“Not Quite What It Might Be!”

and 1 more site!
Marton Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Marton
St.Andrews
“Not Quite What It Might Be!”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

So, I'll begin with what The Marton is Getting Right: It seems to be well supported by locals.
They they have a terrific programme of entertainment and social gatherings which, probably, attract others from further away; and their Christmas List is outstanding, with a Pantomime on 23rd December!
It's a large building, standing in a good position in the "posh" part of Marton but..,but.., but.. this is where I start to get critical.The architecture doesn't quite "hit the mark", being not quite opulent enough-and tired-looking-at that.
To be perfectly honest, I didn't stay, so can't vouch for the rooms (which were reasonably priced) and I guess it's popular for weddings, given its size.
My impression was that it could be So Much More, with some imaginative additions around its exterior, and richer colours inside.
As to the staff, mixed reactions here. A couple I encountered were rather tardy in their responses, being engaged in private conversations, and lacking social skills; while others were very helpful.
As to the food, well I have no complaints, and the restaurant was very busy (which is a compliment in itself) so all is subjective!
When you look at some of the wonderfully designed buildings in the nearby Middlesbrough city centre there's a sense of disappointment that this hotel didn't emulate their example. I don't know when it was built, but I do know that our architectural heritage wasn't particularly well-served in some decades. And, let's face it, not everybody is going to be on the same page in these matters.
It's SO important, however, to get the welcome right, whatever the reason one is calling by, I wouldn't be saying these things unless I hadn't felt The Marton has a Good Heart. It just needs more cherishing.

Room Tip: Read the reviews of those who have stayed here.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Busybee888

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Harrogate
Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

My Mum says; "If you can't say anything nice, say nothing at all." I always try to give positive reviews as you can see from my posts on TripAdvisor. I've only given one bad review. This, unfortunately, is going to be the second.

Country Club conjures up all sorts of images, none which will match the Marton Hotel and Country Club!

I try to avoid judging aging decor and look for the cleanliness instead but it's hard to avoid the conclusion that this place needs knocking down rather than refurbishment. It's falling to bits.

Take the bathroom ad an example. It said the room had a bath. It does, but just a bath. The fittings are on the wall for a shower but someone has removed it. Don't overfill the bath in room 136 as someone has disconnected the overflow and as you lie down the bath water decanted onto the floor!

I struggled to find any positives but have concluded that they are limited to the friendly staff, particularly the night porter, the lashings of hot water coming from the taps and clean sheets. There really isn't anything else.

Walls are paper thin. I could join in the conversation with my adjoining room occupants. The flooring in the halls creaks as if about to dump you back to the ground floor and making it seem like herds of wildebeest are regularly making there way past your door.

I'll have to go now. Room 134 are having Sunday morning exercise to work off their excess calories.

Avoid unless you're completely desperate. You have been warned.

PS No idea how anyone can mark this as excellent. They must have stayed somewhere else. I was being kind with two stars

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank steveharriss
Long Sutton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2014

do not book this hotel it was awful we left early checked out very dirty all ways dirty nappy outside our room bed spring come through mattress pillows smelt very dirty on arrival not welcoming staff lazy not helpful never been in such a horrible place we complained to Nick manager he offered us a discount on next stay what a joke will never book here again we had to check out drive 3 hours home

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nikki K
nick1975, Public Relations Manager at Marton Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
This review needed a response as very untrue. You were allowed to check in early, used the facilities to get ready for a wedding elsewhere, then returned several hours later and decided to check out without mentioning any of these issues. This room 105 is not dirty at all. We are sorry about the nappy which was on an outside roof section and is now removed
Middlesbrough
Reviewed June 11, 2014

My husband and I held our wedding day here on the 12th April... All preparations leading up the day were second to none... Rita had everything in hand... Very helpful... Always on the other end of the phone to check everything was ok.. On the day of the wedding I went to the hotel on the morning to help set up, Anne was there when we arrived and had already started making a start on the room, she was well organised and had a keen eye for detail, everything was just as I wanted it. The lady on reception was also lovely and very helpful, unsure of her name... But if I mention "don't pinch sammy the snake" I'm sure she will understand who I am.. Haha...! The full day went with out a single hiccup... All down to the well organised caring staff... Food was exceptional !! Hot, fresh... All out guests commented on the high standard of food that was provided...Very happy with bridal suite, breakfast was hot and plenty there. I would highly recommend this hotel as a wedding venue to any bride and groom... Overall... Excellent service... Exceptional staff and brilliant value for money.
Thankyou to all involved for making out wedding day the best day of our lives and we will never forget all that you did for us!
Helen and Dan Bell x

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Mrshelenbell
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Stayed here for one night, would not stay again. They Made us pay before we saw the room, I can see why, get there money before you see what your in for.

The place is flaking at the seems, the room is ok and relatively clean on the surface. MUST CHECK PILLOWS took off the pillow case to find brown stains and one had blood on it. Complained and got them changed within 5 mins. Food ok,

Brother & his wife also stayed as we where attending a wedding in the area. He had a dirty nappy outside the window. They left the wedding reception early to make the 3 hour journey home rather than stay at that hotel, even after they had paid for room. We did stay as we new we had nice clean new pillows.

Go if you have to, ok for a base. If you want to a hotel to relax in and enjoy the surroundings do not go to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated new room, not an old one
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Marie P
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Stayed here on a business trip as a last resort. When you walk through the door it's like being transported back to the 70's! The first room we were shown to had a bumble bee in residence,so we were given another room. The rooms are in desperate need of redecoration but they we're clean. This is not the place for a romantic sojourn, but the staff were friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Tracku2
Middlesbrough
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Had our wedding reception in the ball room, Rita and all the staff were amazing and couldn't do enough for us. Service was brilliant. The food was lovely and every guest commented on how lovely and warm the food was. We had over 110 guests and everyone said how amazing the ball room looked, the staff were very helpful and the food was lovely.
We would recommend having a wedding reception here, having a meal in restaurant seeing as the food was so nice. Rita and the staff were on hand throughout the day, organising timings and our day was perfect which we feel was down to them and there hard work. Thank you

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Newbride2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marton
Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge
Premier Inn Middlesbrough Central South Hotel
Travelodge Middlesbrough
Travelodge Middlesbrough
#3 of 11 in Middlesbrough

Been to Marton Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!