“Elegance & Subtle Luxury”
Review of GoldenEye

GoldenEye
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Oracabessa
Reviewed March 16, 2012

My wife & I have stayed at several luxury resorts, and I have even worked at numerous others, but I have never before felt compelled to write a review. With Goldeneye however, we truly felt as if we experienced something unique.

As with anything else that is truly elegant, Goldeneye concentrates less on flashy amenity, and more on a subtle sense of luxury and comfort. I have honestly never experienced a place as tranquil, while at the same time, in an atmosphere of a vibrant island full of energy. The resort is small enough, that even though we were told it was full at least one night we were there, it felt as we were the only ones there.

Everything, from the villas, to the spa, to the restaurants, and even the beaches, feel as if they were all carefully designed to ensure they did not impact the natural tranquility of the environment. The villas are large and well appointed (the outdoor shower is something everyone should experience). The spa is honestly what every spa I have ever been to attempts to simulate. There is no need for spa music in the background, as nature provides the soundtrack. The restaurant serves locally sourced food that is fantastic. The lagoon is one of the true treasures of this property, as it is truly a serene playground right in your back yard.

The staff and service are incredible, and again with a sense of subtlety. There is no specific butler for each guest or villa, but that is because every member of the staff is empowered to handle whatever you ask. They also have the friendly presence of Jamaica, and even if you are only there for a day you will get to know them.

Finally, the history of this property is again elegantly presented. It is not in your face, but should you choose, you can learn about this history from Ian Fleming to Chris Blackwell, and if it is open, even ask to tour the Fleming Villa.

To sum it up, there are many resorts that can present beautiful beaches and a relaxing atmosphere, but this is the first we have found that places all of that in an authentic Jamaican package, abject of pretension, and wholly designed to be a true island getaway.

Room Tip: I would personally recommend a room on the lagoon side, as you get the serenity of the lagoon, but y...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Darren-and-Lisa

Reviewed March 15, 2012

My husband and I were recently immersed in the Goldeneye experience for five amazing days.

Goldeneye is peaceful, tranquil, friendly, fun filled, steeped in history and authentic Jamaican vibe,magical and musical, beautiful beyond belief with total respect for the environment.

The locally grown food is outstanding and the hospitable staff with their genuine warmth and caring make you feel like special family members.

We will always carry our Goldeneye experience in our hearts and hope to return one day

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Marilyn P
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Goldeneye Resort is not like other hotels or resorts.

It's quiet, with focus on details and giving their guests the best possible experience.
The entire resort is focus around the surrounding nature, so make sure to enjoy it.

I can especially recommend riding jetski here. It's not like jet skiing on many other resorts - here you get your own guide and can do small or long tours along the cost or even to Dunns River Waterfalls.

After many good experiences at Island Outpost resorts, we're going to try Caves in Negril another time.

Room Tip: The one-bedroom cottages are amazing. When presenting it, they call it 'you home away from home...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Maccke
Reviewed February 24, 2012

Goldeneye has much to offer in terms of creature comforts. The rooms are huge and nothing that resembles a typical hotel room. I stayed on the lagoon side and imagine the amenities are the same as the beach front rooms. The positives are ultra comfortable beds, the television quality, with tons of stations and music options. Also, large walk-in cedar closets, small frig, and super bath vanity lighting on dimmer (reostat) switches. The lagoon rooms also have large screened in porches directly on the water. The best feature of the rooms is the outside shower. Yes, I know, many places have these, but not like Goldeneye....these are truly well thought out and deliver big time on privacy and better yet, on workable hot and cold water supply. Add this to the quality of their private line of toiletries and you will find you spend much more time here than is necessary. I only wish you could purchase the toiletries, but for some unknown reason they don't sell them. I am a guy, traveling solo this trip, and these sort of things never really interest me, but these were over the top.
Another cool thing about this place are the two pools. The smaller one right on the Oceans edge was my favorite, as they installed small, quality speakers pumping out easy listening and casual roots reggae. No hip hop or dance hall vibe here, as it just wouldn't fit. Very comfortable loungers at both pools. Again, well thought out.
The food. Wow, where to start? Breakfast is not buffet and thank God for small favors. The menu is diverse and cooked to perfection. You like bacon? You receive plenty and that's the way it is with all the dishes. Each serving comes with scotch bonnet pepper oil on the side, if you can handle it. The dinner meal is the same. Better than my two Jamaican favorites, Toscanni and The Almond Tree, and that's saying a lot.
I really don't have any negatives to comment on. My only wish was that Jamaica had more of these type of Inns. They need more of these and less of the cookie cutter all inclusives. Yes, it is a little on the expensive side, but you probably wouldn't be reading this review if that was a major issue for you.Give this place a try. You won't be disappointed with anything. They go out out of their way to insure that!

Room Tip: Beach side rooms are more pricy, but it's all in what you prefer.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank negril66
Reviewed February 11, 2012

My husband and another couple had a fabulous stay at Goldeneye last week. I will try to highlight my stay...

After arriving in Montego Bay, we took a short flight to Oracabessa, which was a great way to get a birds eye view of Jamaica. From there, we took an 8 minute drive to Goldeneye, where we were shown around, given a cool towel,a drink and a warm smile!
We loved our 2 bedroom beach cottage, #21. It was the closest to the pool and Bizot Bar.
The service, even after a few flaws, went above and beyond to make us happy. Any small mistake was quickly handled and compensated for. I would highly recommend contacting Clayton when reserving your room and making travel plans. He will make sure that everything goes smoothly. He is not only an expert at his job, but loves Goldeneye and his guests. Also, request "Troy boy" as your waiter for dinner. He will take excellent care of you, suggest his favorite dishes and, if he sees you coming, will sprint ahead to secure you the best table available! Try the snapper...
This is a beautiful, unique place. We fully enjoyed the lagoon, with Dave and Dan taking good care of us at the water sports center. Try the stand up paddle board, swim to the spa, or simply float around on a soft foam raft of your own. The fishing trip the boys took was very well executed and the guides worked so hard, even though they didn't catch anything! We loved the spa, and the pre treatment foot soak.
A couple things to know-
There is not a shower in the upstairs bedroom-just a tub. The outdoor shower is off of the 1st floor bedroom.
The downstairs bedroom is only separated by a thick curtain that is pulled across to block out the living space. Consider that if privacy is a must for that bedroom...:)
We loved the historic aspect of the place, and loved wondering through the gardens, orchard(where we found the biggest lemons we have ever seen falling off of Martha Stewart's tree) and surrounding water view photo opportunities. A return trip is in the works!!

Room Tip: We much preferred the beach front suites. The lagoon suites seemed lovely, but who doesn't love...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank melissamce
Reviewed February 7, 2012

My husband and I spent a day at Goldeneye after winning a day pass for Animal House Jamaica's annual charity auction. Goldeneye is a little slice of heaven in Jamaica. The man that greeted us at the office and showed us around the grounds, was wonderful. He was truly nice and attentive to all of our needs and questions. Stopping in every so often to check on us and make sure our stay was going well.

After we were given the grand tour, my husband and I swam at the beach, swam to the island and sunbathed, and kayaked around the lagoon looking at the sea life below.

Lunch was FABULOUS. One of the best meals we have had in our 8 trips to Jamaica. The accompanying drinks were just as fabulous. Service was great and the people that work here are very nice and professional. After lunch, we snorkeled in the lagoon then kayaked in the sea. There are numerous coral reefs just outside the resort waiting for you to explore. Views of Ian Fleming's original home from the sea are spectacular. Seeing Fleming's original home a nice reminder of the history of this land.

After participating in some of the water sports offered, we went to the salt water pool. There are towels on every lounge chair, which are plentiful, so no need to carry your towel around all day. When getting out of the pool, an employee had already placed a terry cloth cover on the chair for when I got out. Superb service all the way around.

There are so many personal touches that happen at Goldeneye without the visitor noticing (if you're not paying attention). Goldeneye is a great place for relaxation, fun and rejuvenation. I have never been to a nicer place. I also found the resort to be VERY safe. We visited Goldeneye during a trip to Portland Parish where we were staying in a Jamaican neighborhood. It was nice to be able to relax and let our guard down at Goldeneye.

Goldeneye is a magical place.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank jamaicajeannie
Reviewed January 28, 2012

We recently returned from a 7 night break at Goldeneye. Our beach cabin was exceptionally well appointed and to be able to shower outside among the palm trees, banana plants and other tropical fauna was exihillarating. Breakfast at the Bizot Bar was good and dinner at the restaurant was enjoyable but by the fourth evening the menu had become a little tedious. Jenni the manager was charming and she must be very proud of her staff as the service was first class. Nothing was too much trouble and it was a pleasure to talk with them. I can highly recommend the resort.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank lmadams
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oracabessa
Jamaica Inn
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Hermosa Cove - Jamaica's Villa Hotel
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Round Hill Hotel & Villas

Been to GoldenEye? Share your experiences!