“Never went diving but received lots of help from the dive centre”

Koh Rong Dive Center
Ranked #4 of 13 things to do in Koh Rong
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Koh Rong Dive Center, opened at the beginning of 2012, offering a range of Padi courses, from Open Water Diver to Dive Master. Our center is Khmer run we employ local staff and qualified professional Padi Instructors/Dive Masters from around the world. The main purpose of the dive center is to offer great customer service to all divers certified or not. We also have a major interest of the development of the island, running as an Eco-Friendly Center and also supporting the local islanders. The center employs local village staff giving them the opportunity to train in diving at no cost to them.
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Firstly I got stung by some fire coral whilst snorkelling and the tree house bungalows called for the dive master..he quickly came down and had a look at the sting informed me what it was and how to treat it.

Secondly I got bitten by a bug and my leg swelled up so I went again to the dive centre for some first aid. All the staff there were really friendly.

Much appreciated

Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

My 14-year-old and 12-year-old sons got certified here, their instructor was Nathan and you couldn't a better instructor for kids. He was fantastic, I took a refresher course with Karen, who was also fantastic. A really great time was had by all on both of our dive trips and all of the dive staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. I highly recommend Koh Rong Dive Center!

Reviewed July 4, 2013

We did our Open Water course there, the guys were super friendly and competent. When we were not feeling well we could simply push the course for one day. Equipment was excellent and the diving instructor was very knowledgable and competent. Very nice guys! Diving is not excellent to be honest, since the visibility is not too high, but very good to learn how to dive! Highly recommendable!

2  Thank Charlotte P
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This company seems to have a very comprehensive network of places throughout Sihanoukville where you can book so it would be easy to fall for it when one is looking for a quick scuba-diving trip as I did at the time.

The pick up at one of the shops was late and initially they put us in the back of a truck with our bags. Quickly this truck was full and there was hardly any room in it. Not a major deal if you are going for a quick trip to the wharf, but this wasn't the case, they drove us around Sihanoukville for the best part of 30' until being transferred onto a dodgy looking bus without any kind of convenience (read no Air Con in a country where the average temperature is in the mid to high 30's, tattered seats, no room for the bags so they all got piled at the front once everyone was on board, incidentally blocking the main emergency exit the bus had). The guy with a crew-cut and Man U t-shirt who seemed to be in charge of this part of the operation was extremely rude to people to put it mildly.

The 2 hour ferry ride to Koh Rong island was OK but the boat/ferry itself was a rickety little thing that had seen better days (I'm guessing some 30 years ago...) and while I wasn't afraid for my life as such, I wouldn't be surprised if other people with less experience in the water would feel the same. That boat looked like it could have sunk any minute....

The experience in the island itself was nothing to write home about but I do understand that the place itself is rather basic, so one should keep expectations in check.

The dive itself, was OK but far from great. The only thing saving the experience is the dive masters which I presume are mostly backpackers who went to Cambodia, decided to do their scuba-diving training there because it is cheap and liked it so they decided to stay a bit longer and get all their certifications. I don't know for a fact but I would hazard a guess that this company employs these guys on very basic pay (if any at all) in exchange for accommodation and a couple of meals a day and the gear they need to do their diving. After a few months of this -for some- idyllic life, these backpackers carry on with their travels having dived in the Gulf of Thailand to their heart's content. Win-win equation, right?

One exception was one of the older dive master (who seemed to be in charge of the younger backpacker ones) who was sleazing over every girl on the boat, including the ones under his supervision. Sad spectacle to see really....

All in all, I couldn't wait to go back to the mainland and part ways with this company and the shoddy services they provide.

5  Thank Wilster737
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Okay, disclaimer first: I had never dived prior to arriving on Koh Rong, so I can't speak to how the dive sites compare to Thailand/Philippines/etc.

Second disclaimer: Life on Koh Rong is pretty minimal/basic. Most guest houses have shared bathrooms, fans (but no A/C), mozzie nets, and only have electricity from around 5pm - 11pm when the generators are running. If you don't like roughing it, this island will be very challenging for you. If you don't mind roughing it, it is paradise.

My experience here was absolutely fantastic. After arriving on the island, I immediately decided I would be staying for a few days longer than I had planned. Having never SCUBA dived before, I went to the dive center to get some information and ended up signing up for an Open Water course. My instructor, Momo, was a great guy and excellent instructor who took care of his students. The rest of the Dive Center staff were friendly, outgoing, and engaging. This is an island where everyone is doing what they love, and you see nothing but big smiles from sun rise to sunset.

I ended up staying even longer to do my Advanced Open Water with Jorge, who was also fantastic. Many of the people you meet living on Koh Rong came out with the intention of staying a few days and end up staying for weeks or months. It's that kind of place, with a sense of community that is often hard to find traveling.

If you're thinking of trying diving and thinking of going to Koh Rong, DO IT. DO IT NOW. And leave yourself a few days more than you expect to stay--you'll get sucked in to island life.