“Came for three nights, stayed eleven.”
Review of Paradise Bungalows

Paradise Bungalows
San Francisco, California
“Came for three nights, stayed eleven.”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We were there in January 2013. We were not sure we would like the island (and were concerned about sandflies ) so we had reserved at Paradise for three nights. We actually stayed 11 nights.
The bungalows are basic and rustic, and could use a little more attention here and there but we did not mind, it is part of the charm and is expected when it comes to staying on the islands.
They started rationing water by the end of our stay.
The restaurant is nice and the food is good and varied. Available filtered water is welcome.
The staff was fine.
The sandflies, on the beach, were not as bad as feared.
We had a good and simple time there and would come back.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Stechaphil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed May 19, 2013

First of all I will say that I really enjoyed the stay at Paradise bungalows. The bungalows are simple which adds to the charm of the place but don't stay here if you are looking for fluffy towels and hot running water with complimentary shampoos etc...

We stayed in Mountain 1 over Easter 2013 and eventhough the bungalow is on a hillside the views of the beach and sea were incredible. The price was $45 per night (I think) and as this island is relatively undeveloped compared to other SE Asian islands I think it was well worth the price.

The service in the restaurant and in general was pretty good. Not amazing but Kate was helpful and polite. The Khmer staff did their best to serve quickly and efficiently but I think the food was a little diappointing as the Khmer choices were very limited. Monkey Island next door has some nice dishes but this also caters for the western palate.

I have 1 big complaint about Paradise bungalows which I would like to mention. This wouldn't stop me from ever returning but I really do think it is something guests should be aware of and the management should take heed. When we arrived at 10am the manager (Rudy I think his name is ) was lounging around with some of the guests. I think these were his friends as they were pretty friendly with one another. One guy was even sleeping on a seating area bench and it looked like he'd been there all night. Rudy and one of his 'guests' were openly smoking dope in the restaurant. The smell of it was quite intense. Now I'm not a prude and have indulged in a little of the SMJ myself but there were children sitting in the seating area next to him. I really think this gives a really bad image of the place. Apart from the fact that some of the guests may have felt uncomfortable (I didn't hear any complaints) the main thing is that it is illegal in Cambodia so indulging openly in front of arriving guests is unprofessional and inappropriate.

Rant over...I would come here again and would recommend the place. Just bear in mind that it is basic and you may have guests in your room during the night. Furry guests I mean.

Room Tip: Mountainside bungalows have really nice views and are cheaper than those on the beachfront.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bandybadger
Kihei, Hawaii
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Let's be straight you shouldn't even be on Koh Rong if you have to travel with a suitcase. However once your past that it's a beautiful island and Paradise Bungalows is the only place to stay. Certainly nicer than your other options. This place also has an amazing lounge/restaurant that is a great place to hang out. The owner has spent a lot of time teaching his staff to cook and their menu has quite a variety to it. Food is great and prices seem almost too cheap. If you're going to the island this is the place to stay.
Aloha from Maui

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank roy d
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I gave this a 4 star rating simply because I think it is above average in terms of location, lodging, and food compared to other nearby properties that I saw. But compared to other islands with more options, it might warrant a 3. My husband and I stayed for a few nights over the New Year and paid $65 for a beachfront last minute reservation as we wanted to get out of our home base in Phnom Penh. If isolation is what you are looking for, then you will find it here. Perfect place to chill out and relax without the chaos that Sihanoukville offers. Considering the very simple accommodation I would say that $65 is a bit much, however, it was right on the water so we could enjoy the view and walk a couple of feet when needing to cool off. The restaurant offers good food options with lots of Western dishes and the staff tried their hardest to accommodate the busy crowd in the evening. They weren't out of their way friendly, but I don't think they were rude as some have experienced. We rented snorkeling equipment there for about $5 I think and the rocks offered good fish sightings, although it can get choppy and windy. Be aware that when I say simple accommodation, I mean simple. The room had a bed and that's pretty much it. We spent most of our time on the deck lounging around or in the water. Overall I would recommend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jessica L
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This island is stunning, the bungalows are comfortable and the restaurant/bar at Paradise is generally great. There were three gorgeous dogs to play with.

There was very little running water in the rooms (it was dry season, so only a couple of hours a day) and no electricity during the day. The mosquito nets had holes in them, so i got bitten a lot at night. But these things are standard for beach huts on newly developed islands.

The real issues were the noise, and the terrible service. When we arrived the manager must have been away, because the staff were absolutely appalling! They were rude and inattentive, just sitting around, playing noisy Khmer pop on their phones/devices and acting annoyed when you asked for anything. Worst of all, they played the loudest and most hideous music imaginable at an incredibly loud volume late into the night. Staff favorites appeared to include "Barbie Girl" and "Gangnam Style". Breakfast music was a pretty unappealing soundtrack of techno and Khmer pop (staff seemed to be competing to see who's device could do the best job of drowning out the sound system).

As soon as the owner came back, the soundtrack changed to dreamy classical music over breakfast and the most gorgeous soul/blues at night (not too loud; not too late). And the service improved.

I'd recommend Paradise; just hope the manager is there when you arrive!

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the beach. The 'mountain bungalows' are pretty far from the beach and...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank RubyTuesdayAsia
Bulletproofkate, Bookings at Paradise Bungalows, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Wow! This is a big surprise to us, but a very helpful review! Thank-you for letting us know. We will certainly make sure this does not happen again.
Sabie, South Africa
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed in one of their luxury sea front bungalows...amazing! We were just a few steps from the ocean in a beautiful bungalow with a great balcony and hammock. There is also a great, comfortable restaurant with tasty food for all meals. It is far enough away from the other bars/restaurants to be peaceful but an easy walk to reach the ferry piers and dive shops. An idyllic beach holiday in a beautiful setting!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kate B
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed April 28, 2013

The island and the accommodations are rustic and stunningly beautiful. The sand is white and the sea is turquoise. We stayed in a bungalow just a few paces from the sea. Combine the setting with a friendly staff, good food and scuba diving options a few meters away, and you've got a recipe for a fabulous vacation!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family