“Almost perfect”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Oracabessa
Kettering, United Kingdom
“Almost perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

This resort is truly beautiful, however, not without a few glitches. We have just got back from a trip, stayed in Lagoon Suite 10, which personally I think is one of the best placed suites as you get a great view of the little island in the lagoon, the spa and just round the corner you can hear the sea. We read most of the reviews before travelling and I'd say they are pretty accurate, I thought maybe some were a little negative regarding the noise, but as you'll see this was mainly justified.
What Goldeneye has got going for it is a beautiful location, great staff, really well decorated and styled suites all topped off with great food. A few negatives:
The noise is an issue for lagoon suites, I imagine it's not an issue at all for the beach suites. The night creatures can easily be blocked out, but the bar on a Friday and Saturday is incredibly loud until 2am. Thankfully someone had suggested ear plugs so I did take some with me and boy did I need them!
Housekeeping schedules are a bit of an issue, we didn't have great weather so were either in our room or on our porch a lot of the time and despite going for breakfast, lunch and dinner at either Bizot or the Gazebo they always managed to come to clean the room or turn down the beds when we were in the room, which did get a little irritating.
The lagoon suites have a private pontoon for sun bathing and the launch of your kayaks (which were really fun), however, ours didn't link to our suite so if you went for a swim you would have to get out onto the porch, walk through your room soaking wet, out of the door and over some little stones to get back to your sun lounger. This is a simple fix for the resort as they could easily join the porch steps and pontoon up with a little bridge way.
A few discrepancies in the dining, specials weren't offered everyday and we only found out about our daily complimentary drink on about day four!! They ran out of bananas and mint whilst we were there too!!
I can understand you might read this and think me a little picky, however, when they are selling themselves as an exclusive resort these are the things you'd expect to be perfect. We really had an amazing time and would go back for sure, mainly because we were so welcomed by each and every member of staff.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank JuliaGeorge_11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

The property is beautiful. Loved lagoon suite 8.

Loved breakfast and lunch at Bizot Bar. Didn't particularly care for the food or ambiance at dinner in the Gazebo though. I wanted to be able to have dinner in a bikini and cover up if that's what I chose, but I didn't see anyone dressed like that at the Gazebo. It's not a dressy restaurant, but swimwear didn't seem appropriate. Dinner options at Bizot Bar would have been greatly appreciated.

There are lots of insect and animal noises at night, but they didn't keep me awake at all and I'm a light sleeper. I enjoyed hearing the sounds of nature as I fell asleep. One night there was a party outside of the resort with very loud music. I wasn't bothered by it though, and actually found it entertaining.

AMAZING staff :
Shareef - water sports. He was very patient while teaching me how to paddle board, encouraging and assisting me to swim in the lagoon, and in kayaking.

Dave - water sports. He was also my guide on the cycling trip to FireFly, which I highly recommend if you want to burn some calories, especially considering there is no fitness center at the resort. It's approximately a 1 hour and 15 minute trip, mostly uphill!

Tahera - THE BEST bartender. She went above and beyond when I mentioned that I had not enjoyed my dinner in the Gazebo one night. She personally called the chef to make sure dinner was cooked perfectly to my liking the following night.

Loreal - driver to and from the airport. I can't imagine a better person to have been sent to greet me at the airport. I wanted curry chicken on the way back to the airport after my trip was over, so she stopped at a wonderful restaurant on the way so I could pick up some.

Petrona - turn down service. Incredibly kind and pleasant. Did an excellent job.

Jennifer - housekeeper who cleaned the room every morning. Again, did an excellent job.

Duke - reservations. I had a couple of special requests prior to my arrival, and Duke made them happen.

In conclusion, I had a fantastic time at Golden Eye and I highly recommend it. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: If you want to hear waves, choose a beach villa, but the beach side of the resort was windy and cool...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank ToophDoctor
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

Just back from a 2 stop stay in JA. Goldeneye was first stop and was totally amazing. The staff (Yulanda, guys & gals in the bar, Clayton, even Basil the beach/groundsman) make the place something more than a film set. Obviously stunning location - only fly in the ointment was the beach = I went in the water just once as it was very rocky (painfully so!). But the saltwater pool made up for lack of sea bathing. We stayed in Lagoon Suite 7 which was beatifully appointed and, apart from the first night when I almost stepped on a cockroach in the middle of the night (which was scary), was scrupulously cleaned. The call of the tree frogs and crickets and birds made us feel as though we were in paradise somewhere. The outdoor shower was a experience - felt a bit silly at first but eventually got used to it. The food at Goldeneye is simply the best quality I have ever had in an hotel - fresh, tasty and wonderfully cooked. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, we only had to ask for something, anything, and it arrived. Can't praise them enough. A return visit is already in the planning!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Angela G
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

It's hard to characterize this experience in real words. It was pretty much an guttural "Aaaaaah" experience the whole time. It felt like we were there forever. The place was just wonderful, and unlike any experience I had ever had. I'm usually wary of being isolated and being the receiver of service at the expense of the locals, but the staff made us feel right at home. The culture of hospitality there was totally unreal, as were the constantly breathtaking views.

Room Tip: Lagoon 7 was amazing. You literally wake up and jump in the crystal clear water. SUPER Quiet.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank JLittrell
Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

We were in Lagoon Suite 9 which was very nice. We swam and kayaked in the lagoon.
My husband and I got massages in the spa - fantastic!
Raheem in the water sports area was great, I enjoyed paddle boarding in the lagoon with him.
The only complaint we have is that we didn't get any sleep due to the "creatures" making noise all night long. Bring earplugs if you want to sleep!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank larsfamily
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Its hard to dispute the bigpain review below. This was one of four resorts we visited on this trip. We had a very nice time but this was a big spurge for us and our expectations were high.

1. Nice people on staff. They knew our names too.
2. Breakfast and Dinner were exceptional. The curry chicken was great but other lunch options were just okay. You can order as many breakfast items as you want and it was all included !
3. Too many rocks in the water at the beach. hard to find a spot to swim. We got snorkeling gear but there was nothing to see while snorkeling.
4. Definitely a romantic spot but, we were a bit bored. We walked the entire property in 15 mins. The cable TV and internet were excellent but we normally wouldn't be using them. I did get to read an entire paperback on the awesome lagoon deck.
5. Chris Blackwell was at dinner a few tables from us. That was really exciting. We were all over the island on this trip and everyone had nothing but glowing admiration for his contributions. His rum is absolutely dreamy. We took four bottles home.
6. My wife is an interior designer and we noticed some clunky design in the rooms. Our lagoon room was wonderful but had few surfaces other than a small desk area. Coffee maker was located in a cabinet at floor level. Must be 20 light/fan switches in the room. no soap/shampoo dish at the tub. Ladder to lagoon was not secure. no bottle opener or menu's in the room. the phone system was problematic. silly little things.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Paul-From-Philly
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great fun. Away from the maddeningly typical hotels of the world, the all-inclusive resorts, and the cruise ships. Getting better with new villas on beach and lagoon. Service is surprisingly good for Jamaica. Staff are helpful, well spoken, on it. Food is local flavors and served well. Beach (there is no good beach on the north of Jamaica) is quite decent, lagoon is nice for swimming and paddle boarding. This is not an American' branded experience in another location. It has space, grounds, thick trees, and a more authentic experience. Great tennis pro for hitting on the one court which is private and surrounded by flowering, climbing vines and trees. Odd quirks: only outside shower (singular) even for two bedroom villas, baths/ sinks are in the room, with a separate toilet area, but acoustically, it ain't separate. Fly into Ian Flemming "international" (if you're private) airport which is ten minutes from resort. Visit Noel Coward's home. Old time, colonial Jamaica.

Room Tip: did not try the spa. no fitness. while the ocean villas are very nice, the lagoon villas represent...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank tmalk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oracabessa
Jamaica Inn
Half Moon
#2 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,005 reviews
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island

Been to GoldenEye? Share your experiences!