steps to remedy some of the points you mentioned. We do hope that you will return and allow us to make up for our shortcomings.

I would love to reach out to you directly and to get a few more details about how we could have made things better. Please feel free to email me on jenny.wood@goldeneye.com.

Warm Regards,

Jenny Wood

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We just had our wedding at Goldeneye and what a great decision it was. We dealt with Geraldine Ridley ("Gerry") and she did such an amazing job. We are from London so everything had to be organized from afar and across many timezones. We did not have a wedding planner so it was just Gerry and us. Gerry was responsive, insightful and innovative and put our minds at ease.

We actually first came to Goldeneye last September when we were choosing a location and were blown away by what we saw and experienced. Top drawer service coupled with a design and layout that make you feel like it is your own private resort. We chose to have the ceremony on the peninsula (a beautiful strip of rock that extends out into the ocean) with the reception near the Bizot bar which is one of the restaurants, also next to the ocean.

That was in September. When we arrived in March this year (after months of planning) we were met with unseasonal strong winds and even potential rain! This would have been a disaster had we stuck with the original plan but Gerry and Mark Collins were quick to come up with an alternative. I say it was an alternative and not a plan B because it was equally compelling.

The wedding went perfectly. The food was out of this world (we had done a tasting in September and the very few comments and suggestions we had were taken on board). Service was excellent and one of the staff even took it upon herself to be the master of ceremonies as we did not have one. Another seamless solution to a question that had not even been asked.

Some of our guests had young children and Goldeneye provided excellent babysitters for during the ceremony and the reception which was greatly appreciated.

From a pure resort perspective, Goldeneye has the connection to James Bond through the fact that Ian Flemming's villa is on the property and can be rented out if you like. We did not stay in it but had a look and it is just wonderful. The Bond connection distinguishes Goldeneye from any other resort on the island and they play that card very well. Enough to know you are engaging with cinematic history but subtle enough so as not to be overwhelming.

Food is superb, water sports are great and the villas are designed perfectly to take advantage of the ocean, the lagoon and the stunning natural environment. Add to this excellent privacy and you have a winning combination.

All of the staff were particularly helpful but a big thank you has to go to Geraldine Ridley for her tireless work in the lead up to the wedding and on the day without which our wedding would never have been the success it was.

Room Tip: Lagoon suites are quiet and more private but the beach villas have better access to the beach.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

This resort is truly beautiful, however, not without a few glitches. We have just got back from a trip, stayed in Lagoon Suite 10, which personally I think is one of the best placed suites as you get a great view of the little island in the lagoon, the spa and just round the corner you can hear the sea. We read most of the reviews before travelling and I'd say they are pretty accurate, I thought maybe some were a little negative regarding the noise, but as you'll see this was mainly justified.
What Goldeneye has got going for it is a beautiful location, great staff, really well decorated and styled suites all topped off with great food. A few negatives:
The noise is an issue for lagoon suites, I imagine it's not an issue at all for the beach suites. The night creatures can easily be blocked out, but the bar on a Friday and Saturday is incredibly loud until 2am. Thankfully someone had suggested ear plugs so I did take some with me and boy did I need them!
Housekeeping schedules are a bit of an issue, we didn't have great weather so were either in our room or on our porch a lot of the time and despite going for breakfast, lunch and dinner at either Bizot or the Gazebo they always managed to come to clean the room or turn down the beds when we were in the room, which did get a little irritating.
The lagoon suites have a private pontoon for sun bathing and the launch of your kayaks (which were really fun), however, ours didn't link to our suite so if you went for a swim you would have to get out onto the porch, walk through your room soaking wet, out of the door and over some little stones to get back to your sun lounger. This is a simple fix for the resort as they could easily join the porch steps and pontoon up with a little bridge way.
A few discrepancies in the dining, specials weren't offered everyday and we only found out about our daily complimentary drink on about day four!! They ran out of bananas and mint whilst we were there too!!
I can understand you might read this and think me a little picky, however, when they are selling themselves as an exclusive resort these are the things you'd expect to be perfect. We really had an amazing time and would go back for sure, mainly because we were so welcomed by each and every member of staff.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank JuliaGeorge_11
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 22, 2013

The property is beautiful. Loved lagoon suite 8.

Loved breakfast and lunch at Bizot Bar. Didn't particularly care for the food or ambiance at dinner in the Gazebo though. I wanted to be able to have dinner in a bikini and cover up if that's what I chose, but I didn't see anyone dressed like that at the Gazebo. It's not a dressy restaurant, but swimwear didn't seem appropriate. Dinner options at Bizot Bar would have been greatly appreciated.

There are lots of insect and animal noises at night, but they didn't keep me awake at all and I'm a light sleeper. I enjoyed hearing the sounds of nature as I fell asleep. One night there was a party outside of the resort with very loud music. I wasn't bothered by it though, and actually found it entertaining.

AMAZING staff :
Shareef - water sports. He was very patient while teaching me how to paddle board, encouraging and assisting me to swim in the lagoon, and in kayaking.

Dave - water sports. He was also my guide on the cycling trip to FireFly, which I highly recommend if you want to burn some calories, especially considering there is no fitness center at the resort. It's approximately a 1 hour and 15 minute trip, mostly uphill!

Tahera - THE BEST bartender. She went above and beyond when I mentioned that I had not enjoyed my dinner in the Gazebo one night. She personally called the chef to make sure dinner was cooked perfectly to my liking the following night.

Loreal - driver to and from the airport. I can't imagine a better person to have been sent to greet me at the airport. I wanted curry chicken on the way back to the airport after my trip was over, so she stopped at a wonderful restaurant on the way so I could pick up some.

Petrona - turn down service. Incredibly kind and pleasant. Did an excellent job.

Jennifer - housekeeper who cleaned the room every morning. Again, did an excellent job.

Duke - reservations. I had a couple of special requests prior to my arrival, and Duke made them happen.

In conclusion, I had a fantastic time at Golden Eye and I highly recommend it. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: If you want to hear waves, choose a beach villa, but the beach side of the resort was windy and cool...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank ToophDoctor
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Just back from a 2 stop stay in JA. Goldeneye was first stop and was totally amazing. The staff (Yulanda, guys & gals in the bar, Clayton, even Basil the beach/groundsman) make the place something more than a film set. Obviously stunning location - only fly in the ointment was the beach = I went in the water just once as it was very rocky (painfully so!). But the saltwater pool made up for lack of sea bathing. We stayed in Lagoon Suite 7 which was beatifully appointed and, apart from the first night when I almost stepped on a cockroach in the middle of the night (which was scary), was scrupulously cleaned. The call of the tree frogs and crickets and birds made us feel as though we were in paradise somewhere. The outdoor shower was a experience - felt a bit silly at first but eventually got used to it. The food at Goldeneye is simply the best quality I have ever had in an hotel - fresh, tasty and wonderfully cooked. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, we only had to ask for something, anything, and it arrived. Can't praise them enough. A return visit is already in the planning!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Angela G
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed February 6, 2013

It's hard to characterize this experience in real words. It was pretty much an guttural "Aaaaaah" experience the whole time. It felt like we were there forever. The place was just wonderful, and unlike any experience I had ever had. I'm usually wary of being isolated and being the receiver of service at the expense of the locals, but the staff made us feel right at home. The culture of hospitality there was totally unreal, as were the constantly breathtaking views.

Room Tip: Lagoon 7 was amazing. You literally wake up and jump in the crystal clear water. SUPER Quiet.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank JLittrell
Minnesota
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We were in Lagoon Suite 9 which was very nice. We swam and kayaked in the lagoon.
My husband and I got massages in the spa - fantastic!
Raheem in the water sports area was great, I enjoyed paddle boarding in the lagoon with him.
The only complaint we have is that we didn't get any sleep due to the "creatures" making noise all night long. Bring earplugs if you want to sleep!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank larsfamily
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oracabessa
Jamaica Inn
Sandals Royal Plantation
#3 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall

Been to GoldenEye? Share your experiences!