“you need to book a refurbished room”

Marton Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Marton
manchester
“you need to book a refurbished room”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

the 1st night i stayed in a smelly smoke riden room but it did only cost £35 for the room. the next night i stayed was a refurbished room. what a change. the room wa so much better. you need to ask for the refurbished room but you pay extra. the best thing in this hotel is the food. alex is the chef. what a good guy he is !!!!
home made chips 1 wha a surprise. it all depens on what you want out of a hotel.
i would go back again and again just to have alex*s food.

Room Tip: pay for a refurbished room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank joopManchester

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

My partner and I stayed at this hotel. Where it was outdated. We stayed overnight. It was disgusting and dirty. The bed was hard and uncomfortable. Already mentioned that our room was terrible. We did not have a wardrobe as such. Kettle was boiled in this so called wardrobe. Did not want to drink out of the cups. Tv old fashioned. Curtains dirty. Carpet dirty. My partners bed side lamp did not work and broken light bulb in the drawer. Hello health and safety was an issue here. The blanket that l put on the bed as it was very cold. Was prickly. Could not sleep because the curtains was so thin you could see the street lights. Our room faced the pub across the road. The bathroom light did not work. Hardly any toilet paper. The shower curtain had hardly any rings on it. Not as though we had a shower. It was a laugh really for the price. We were facing the A172 facing the Rudds Arms. The breakfast was good. We had to stay the night to get breakfast. And my partner works for Nifco. Tried to book again and they offered us an unfurnished room oh and it was a smokers room. Hello do not smoke. It would be a bit smelly for me. Decided that we would not stay here again. People out there dont do it.

Room Tip: One that is refurbished. Also where it is not above the function room
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
nick1975, Public Relations Manager at Marton Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
I am surprised that things were so bad, that you tried to book again for this year. We are working hard to refurbish more bedrooms as we go and feel we offer a very reasonable price for both older and newer style bedrooms and include a full English breakfast. The Christmas party you attended must have been far more happy as they have booked again with us this year for a very large number of people.

Travelers are raving about these Marton hotels

Dunkeld, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

Was in Middlesbrough for business. £35 per night seemed too good to be true. It was. The hotel hasn't been deep cleaned since the early seventies. As a guy travelling alone, my tolerance for squaller is pretty high but I wasn't prepared for this level of uncleanliness. The whole place smells unclean. The carpets are filthy throughout. The bath was in a very poor state. No shower. Water from the sink/bath was opaque white. I woke with a bug bite on my lip and am certain it was from the bed. It's taught me a lesson - you get what you pay for. Oh, and the wifi didn't work in my room. The staff were nice enough, but their spirit is broken. I'd honestly rather sleep in my car. The fact the price list at reception offers a 'bridal suite' is nothing short of tragic. AVOID

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Dave T
I think this review is not factual and unfair. Some of the older rooms are old in decoration etc but nothing is unclean, I think you may be confusing old with dirty. You will be pleased to know we now have more refurbished rooms than older style and will be continuing to refurbish the bedrooms in due course. As for staff, you will notice from other reviews that our staff are very pleasant and I would not agree with your statement what so ever, we have numerous staff that have been with the hotel for many many years, so I doubt that 'broken' staff would stay for so long.
Leeds
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

We had an okay stay at the Marton Hotel and Country club which was organised by Nirvana Europe for the Great North Run.

The hotel is just... bizarre. It seems to be stuck in a time gone by, from the rooms in need of a refurb to the picture of the Queen in the restaurant (even that's from about 1955). The layout is perculiar, the restaurant is a room within a room, the bar seems to go on forever, our room seemed to have so much wasted space.

We had one of the older double rooms which was the cheapest at £70 but certainly wasn't worth this. Our friend had a large family room (£100) which had been refurbished and looked decent with new "designer" wallpaper and large flatscreen TV and bath which were the only real differences to our room. It was very spacious though he complained of not being able to sleep due to noise from the function room below. As mentioned we booked through Nirvana as we didn't have a clue about where to stay and couldn't get where we wanted. I would hope that they inflated the price to take advantage of folk like us and that if you booked direct with the hotel you'd get it a lot cheaper. On a plus note though the transfer for the GNR was great and the hotel put on an early cooked breakfast for participants.

Staff were pleasant enough but I'm struggling for other good points. Being a country club I had quite high hopes which probably didn't help.The place wasn't dirty, it was just old ie.new sealent needed in bathroom, squeaky floorboards. It does seem to cater mainly for functions which I can't comment on.

Room Tip: One night is enough here. Staying longer? Look elsewhere.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Aw_Cb
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed overnight at this hotel, the weekend of October 13th 2012, and have nothing but praise for it. We stayed in a family room sleeping 4, and it had 2 bedrooms which were both ensuite, and the rooms were very generously sized!
It enabled us to shut the door where the kids were, but still know they were safe.
The bed was comfortable, the pillows were the comfiest we'd ever had, and the whole place was spotlessly clean.Also to add to this, the noise level as very low (we think due to good insulation) as there were lots of people staying here.
The breakfast was a help yourself buffet, which in itself had a very extensive choice, that was being constantly topped up to ensure freshness, .. you really couldn't go wrong with the choice, including full cooked, cereals, toast, fruit , yogurts and fruit juices. To add to this, all the staff were extremely helpful and friendly, and we cerainly hope to go again!!

Room Tip: we stayed in family rooms with bunk beds, and even though there were plenty of people in the hotel...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank terry b
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

I stayed again at this Hotel from 24th September 2012 till 27th. This is the Third time I have stayed & will be going back in February 2013. I had Room Service whilst I was staying due to health reasons. I had 2 meals in my Room and all I can say is.. Very well presented & worth every penny. I highly recommend.All the Staff from check in to all the Housekeeping staff are Very Friendly & when they were switching to digital I had problems & I want to say a BIG THANK YOU to Kerry for all her help. A BIG HELLO & THANK YOU to All the porters especially Frank. All I need to say is that this Hotel is the only Hotel I will stay at. All the Staff go that EXTRA MILE! THANK YOU!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank littlelady1957
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marton
Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge
#9 of 11 in Middlesbrough
Jurys Inn Middlesbrough
Jurys Inn Middlesbrough
#4 of 11 in Middlesbrough

Been to Marton Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!