Lowest prices for your stay
Get rewarded with One Key
verity1995
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Beautiful and tranquil island resort
5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Sep 2, 2017
My friends and I had a lovely stay here despite being a bit unfortunate with the weather. Craig was a great host. You can easily chill out and relax here, but there are also lots of things to do; Craig took us to see the plankton and waterfall. The resort is great value for money as there are free kayaks and snorkeling things, whilst the bar/restaurant is a nice area to chill and served really nice, good value food.
Date of stay: August 2017
Room Tip: Rooms furthest away from restaurant are quietest
Trip type: Traveled with friends
    $28
    $42
6.0 miles from Palm Beach Bungalow Resort
View more hotels in Koh Rong
All reviews mosquito net remote island beach bungalow hammocks badminton cambodia paradise koh fan bucket
Selected filters
Reviewed August 29, 2017

A perfect place for relaxing. I had a deluxe jungle bungalow on the slope which was about 5 mins walk from the reception, priced at 35$ per night with a beautiful view of the sunrise, comfy bed, only cold shower. The flat screen tv and the air-con I saw from the photo are not working. The food is pretty good, not pricy which is the only restaurant at that remote part of island. Be prepared for a slow 2 hour boat ride and probably a rough journey at times. Craig and his Cambodian staffs are friendly and helpful. It’s an easy trail walk about 20 mins to the fishing village.

The only set-back is the dock to board the boat. Trash and stench-filled dock that doesn’t make tourist feel good before heading to the island.

Room tip: the deluxe jungle bungalow
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed August 27, 2017

My wife and I had a fantastic stay at Palm Beach. We could not fault anything. From the Restaurant, to the view from our Bungalow, the red wine while watching the sea, the clean beach, smiling staff (excellent front of house service), fluorescent plankton at night, ... I could go for hours but will let you discover by yourself ! Highly recommended venue in Koh Rong, We were staying in a different location on the main beach of Koh Rong and we did not like it at all. Palm Beach had us satisfied for the rest of our stay !

Room tip: pay a little extra and get a sea front room, they are really worth it
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2017

Other reviews had indicated that that the accommodations were "rustic," but the bungalow we stayed in was perched over a "pond" of ratty water, far from the beach, and was open to insects and night critters -- You are more protected from the outside in a TENT than you are in these bungalows. I don't mind insects (there was a mosquito net), but the fan on the wall kept turning off in the middle of the night, and I'd wake in a sweat. I had imagined beach breezes -- but there were no breezes on this "beach" -- which was basically still, shallow water with rocks along the shore. Don't expect to actually SWIM on this rocky beach.

I think if you are a young backpacker you'll love this place; all the young backpackers we met did like it. If you are NOT a young back packer, you should probably avoid this "resort." You are stuck on this one piece of the island. I asked about a boat to another beach and was told it was "really expensive" and I asked how expensive and was told "$80." That couldn't possibly be true. I know there must've been a way to get a boat to the other side of the island, but we were too tired to try to figure it out, and tried to use our days there to sleep and rest up for the rest of our trip. Since you are stuck on a remote part of the island, the only food option is the resort's restaurant. Food was good enough, but we quickly got tired of the menu (we were there 3 nights).

Here's the thing: to get to this island you have to take their boat. This requires being shuttled to this dock that is absolutely the most polluted, trash-filled dock I've ever seen. We had to sit there 2 hours because the boat was broken, and I walked around in horror looking at the trash-filled, stench-filled shoreline. After seeing this, I didn't really care to be shuttled 2 hours away from this filth. You can't stop trash like that from floating to Koh Rong, and it seems the owner of this resort should do his part in paying for trash clean up at the dock where his guests will sit in horror. I know Cambodia has a trash problem, and after seeing this dock, I'm pretty sure Koh Rong and other islands off shore will be innundated with this trash in years to come. I did see cans and plastic bottles in the water on the beach bungalows. After seeing the dock, I really didn't feel very good about spending any time in the water.

Craig is a great guy, as is Meriah (sp). They made the visit worthwhile -- esp Craig's trips to the village and waterfalls. Without Craig, we would've been much more disappointed in the resort, because there's not much to do -- since swimming is out of the question and snorkeling is bad/non existent. So shout out to Craig who deserves a raise, no matter what he's making, for entertaining the guests.

Seeing the abandoned pool on the property also added to the sense that this resort is just barely holding on and the owners are not really interested in developing it to make it more visitor friendly. A pool would be a great addition to this place, since the beach is so unusable. (Pretty, but rocky and occasional floating trash).

So the 3 starts is totally the result of Craig, Meriah and the sweet wait staff at the restaurant. Thanks to these folks for making our stay much better!

Room tip: The bungalows are further from the beach than pictured.
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2017

I recommend it.
This is the perfect place to come relax on a private beach while not paying the big bucks. We had a deluxe jungle bungalow which was quite nice (35$ per night), with a beautiful view of the sunrise. Comfy bed, nice lounging chairs.
The food is not too pricy, and pretty good, while not fantastic, and the portions are generous. Vegetarian options are limited. The drinks are on the pricy side for Cambodia.
Unfortunately, the place is half abandoned, with a shut-down pool and 2nd restaurant.
The beach is fairly nice, but rocky and has many sandflies.
The tours they offer are nice.
Then there is the expensive boat service ($25 per person) that you need to book with them, and the fact that you are pretty much isolated on the north section of the island.

Room tip: The deluxe jungle bungalows are worth it.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2017 via mobile

I stayed for three nights at Palm Beach. It was so relaxing. You can stay on the beach in front of the bungalows or you can walk farther along the shore to a secluded part of the beach. The staff was the friendliest staff I have ever had and the food was so delicious. It's a great place to chill out and just relax.

Trip type: Traveled solo