Palm Beach Bungalow Resort
  • Breakfast included
$893
$863
  • Breakfast included
Long Set Resort(Koh Rong)
$72
  • Pool
$45
$11
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
Queenco Hotel & Casino(Sihanoukville)
$87
$81
Agoda.com
$84
$62
TripAdvisor
All reviewshoneymoon suitewelcome drinkfree kayaksbarracuda steakno hot waterstayed here for nightsother guestshour boat ridebar restaurantsand fliessea urchinsfishing villageroyal pierflushing toiletsmosquito netbioluminescent planktondesert island
Reviewed December 7, 2013

After a terrifying, two-and-one-half-hour boat ride from the mainland, you'll arrive at the Palm Beach Bungalow "Resort" to step onto a narrow, rickety dock where you'll be greeted by Beast, a chain smoking Estonian draft dodger who has found refuge in this remote corner of the world. Beast mans the bar and tends to buisness at Palm Beach, such that it is. The bungalows are rustic and spartan, bordering on scary. We stepped inside our room and were greeted by two geckos locked in a death struggle. A swat with a brook broke up the kerfuffle, sending the reptiles scampering up the wall. They returned in the middle of the night to bark us awake. The bar-restaurant has some cheap food and drink, which is about the best thing you can say about it. A stone's throw from the beach is a fancy, $1,200-a-night resort that really makes you feel like a loser for being at the Palm Beach Resort. If you're a backpacker on a tight budget, this might be your place. Otherwise, it's not for the faint of heart.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank mvdljca
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I stayed here with a friend for 3 nights recently and had a really blissful time after chaotic travelling about. If you are looking for a chilled out place with friendly and helpful management staff away from the crowds of gap year students this is the place to go. Whilst here we trekked to the stunning 7km beach which was one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. Other highlights were the yummy BBQ and resident geckos in our bungalow. Kevin, Beast and Rick were very helpful and great to chat with. The cape velvet cocktail will be coming back to London this Xmas!!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Suelyn84
Reviewed November 24, 2013

If you really want to get away from it all and relax in a basic island resort this is the perfect place. The bungalows are basic but you don't need anything else when you are just there to chill out. The beach is good and the hammocks are great for relaxing in and reading a good book.
Kevin the owner and Beast are great guys and do a great job ensuring you are looked after during your stay. The food is basic but very good and cheap as are the drinks.
We possibly should of had more of a look around the island but after 3 weeks travelling which included 11 days cycling it was good to just relax.
If you want all the mod cons this is not the place for you but if you are happy with the basics and just want to chill somewhere quiet then I would give the Palm Beach Bungalow Resort a go.

Room Tip: The Bungalows closest to the Beach are the best
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kermy02
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Following a two week bike trip with our friends this was the best place to relax at. Kevin and his staff looked after us. Great service all round. Bungalow has the basics and a hammock which is great to relax in. Picked up from our hotel and taken to the boat. Unfortunately Kevin has a had job changing the ways if the Cambodian people. It's in their interest as he has the skills to teach. His staff do a great job. Keep it up .

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheresaSa
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I'm not really sure how I feel about these bungalows; a bit of a 'love it hate it' experience for me and my fiance. I'd like to share are our pros and cons so you can make up your own mind:

Pros:
- As most people have mentioned, it's secluded; which is great - we had the whole place to ourselves which was perfect as we wanted to get away from it all
- Kevin and Beast are excellent hosts - really friendly owner and manager who go out of their way to help
- Some really cool daytrips 1) hike to the 7km beach and have the whole place to yourself; that side of the island was lovely 2) Kayak down the mangroves river past all the houses and villages - be careful of the giant water buffalo; they are huge! with big horns! There's a little restauarant in the village run by the local ladyboy that you can stop off at on the way home
- The food in the restaurant is great. Although the menu is rather limited.

Cons
- The rubbish. The whole of Koh Rong is coated in rubbish bought in by the sea. It's really sad - kind of ruined the experience of being on a desert island for me as I was never more than a metre away froma washed up plastic bottle
- The price. I'm not sure if this is the going rate nowadays but $35 a night (not inc. breakfast) seems pricey for a beach shack. When I was backpacking (ok so this was a decade ago) the equivalent was $2 a night - have prices really gone up that much?
- The bungalows. The downside of the beach shacks is that they are beach shacks - mildewy-smelling pillows, pretty old mossie nets coated in insect poo (who even knew insects pooed?), no hot water, electricity only for a few hrs a night etc basically basic basic basic. I thought I could cope with that, turns out I can't (anymore)
- The insects. At the end of rainy season beware of the mossies. In the 4 days we were on the island, I got eaten alive (even through DEET). Lots of time to count mossie bites in the beach shack - I had 88 by the time I left. Really horrid; no escaping them. I hear there are also sand flies but we didn't have a problem with them.

We spent 4 nights in the resort - that was more than enough. I loved the experience but by the end I was literally like 'get me out of here'. We came back and went straight to the Sokha beach for some 5* comfort. Got a really good deal there ($99 a night with brekkie).

I'm glad I went to palm beach - it was a good experience and I loved our day trips but I really really loved coming back to some air-con, hot showers and pool action after it!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple