The Sidings Hotel
$76
Mercure
Travelocity
Orbitz.com
Best Western Burn Hall Hotel(Huby)(Great Value!)
$74
$53
Hotwire.com
$65
$63
Hotel Noir(Clifton)(Great Value!)
$69
$65
Marmadukes Town House Hotel(York)(Great Value!)
$117
$97
$136
getaroom.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsrailway carriagegreek nightold railwaytrains passingmain linerailway memorabiliacontinental breakfastgroupon dealtrain enthusiastsflying scotsmantrain linefour posterunique hotelfull englishpark and riderooms are smallchristmas present
Reviewed August 10, 2009

We were looking for somewhere to stay on our second night of a weekend trip to Yorkshire, and had real problems finding anywhere affordable that would allow us to stay for just one night - most B&Bs in the York area have a minimum 2 night stay. At the last minute, I found this hotel through Priceline (wasn't listed on Laterooms, who claimed it was full!) - we agreed it looked an interesting hotel and snapped it up at £49.

In spite of its relatively remote location a few miles from York, we found the hotel easily. We got a good impression on arrival - smart building (evidently an old station), loads of parking available. We were checked in quickly at the bar (no, there is not a dedicated reception - would that really be warranted with only 8 rooms?!) and the lovely, friendly Italian chap showed us to our room, asked if we wanted to dine at the restaurant and as we did, at what time.

We were really pleased with our room - a little cramped (well, it's a train carriage!), but clean, no sign of damp/condensation as mentioned before - however, this was a very warm, dry summer's day. The bathroom was fine too - again small, but thankfully a clean, properly plumbed bathroom, not as you might find on an actual train! Nice powerful shower too.

We went through for dinner, which was delicious - lasagne for me, steak for the OH and a shared garlic bread with anchovies which was fab. We skipped dessert and took our after-dinner pints of Peroni out to sit and watch the trains go by against the setting sun - bliss! As it got dark we went to the bar for another drink - all went on the room tab, which was handy. The pianist played songs ranging from The Wichita Lineman to Smells Like Teen Spirit - quite a mix! Most noise from the restaurant was gone by 10.15, and it was silent by the time we went to bed. I have to say, I heard absolutely no sound from the railway line after 11, and was not disturbed at all during my sleep (11.30-8.30).

We didn't hang around for the cooked breakfast, but cereal and toast were adequate. We ate this in the restaurant area, again watching the trains.

We would stay here agan and recommend to others. We loved the novelty of staying in a train carriage, and are not exactly rail enthusiasts! We'd had an exhausting day and it was great to relax in this manner rather than trail around York city centre on this occasion.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2009

stayed at the sidings and loved every minute of it, i have read earlier comments regarding damp and expensive, and i did not find these comments justifiable,
the price has come down and the staff are very friendly, regarding the comments people made about people not been around you have to remember this is primarily a resteraunt.
the room was clean and the 4 poster bed very comfy .
we will definetly return here
i have also read on other websites that it is only 5 mins from york, it is actually further than this about £12-£13 in a taxi, however maybe the owner will start some kind of shuttle service? nice one the sidings

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2008

Well, having read above reviews, i really had to try and salvage something for this place........I stayed there for two nights.....Whilst the idea of staying in a railway coach is novel, its just that.......The rooms are quite small, but everything you need is to hand.....tea and coffee making facilities, tv, The bathroom was nice, and the shower powerful and hot.......my room was clean and well prepared.....I arrived about 2pm and was greeted by a nice local girl, who took us down to our room and explained everything to us about breakfast and dinner etc.......
Into York we sallied.....and spent afternoon there.......city centre is only about 10 mins away on a sttraight road in........
On return, had shower and changed and along to restaurant......where we had a lovely meal.......not cheapest in world, but we both enjoyed it......my partner had a pizza which was superb, having pinched a bit........best ive tasted in a long while.........few drinks at bar and so to bed........
Morning came, and i nipped out front door for a smoke.......no one about in bar/reception area.....Lady appeared in car whilst i was standing outside....and started milling around restaurant area........I got talking to her and she said she was on duty for breakfast that day.......seemed in a bit of a flap, as she stated there was no chef on, and that she waz cooking and serving......however, the woman did a sterling job, and we had a large freshly cooked breakfast in jig time......toast and coffee with 2 top ups..........
Overall, i found the place to be a novel idea......i found staff friendly and helpful........management could do with sorting out staffing arrangements......restaurant was busy, but food was lovely........nice atmosphere.......
Would i go again????....yes......is £70 a night too dear for a "compartment" in coach?????...yes probabily.....Did i enjoy my stay????...i must say i did.......A trainspotters dream......a wooden walkway/balcony area sits right beside East Coast mainline.......sitting there with a pint and watching the expresses hurtle by is amazing.........The Hilton it isnt, but overall i had an enjoyable two dayz there.......

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank tailgunner
Reviewed August 14, 2008

My Husband booked it as a suprise break for us as we love York, And as it's not that far we spent the day there and stayed at El-Treno (unfortunatey).

This place is so decieving from the outside, Looks lovely.
When you get in the foyer looks quite nice, however no reception as such, Just greeted with a ''Bar man'' in a ''Chefs outfit'...exactly!!
When we asked what time Breakfast was the next day we were told from 7.30am or 8.00am he was unsure, Well if he didnt know who did???Afterall he was Receptionist/CHEF/Bar man!!!

My Husband advised them we had a room booked we got shown to the room/carriage we literally left our bags and went shopping to York. Upon return we went back to room and were absolutley distgusted with the standard of accomodation for £90.00 per night, Luckily it was just the 1 night.

It was damp, Smelly, Condensation running down windows, wasn't the cleanest of places either and decoration was dated the curtains were see through!!! How romantic!!! Also they were hanging off the rail, When you pulled them back there was cob webs and dust like it had been untouched since it was built back in the days.

We just went in the bar area and had a few drinks and were undecided wether to get our belongings and drive home, But they had our card details anyway and would have only billed us so we decided to just get drunk to get over it, Go to sleep and go home after Breakfast..........

Next morning we were woken by the terrible noise of the Trains and the sun shone though the tatty see through curtains so we woke up about 5am. We had to just wait until Breakfast at ''8.00am''. We needed to be out of there by 9.00am latest as we had very important appointment that day and would take 1 hour to get home for it.

We went for Breakfast and there was not a sole in sight we waited and waited at ''Reception'' no one came. I said to my Husband shall we just go home now and not bother, We couldnt as the main doors were locked!!!(What if there had been a fire??)

My Husband went looking around for someone this was approx 8.30am when we were greeted by a ''Chef'' who advised breakfast was at 9.30am. What hotel do you know that serves Breakfast from 9.30am?? I have never been anywhere that does!

He proceeded to advise us that he was severley unhappy, working there and thay were just extracting the urine for me to put it politley, He then starts crying and telling us his life story which i wouldn't repeat.

Anyway did we have Breakfast? NO! We just got the hll outta there and will never return i really wouldnt advise this so called Hotel to anyone i wouldn't have let my dog stay for the use of a boarding kennel. DONT GO THERE!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
4  Thank MyopinionWestYorks
Reviewed March 31, 2008

OK - I thought from their website that this was an old railway sidings converted into accommodation with a restauraunt. I did not expect to see tired, ancient railway carriages with condensation pouring down the windows to be offered as accommodation; sited right next to the main line into York!

When we got there (after 4pm) the place was shut and we could not locate a living soul. We had a look round and decided not to stay and managed to get through to someone later and told them it was not up to scratch. I wish I'd read the reviews here before I booked! I also wish there had been photos on their web site (which is suddenly "under construction" as of 31 Mar 2008) - I would never have chosen it in the first place. We went to stay at the Churchill in York instead - and that was GREAT!!! Thank you.

Stayed: March 2008