GoldenEye
Very Good 4/5
Average 3/5
Jamaica Inn(Ocho Rios)
Excellent 5/5
All reviewsjames bondgolden eyebizot barchris blackwelloutdoor showerlagoon cottagepaddle boardingour honeymoonwelcome cocktailfleming villacallaloowater sportsfresh coconutlong weekendspa treatmentsbeach hutmosquito net
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 15, 2012

I don't want to put anyone off by my experiences because the main issue was not the resorts fault. The "locals" were partying (just off property) until 3:30 AM one night and 2:30 the other. Apparently the law is that they must turn off their music at 2AM. That's awfully late in my opinion! Thankfully the management, after lots of complaining, made "adjustments" for the noise and loss of sleep. The management was a little slow when it came to addressing this and other issues.

Onto the highlights, the resort is secluded and beautiful. There is plenty to do while there for children and adults. Assuming you enjoy water sports like: kayaking, paddle boarding, snorkeling, etc...or just relaxing under a thatched umbrella looking out to a stunning view in all directions. There are terrific water sports guides who will teach you all you need to know. They take great care of everyone. They were tireless when it came to surfing lessons.

The staff is lovely and the food quite good. Breakfasts were delicious at the bizot bar with views to the pool and sea.

We stayed in Lagoon Suites which I thought were wonderful, we were able to jump off our own dock into the lagoon or take a morning kayak around the mangrove island. All necessary equipment is at your fingertips (life jackets, paddles, etc). However, the beach cottages may provide the sound buffer should the night music start.

One of our rooms had ants, cockroaches, A/C malfunction and no hot water...but what can you do for $1000/night

My family and I agree, once we had time to reflect on our trip (despite the noise which was attributed to both the holidays and election time) We liked this hotel for its relaxed vibe, natural beauty and friendly staff.

(oops one more thing, Mosquitoes are BAD, so be prepared)

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
18  Thank VerbierV
Reviewed January 7, 2012

My husband and I returned to Goldeneye to celebrate our anniversary where we had spent our Honeymoon in 2007. We had wonderful memories of our time there in Villa 2, Domino and Tiffany Case which opened to the sea and, at the time was 1 of only 4 Villas. We felt as if we were the only inhabitants of our own private island paradise.

Since that time, Goldeneye has undergone major changes but the sense of privacy remains. This time we stayed in one of the new Lagoon Suites that opened to a large deck that extends out over the calm water of the Lagoon. Each suite is outfitted with two sets of reclining chairs for relaxing outdoors, on the covered deck or in the sun, two kayaks for exploring the Lagoon, floating mats for relaxing in the water and a cozy table for dining on the deck where the staff will gladly set up your meals for you with candlelight! It was just as magical as we remembered. Goldeneye is truly a one of a kind island experience.

We received a warm welcome from the staff who greeted us by name as if we’d never left. With a cool, refreshing scented cloth for our face and an even more refreshing Goldeneye Cocktail in hand, in no time we were right back in the groove; the sense of relaxation took over immediately. As we strolled to our suite, we took in all the amazing changes that have taken place. The Beach Cottages and the Lagoon Suites are situated on what was before an empty beach surrounded by vegetation. Now there is a gorgeous infinity pool at one end next to the Bizot Bar which opens to the Ocean. Here, the food is local, organically grown, freshly prepared and creatively served for both breakfast and lunch. Dinner is served in the Gazebo which has been remodeled and expanded but still has the feel of being part of the original Goldeneye. They have added a library and a lounge area where you can peruse many historical books, photographs and local maps about the area and the time when it was owned by Ian Fleming.
Oh yes – I must mention that we LOVED the Radio Nova soundtrack to our vacation! It’s a favorite of ours now.

One can do as much or as little as you choose. We enjoyed walking the lush grounds, exploring and checking out the trees planted there by the many famous and not so famous guests throughout the years. If the Fleming Villa is unoccupied, the staff will happily open it for a tour which is a must see! I also loved kayaking and paddle-boarding around the Lagoon and paddling over to the Spa for my complimentary welcome massage. There are many options for tours, fishing and riding jet skis along the coast but if you choose to relax, there isn’t a more serene spot than the slice of paradise called Goldeneye.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RNRChicago_IL
Reviewed December 14, 2011

I was trying to think of this elaborate paragraph to describe my stay at Goldeneye and to be honest words can not describe my experience.

I can tell you that this place is Spectacular,Wonderful, Stunning, Ravishing, Grand, Incredible, Alluring, Charming,Divine!

My new home!

Room Tip: The lagoon villas is a must!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank damon d
Reviewed December 13, 2011

Amazingly beautiful getaway! Tucked away in the lagoon= the perfect relaxation destination. I jumped off our private deck within minutes of arriving....Simply put, Goldeneye is the dream vacation. Perfect for the traveler who seeks a beautiful romantic backdrop, totally private yet filled with fun filled activities, authentic Jamaican cuisine, and of course the unbeatable laid back vibe! I left kicking and screaming, asking my boyfriend if we could extend our stay... please could we extend or stay. I will be back 200%!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JCHESS
Reviewed November 2, 2011

Goldeneye was truly a paradise. There were so many little surprises that made the vacation special, and I will not ruin them for the next traveler. Half the fun is discovering the property and the customer service. We stayed in Villa 002, and it was beautiful. I believe the Villa could easily sleep 2 couples. There is a separate kitchen area which is great. After a couple of days, we went shopping for snacks and drinks so the kitchen came in handy. The Villa is broken into two parts, a main two story house and a detached second bedroom. The "master bedroom" is upstairs in the main house. The view from master was amazing. Every morning we could overlook the water and feel the warm breeze. The second bedroom has an outdoor shower which was amazing. There is also a nice hammock for lounging within the villa. But the weather was so nice, there was no time for lounging, the lagoon was the favorite hangout for my hubby and I! We can jump right into the lagoon from the backyard of the villa. The lagoon was a great temperature for October and very clear. I am not a particularly strong swimmer; however the water is shallow near the villas and you can get a life vest for the deeper parts.

The spa was good. We did the couples massage which was relaxing and soothing. I also did the manicure and pedicure. Both were great. The one CON is that the mani/pedi was pretty expensive. I paid about twice what I would have paid in the states and was a little put off by the cost. But I am on vacation so I let it ride. Next time I would pass...

The food and drinks at the restaurants were good. As many have said, try Jamaican. I am not particularly fond of jerk or curry foods, but the food at the restaurants were delicious! My favorite dish was the Parrot Fish.

The customer service and the care for each guest is what makes the property so wonderful. Between Darby explaining the history of Jamaica as he took us on excursions to Danny and the other lifeguard showing us on around the water and helping us on the kayaks, it was truly a great experience. I highly recommend this property!

I did want to point a few tips...

There are mosquitos. We survived, but bring protection and ask Dale to help out with spray. Also, everyone is really friendly and helpful, but we almost had a few..ahem...moments... as they walked into the villa to clean etc. While the food was great, if you want hamburgers or steak, order them more rare than you normally would. My medium seemed more like well done, so we ordered medium rare from that point forward which did the trick. Lastly, the property is really discreet and secluded which is really romantic but if you wanted a party scene count on paying a driver to take you to Ocho Rios for that type of scene. Other than that, the resort was a gem and we can't wait to return.

Room Tip: While I loved Villa 2, we did tour the property. The Lagoon Suites are beautiful and are some the least expensive. Also, the Beach Cottages will not disappoint.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple